The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 08:34 AM

Default Folding guitar

I was looking through the local Facebook ads and stumbled upon a used Voyage Air VAOM-04BK guitar for a decent price. I liked it when I tried it out so I picked it up. I am going to visit my daughter in Colorado for a few weeks when my second grandchild is born early next year and this means I won’t be guitarless during the visit.

Anyone else using one of these folding guitars? If so, what do you think?

http://www.voyageairguitar.com
Old 08-23-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Lots of love here for Voyage Air. I just got mine a little while ago and am very happy with it. Much better tone and play-ability for me than some of the smaller "travel" guitars I tried. Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:03 AM

I had a VA-OM-04 a few years ago when I was doing a lot of travelling for work and it was by far the best travel guitar I was able to find.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 AM

Default Folding guitar

The guy I bought it from was selling it because he had upgraded to their high end $2k model. While I was there I tried that one out and it was easily as good as my Martin D15M. He had a Fishman Blend in that one and it sounded great both acoustically and amplified.

Once as year he travels to Europe and plays a series of clubs there. That’s what sparked his interest in the folding guitar. He says that he just breaks even but that it is a lot of fun. I need to figure out how to pull that off! Lol!

The VAOM-04BK that I got has a great action and perfect intonation. It is not as rich in the low end as my Martin but it certainly sounds as good as most guitars in the same price range.

It came with a Fishman Rare Earth magnetic pickup but I am going to sell it and replace it with my favorite pickup, a Schertler AG-6/S-Mic. The Fishman Rare Earth pickup sounds surprisingly good actually, but I really like having a mic blended in.

The case it comes in has room for my iPad Pro which I also like to carry on when I fly. I have tried several other travel guitars. I didn’t like the Martin Backpacker. I do like my Yamaha Silent guitar, but I always feel like I am pushing the size boundaries when I carry it on a plane. This guitar is also Uber-able which is kind of cool. I drive a Mini-Cooper Clubman and this fits in the trunk area without folding down one of the back seats.

I was surprised at how much I like it. When it is unfolded, it really looks and plays like a decent acoustic guitar.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I used a Voyage Air for a few tours in Europe and the U.K. While certainly convenient, they are no comparison to a standard, well-made acoustic guitar. Another huge problem was the way the saddle sat in the bridge. Mine was leaning a bit, which caused the bridge to completely break apart. VA did make good on the repair, but I lost faith in the instrument after that.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
....I was surprised at how much I like it. When it is unfolded, it really looks and plays like a decent acoustic guitar.
The OM-02 that I had (laminated top and body) was a pretty good guitar, but the solid wood models are definitely better. Mine mostly live assembled in an aftermarket gig bag. I would fold it routinely just to show off the capability, but had little reason to keep it folded up in its travel bag.

I ended up selling mine for two reasons: I wasn't travelling much anymore, so no longer needed the folding capability. The friend who bought it does a lot of motorcycle touring each summer, and the backpack worked perfectly for that.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:45 PM

Just got back from a trip to Norway where my VAD-04, since it was my carryon, was the only piece of luggage that didn't get lost for the week.

Played/sang for my cousin's wedding rehearsal dinner. It was great.

I've got a K&K in mine and have used it for gigs as well.

Very happy with the purchase. I've had it 5+ years now.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:46 PM

I do not yet own one, but have played several models. Liked every one! Now that I drive my Polaris Slingshot as often as possible, a Voyage Air has moved well up on The List!

cotten
Old 08-23-2018, 03:29 PM

One of the hidden features of the Voyage Air is the surprised look on everyone’s face when you fold it in two. I love mine.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:35 PM

From what I have seen and heard, they are a decent guitar but personally, I would buy something else for travel. Each to their own and for those that like them, it's the next best thing since sliced bread.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

This one’s available on eBay.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:31 PM

"Any bike is foldable if you crash it hard enough." Phil Gaimon. The same can apply to guitars.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:25 PM

Not sure if the OP is teasing us a bit or not, since his join date is almost 10 years ago, and the Voyage-Air has come up a time or two...

I don't have one, but I did get to borrow one during one of the AGF road-trips.

If I traveled a lot, I'd definitely have one. Would have been awesome in university with all the road trips we took, but that was well before Harv invented them.

Hers is my review from 2010:

http://rocketsong.blogspot.com/2010/...ne-foldey.html
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a VAD-2 on sale a number of years ago. I have traveled via plane, buss, train, motorcycle and boat with it. It is a really nice guitar with the benefit of easy travel. I have a K&K mini and mic combo and plugged in it sounds sweet.

If given the choice I would prefer to have one of my Furch Guitars with me but the Voyage air holds its own in any situation.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-23-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I used a Voyage Air for a few tours in Europe and the U.K. While certainly convenient, they are no comparison to a standard, well-made acoustic guitar....
I appreciate your opinion on these Toby but will politely and strongly disagree. I have a VAD-1 that I purchased from Harv. I have taken mine around the world a couple of times touring and have passed it around many recording studios and no session guitar-dude I know has ever said anything but how great a guitar it is. They, to a person, have been completely amazed when I showed them it folded. Like stated above, it is as well built and sounding as any (read ANY) guitar in the price range to include well-known top-tier all-solid guitars. They are in fact "well-made acoustic guitar"s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion