The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 12-15-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Well stated Rmz76.
Not everything Bruce wrote and sang about strikes a chord (pun unintended) with everyone, but everyone can certainly find something in some of his songs they can relate to.
It also depends on how deeply you want to go. As an example, "Born To Run" would mean nothing to somebody living in Des Moines, Iowa unless they connect the dots to the desire of youth trying to break free of convention and repression.
It is very poetic but very dramatic. A little too dramatic for me. I get it though, it was coming from inside him with a lot of angst and he was young.
Like I said, you have to dig deep.
??? I live in sweden. Born to run is my favorit BS album. ?????
Old 12-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I advise bypassing the music only release and go straight to the full boat including his "introductions" which are stand alone works of art.
I just downloaded on iTunes. Pure magic. Thanks Mr. Paul
Old 12-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
And the video performance is coming to Netflix later this month, right?
Tomorrow (Sunday, Dec. 16th)

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 12-16-2018, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Well stated Rmz76.
It also depends on how deeply you want to go. As an example, "Born To Run" would mean nothing to somebody living in Des Moines, Iowa unless they connect the dots to the desire of youth trying to break free of convention and repression.
But obviously if DID appeal to a whole lot of people living in Des Moines and Omaha, and Billings and Boise. That’s the thing about great popular art - it’s reach extends far beyond its subject matter. The music from West Side Story was very popular with lots and lots of people who’d never been in New York gangs too! I grew up in Arizona and Bruce was huge out there from his first album - not just after he hit big with Born to Run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
It's interesting that you mention his lack of imparting his political views into this work; I personally noted that during his later tours, between songs he seemed to feel the need to impress his political views on the audience. That disappointed me greatly each time it happened, as it kinda felt like being held hostage, but I tended to overlook it because, well ... it's Bruce.
He’s been pretty political almost as long as he’s been big. I saw him the night after Reagan got elected in 1980 - it was a well known show in Tempe (Phoenix area) that they filmed and released years later. He came out and talked about the election before he played a note of music. In ‘84 Reagan tried to use “Born in the USA” in his campaign until Bruce made him stop - Reagan seemed to think the song was a celebration of being born in the USA - he must not have actually listened to it. In addition to many concerts over the years (starting in the mid-70s), I saw him play at campaign rallies for Obama in ‘08 and for Hillary the night before the ‘16 election.

My point is he’s always been political - not just in later tours. Sometimes more overtly, sometimes just by doing stuff like using his concerts to support food drives or Vets organizations. I never minded, probably because I was in sync with his politics, but I can fully understand being put off by it if you disagreed with him. I can’t stand Ted Nugent, for example. But I kind of admire the honesty of anyone who’s willing to alientate half their audience to make a point that matters to them. And a lot of folks do seem willing to overlook it with Bruce - Chris Christie may be his biggest fan on earth (in any sense of the word) and their politics couldn’t be further apart...

I haven’t seen the Broadway performance yet, but I look forward to pulling up a seat and watching it on Netflix sometime in the next few days. And I’ll probably watch it a few more times after that too...

-Ray
Old 12-16-2018, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

After listening to the audio with the monologue I’m predicting he will get both a Grammy and a Tony. Can’t wait to see it on Netflix tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Tomorrow (Sunday, Dec. 16th)
Thank you. Just saw an ad online for it. Going to watch it soon (possibly this afternoon, while I change some strings).
Old 12-26-2018, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to have to give the program another try. It came up on Netflix not too long ago, and I started to listen to the show. However, when I heard the sound of that piezo pickup from his guitar, it just turned me off so fast that I just backed out of the program.

I just have very little tolerance for that sound from an acoustic guitar. Maybe on another day I will be less irritated with it. I have enjoyed some of Springsteen's music over the years.

- Glenn
Old 12-26-2018, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

I really enjoyed this show. Springsteen is an amazing story teller, and this one man show is a great journey through his life.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I'm going to have to give the program another try. It came up on Netflix not too long ago, and I started to listen to the show. However, when I heard the sound of that piezo pickup from his guitar, it just turned me off so fast that I just backed out of the program.

I just have very little tolerance for that sound from an acoustic guitar. Maybe on another day I will be less irritated with it. I have enjoyed some of Springsteen's music over the years.

- Glenn
That’s funny Glenn because I started watching it on Christmas Day and noted the same thing but it does not bother me too bad. We’ll have to send Bruce over to James May at Tonedexter/Audio Sprockets.

I could only watch the first 30 minutes so will watch it again in the next day or two.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
That’s funny Glenn because I started watching it on Christmas Day and noted the same thing but it does not bother me too bad. We’ll have to send Bruce over to James May at Tonedexter/Audio Sprockets.
Too funny. I have watched the Netflix release twice in the last week. Amazing show from a soulful man. He was able to coax nice tone out his Takamines a couple of times during the show, most notably for me on "The Rising". His delivery is packed with such soul and emotion, though, the guitar tone almost doesn't matter.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:46 PM

Spot on review, Rmz76.

I never was a big fan of Springsteen's but I did enjoy the show. He is quite the story teller with an uncanny ability to transport you to his town/hood/street back in the 60s and 70s. It's like I was there. (I'm of his vintage so I can actually relate).

Don't watch to hear the E Street band and don't expect stellar acoustic guitar playing/sound. You won't hear that. But do watch for the great stories. Well worth your time.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 AM

I too recently watched Bruce and his show and was floored by how eloquent and well spoken he was. I’ve always been a fan of some of his early work but I was amazed at his ability as a storyteller. Far as I could tell there was no script, rather a true artist sharing his life story so clearly and honestly I was truly moved to the point of tears a few times. Some of my other family members were in the room and they just didn’t get it. He is truly one of our living legends.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN