The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Wade In The Water (SOTW #25)

Here is another great old tune that has been covered by alot of artists, including our own kscobie8 (honestly, I'm not trying to be a copycat-really).

You'll find that my version is significantly different. I was highly influenced by the new start-up group, "Larkin Poe" (previously the Lovell Sisters), and I'm striving for a more traditional bluegrass sound (I hope I came close).

Give Larkin Poe a listen, they are great.

As always, any suggestions on how I can improve this song, or my playing in general are always welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1n5T6_el9A

Steve
Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Nice job Steve. The first thing I noticed is the addition of some rhythm especially on on the little percussive slap. Still some room to grow, but this has way more fluidity and is far less mechanical! Great improvement!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 PM
AGF Administrator

I agree with Roy. Some more "feeling" in this one than I've heard in your others. I enjoyed this one and found myself bobbing my head to it. Nice job.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Thumbs up

Nice. Doesn't sound like it's easy to sing back and forth like that.

Everybody may already know this, but this is what I think about when I hear this song...from wiki...

"Many internet sources and popular books claim that songs such as "Wade in the Water" contained explicit instructions to fugitive slaves on how to avoid capture and the route to take to successfully make their way to freedom.[2] This particular song allegedly recommends leaving dry land and taking to the water as a strategy to throw pursuing bloodhounds off one's trail."

Of course, although the black slaves did have it VERY bad, so did many other cultures and races over the course of human history (Irish, Jewish, etc.)....and someday we may be in disbelief at the way we treat poor people right now in this country.(hopefully)

This song is very eerie and for me- you can just kind of feel the "ghosts" associated with it

Good job with it! You captured the eerie-ness about it and I liked it!!! (problem is it will be stuck in my head all day)

Last edited by George Bailey; 06-27-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Nice job Steve. The first thing I noticed is the addition of some rhythm especially on on the little percussive slap. Still some room to grow, but this has way more fluidity and is far less mechanical! Great improvement!
Thanks for the feedback, Roy. Nice to see the trial n error is getting me some improvement. It was another fun song to work through.

Steve
Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Whippersnapper

Steve, very nice! Really like the rhythm you've got going on here, especially with how you go from plucking the whole chord, to strumming with flesh, then to do the magic pick switch trick to give a bit more bite to your attack. It's a nice way to build the music and explore different sounds.

Thanks for sharing!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I agree with Roy. Some more "feeling" in this one than I've heard in your others. I enjoyed this one and found myself bobbing my head to it. Nice job.
Thanks for listening, Jeremy. I'm excited to hear that you got more 'feeling' from this one. Head bobbin' is always good too.

Steve
Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Hi Steve:
Definitely one of your best. Accompaniment is subdued and good. And lots more of "feeling" in this one. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
Nice. Doesn't sound like it's easy to sing back and forth like that.

Everybody may already know this, but this is what I think about when I hear this song...from wiki...

"Many internet sources and popular books claim that songs such as "Wade in the Water" contained explicit instructions to fugitive slaves on how to avoid capture and the route to take to successfully make their way to freedom.[2] This particular song allegedly recommends leaving dry land and taking to the water as a strategy to throw pursuing bloodhounds off one's trail."

Of course, although the black slaves did have it VERY bad, so did many other cultures and races over the course of human history (Irish, Jewish, etc.)....and someday we may be in disbelief at the way we treat poor people right now in this country.(hopefully)

This song is very eerie and for me- you can just kind of feel the "ghosts" associated with it

Good job with it! You captured the eerie-ness about it and I liked it!!! (problem is it will be stuck in my head all day)
Thanks for listening, Ryder.

You're right, the song is challenging vocally - one of the biggest tricks was to find a key where I could hit both the low notes and the high notes.

There are plenty of other versions out there that focus less on the eerie flavor, like Eva Cassidy's, but I wanted something a little more traditional.

Steve
Old 07-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
Steve, very nice! Really like the rhythm you've got going on here, especially with how you go from plucking the whole chord, to strumming with flesh, then to do the magic pick switch trick to give a bit more bite to your attack. It's a nice way to build the music and explore different sounds.

Thanks for sharing!

Bel isi,
-kyle
Thanks, Kyle, glad you enjoyed it. It took a while to work this out and some trial and error, but it seemed to come together in the end.

That's one of things that has been rewarding to see with this SOTW journey. It seems like my music is slowly begining to move from one-dimensional towards two-dimensional. Not sure that's the right description, but you know what I mean.

Steve
Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly5834 View Post
Hi Steve:
Definitely one of your best. Accompaniment is subdued and good. And lots more of "feeling" in this one. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, Philly, appreciate the feedback.

Steve
Old 07-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Another good song choice and something that stretches your skills! Well done, Steve.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Another good song choice and something that stretches your skills! Well done, Steve.
Thanks, Bob - yup there was some stretching, but in a good way.

STeve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell