The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racman View Post
Well Keith, I too have an issue with all the beautiful guitars you own .........I'm green with envy!!!!!!

On a serious note, I don't believe owning and appreciating a beautifully crafted and sounding instrument should be the preserve of only the most accomplished players.

If that was the criteria I would not have the opportunity to enjoy the journey I am currently on to own a Cornerstone Zion or the upcoming Bashkin. Even one sweet note played and appreciated by the most unskilled player stirs an emotion in the soul.

That's just my humble opinion though - I'm never impressed in the least by my playing, but for some reason I still keep on picking up the instrument.

Thanks for sharing Keith - don't stop please!!
Glad to. I love Peter's work and Bashkin too, what beauties he builds. There are so many talented builders out there, how tragic that most players have not only not heard of Ryan and Olson, much less all of these other builders on AGF. Funny in the AGF world, sometimes you think that is the entire acoustic guitar world when in reality it is a tiny piece.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 08-27-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
That's some spectacular Brazilian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
the brazilian on this build is pretty impressive..
wow, thanks guys, I don't feel like deserving all this compliments...
Old 08-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Just my 2 cents...

Keith, When I read David's post, I really didn't take it as a slight at all. You have so many wonderful builds posted, and we love them and thank you for taking us along for the ride. I do not want to put words in David's mouth (or that of anyone else, either). I think he was just noting that he would love to hear some music from the wonderful guitars you've put together. I really appeciate your collection, and still feel blessed by the few that I've been able to have.

David, Thank you for posting your version of Misty. What a gorgeous song! I think it was originally written as an instrumental (piano) in the mid '50s and first recorded with words in the late '50s. I love what you've done with it!

Keith, 7 kids! Whew! I'm surprised you get much time at all to practice. I look forward to an audio post or two (or even more) when you do find the time. I love the music folks on the AGF play and post for us, and even though I'm mediocre (at best), it does inspire me to practice more. And, my guitars add to that inspiration.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I have gotten other PM's from other people asking what is David's problem with me and why he always comes at me with such an edge. Don't really have an answer, he apparently takes issue with the guitars that I have, the builds that I do, or maybe takes issue that I have all this nice gear and am not a full time musician who spends the time necessary to adequately appreciate all of them. I allocate what I can to music which amounts to about 8 or 10 hours a week. That is on top of a work schedule that is easily 70 hours plus playing on an ice hockey team, a Dad to 7 children, and other obligations that are CPA firm or real estate related.

The way I look at it, is I am perfectly free to choose to play with the nicest gear I can afford if that is what I want to do. Our studio gear is all top notch gear and yes I have a full studio where we practice two days a week and the rest of the time (gasp) it sits empty. Why? Because I can afford to do so. Is it a waste of resouces? Probably but again my choice. It is a benefit of having a successful business being able to not struggle to get what you want. Don't get my wrong, I am about the hardest working guy I know... I work 12 hour days like they were nothing and often work 16 hours. So it is that willingness to sacrifice of my time that gets me an advantage over all the sleeping people in the world from 3:30 am to about 7:00 am when I am working.

When our band needs or wants something, we get it. We want shirts, we buy them.

We want stickers, we order them:

Incidently, if you want a mo'gravy sticker, send me an email with the subject Mo' Gravy Sticker and if I can manage the requests, I will send you a free sticker. Send to [email protected]

Nothing much else to add.
Keith,

Sorry you took my post to such extremes. I see no "edge" to what I wrote. I don't have issues with the many fine guitars you own, your builds, your fine gear (I didn't know you had a studio with recording gear before this post) or that you are not a professional musician. Most pros don't have the quality or quantity of guitars you have. Why would that be an issue for me? Someone mentioned jealousy. How way off target that is! You have some fine guitars. I have some too. I'm not in the least jealous of what you have. What I have work for me. I have played guitars by all the luthiers you have guitars from. I know how good they are.

I have read lots of your posts on builds, woods, sounds, the differences of wood combinations, etc. You know guitars and how they are built. You've had lots of experience with hundreds of guitars. I appreciate all that. Your signature proudly lists great guitars, and you have more being built all the time. That's cool that you can do that. I have no jealousy about that whatsoever. I was just asking for sound samples of your guitars, so that I could hear, or try to hear, differences among them that you seem to hear because you have so many of different kinds. Not many other members here have the kind of collection you do. I do know a few who do, and have heard many of their guitars close up and live. It's quite an experience.

I included a recording I did when I played a Paul Woolson road trip guitar. I know how guitars that speak to you can inspire you to new heights. That was my point. Paul's guitar sounded so good to me, it stretched me to reach to a place I hadn't been before, because the sound of the guitar was so delicious.

Your fine collection must indeed inspire you. There has to be more than just the build process that interests you. The music that comes out of the guitar is the ultimate reward. That's all I was asking for. Some sound clips of you playing what you own. Sorry if it came off as too persistent or pushy. If you get to it, fine. If not, that's okay. I won't ask anymore.

Cheers,

David

P.S.: As a side note, I'm doing my part to add to the number of posts on this thread to help make up for the shortage you noted between the two Olson builds you have posted about. Maybe it'll catch up.

Last edited by David Hilyard; 08-28-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Some people have mastered the art of backpedaling. Some people have mastered the art of "If it doesn't apply let it fly..." Me, I am attempting to master the art of choosing subjects which will further me in my final goal. To become the best Musician I can with the best Instruments and Equipment I can acquire. Thankfully the Gods of True Musicians are helping me obtain some Instruments and Equipment to which I am so grateful words would be merely a precursor of greater things to come. It all begins with a kindhearted Musical Soul...

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Keith is passionate about boutique guitars. I fully understand. When someone is passionate about something they want to spread that passion.

As I've mentioned before, my biggest mistake of 2008 was selling my 1995 Olson SJ Indian RW non-cutaway. It was the most beautiful sounding instrument I've ever played. My wife and I both have side jobs (me: music; her: writing books and speaking engagements). She told me to not make a profit this year. Spend down your music account. Hmmm, now how could I do that?

I'm paying for my 2010 Olson SJ Braz one gig at a time. Tonight I will make 1/200th the price of the guitar. I feel blessed to be able to rectify my mistake (which I can assure you won't happen again).

I've been working hard, too. Not Bolting hard, but hard for me. I teach full time and play three nights per week. Summer's are off from teaching, but the gig schedule increases.

I am about a month and a half away from having all of the money for my build. Whoot! It is kind of cool to know that my guitar was paid for by music/songs.

Excuse all of this rambling. By the way, if I had never played an Olson in the first place, I would have been forever happy with top-o-the-line Martin and Taylor guitars. But the sound from that 1995 caused my jaw to drop upon every first strum after taking it out of its case.

I tried to buy it back from the nice guy who bought it. No luck. Oh well, I really needed a cutaway.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 PM

P.S. I'll be performing at the Minnesota State Fair on Wednesday on the Joe Soucheray show (KSTP AM 1500). If you can pick up the station, tune in.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Amazing photos!

Btw, I know nothing about guitar building, but it there a chip in portman's neck?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:15 AM

Is this thread back in friendly mode? And are we again talking about what this thread is about:
Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post
Is this thread back in friendly mode? And are we again talking about what this thread is about:
They really are works of art... but aside from that and more importantly, they are stellar acoustic machines. My Olson dread from 1995 still continues to amaze me on how good it sounds!. The biggest problem is that when you are done playing it and pickup another (like my band mate's D-42 custom shop)... his sounds like a dog and objectively it is a really nice guitar!

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Any new pictures to update us with?

Ona side note, I only ask you CPA as you have quite the collection, any chance of a Somogyi build thread any time soon?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke_zero View Post
Any new pictures to update us with?

Ona side note, I only ask you CPA as you have quite the collection, any chance of a Somogyi build thread any time soon?
Not at this point.... but I have some prospective builds I am mulling over.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 PM

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 AM

Having played one 2003 Olson just 2 days back, I kept on thinking about that guitar. The articulation of each note and the playability is what I yearn for. So for now, I will be joining in for all Olson build thread to enjoy all these beautiful piece of artwork and excellent guitars!!
2013 Martin 000-45ECM
2018 GS Mini Walnut
Kostal German/Braz

Gone to a better place:
1999 Applause guitar (Given away)
1997 Taylor 912ce Cindy
2005 Jeff Yong JJ Euro/Macassar
2006 Doerr Legacy German/Madagascar
2009 Simon Fay OM Redwood/Koa
Omega GC on order
2011 Collings OM2H
2013 Collings 0-42G
2003 Olson Cedar/IRW
Old 09-10-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Having played one 2003 Olson just 2 days back, I kept on thinking about that guitar. The articulation of each note and the playability is what I yearn for. So for now, I will be joining in for all Olson build thread to enjoy all these beautiful piece of artwork and excellent guitars!!
They are amazing up and down the fingerboard and across the strings too!

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop