The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Just like OpaJohn said, they were everywhere! Seems you always bought E or B strings, and though there probably were sets of them, you never bought those. No kid could afford one of those orange boxes of Gibsons, let alone a package of Fender Flatwounds Just like Guy Clark said "...you play Black Diamond strings, 'cause that all you can get." There is another song about them specifically as well, cannot remember the artist...will look it up.

Flash to the new Black diamond strings. Won a set a Kaufman's Acoustic Kamp last June. Couldn't wait to try them on my Guild D55 (yeah, right!).
But let me tell you, they were really nice! Must have used them on the Guild all summer, in fact they were on it (or could have been) when the poor girl met her demise through the band saw at New Hartford (another story)...but bottom line they are good and last a long time.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:09 PM

Yes, I remember Black Diamond strings by National Musical String Co. In fact, I was going to school at Rutgers University, just down the road from where the factory was in New Brunswick, NJ. The brand name has been revived by another corporation (I believe they're in Florida somewhere). They seem to be better strings than the originals... they sure cost more.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:52 PM

I can remember two of those brands about equally common in the UK in the early-mid 60s. Can anyone remember what the other was? Red somethings?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
I mean the old sixties brand, most were rusty out of the package... I remember the first time I saw someone slide their finger up the little E, I thought they were crazy, Black Diamond was all that was available to me.
I remember them, but I don't think I ever used them.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 PM

I remember them all too well - those things destroyed more necks than Joseph Ignace Guillotin , and were probably the reason Martin got away from scalloped bracing. I had the opportunity to do a basic setup job on a local senior citizen's '50s Gibson electric a couple years back, and he not only had a set on the guitar but two spare sets in the case pocket. Poor guy was 95 with arthritis in both hands, hadn't picked it up in years thanks to the BD's; replaced them with D'Addario 12-52 flats, told me his guitar never played/sounded so good...
Old 12-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 PM

They remind me of a time when any guitar you could play F on was a real good one.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I remember them all too well - those things destroyed more necks than Joseph Ignace Guillotin , and were probably the reason Martin got away from scalloped bracing. I had the opportunity to do a basic setup job on a local senior citizen's '50s Gibson electric a couple years back, and he not only had a set on the guitar but two spare sets in the case pocket. Poor guy was 95 with arthritis in both hands, hadn't picked it up in years thanks to the BD's; replaced them with D'Addario 12-52 flats, told me his guitar never played/sounded so good...
From my understanding,Black Diamond made a heavy gauge set that some players would use to get more volume out of their guitars. Then like now Martin and other dreads were only braced for mediums, which over time caused the structural problems.

I think that any player from the 60's most likely remembers Black Diamond strings. They were like D'Addario are now in that most every music shop carried them.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
I mean the old sixties brand, most were rusty out of the package... I remember the first time I saw someone slide their finger up the little E, I thought they were crazy, Black Diamond was all that was available to me.
Now that is a blast from the past !
Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

Their propensity to rust was increased by the blood left on them after they ripped my fingers to shreads ;-)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz_2006 View Post
Lord I wish I had some guitar strings Old Black Diamond brand
I'd string up this old Martin box and go and join some band
But I guess I'll just stay right here just pick and sing a while
Try to make me a little change and give them folks a smile.
Get myself a rockin' chair
To see if I can lose
Them thin dime hard times
Hell on Church Street blues.
Yep- What he said ^^^
Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Over here it was Black Diamond or Rotosound. I don't recall either sounding good for long. Good being a relative term.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 PM

I see these strings are made in New Brunswick New Jersey. Might as well be like New Jersey, rusty, and falling apart.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

I used em on my Gibson LG 2. I think I paid about $2 for a set and changed them every weekend before I played.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Oh yeah. I remember the windings used to slip.

I'm sure it was related to the fact that when I was playing Black Diamonds, I was too broke to change a whole set at a time.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion