The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Default My first open Mic

I enjoyed reading the other open mic stories. Tonight, I did my first one. I am glad to have it over with. I am sure that I will do a better job moving forward. I knew that I would be nervous and probably play too fast, but I had no idea that I would go at mach speed and make so many on the fly changes to the song (nice way of saying screwing up). I didn't intend to go that fast, but my adrenalin just took over and got the best of me. Note to self, no energy drinks next time.

I don't sing so I play only instrumentals. I have youtube videos of two of the tunes that I played (two toeheads and Make it Right). I played both of them at about twice the speed that they were intended. Likewise with my third song flew as well. It wouldn't have mattered much if I would have played them cleanly, but I was pretty terrible.

It is all good.
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy
Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Maybe it only sounded fast from where you were sitting! How did the audience react?

and...

Woodbury? You must live right around the corner from my folks. Where was the open mic? The last one I played in St. Paul was 33 years ago in a place called the Haberdashery, which has since burned down. I swear, my performance had nothing to do with it!

and one more thing ...

Woodbury should be described as being 10 minutes from St. Paul! Minneapolis? Where's that?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 AM

I just watched a bunch of your YouTubes. I like your taste in guitars (especially the OMC you play in your vids).

I'm sure the open mike was richer for your contribution. We get a lot of hack strummers at our open mikes, and the occasional picker always makes my night!
1916 Martin 2 Uke
1950s Martin 1 Uke
2007 Laughlin 3K Uke
2007 Dominator Spruce Uke
Old 05-04-2009, 01:24 AM

Too bad the nerves got the better of you, but at least you got up there and played.

I have no advice about getting over the nerves, I get them pretty bad myself (and play too fast, leading to some interesting mistakes). It's a shame that playing in front of people can make some people so uncomfortable, but some say it'll go better the more you do it, of course.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 AM
happiness

Congratulations on getting up there and playing! I'm one of those who's done this recently, so I know exactly how stressful it can be. As others have said, perhaps the audience were less aware of your mistakes than you were, after all they haven't heard the way you usually play the songs, and sometimes we can be our own worst critics. But in any case, now that you've done it once it will be easier next time.

I like your taste in guitars too - I love Andy Manson's instruments!

Fliss
Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 AM

Default Responses

Quote:
Maybe it only sounded fast from where you were sitting! How did the audience react?

and...

Woodbury? You must live right around the corner from my folks. Where was the open mic? The last one I played in St. Paul was 33 years ago in a place called the Haberdashery, which has since burned down. I swear, my performance had nothing to do with it!

and one more thing ...

Woodbury should be described as being 10 minutes from St. Paul! Minneapolis? Where's that?
The audience was small and generous. They applauded and were supportive, but my wife, kid and a friend were there and they told me that I usually play much better.

Yep, Woodbury is about 15 minutes from St. Paul. I prefer the east side over Minneapolis, but folks not around here aren't familiar with St. Paul. The place I played is called The Coffee Grounds over by the state fair grounds. Good place. I have seen many a fine picker there.

Quote:
I just watched a bunch of your YouTubes. I like your taste in guitars (especially the OMC you play in your vids).

I'm sure the open mike was richer for your contribution. We get a lot of hack strummers at our open mikes, and the occasional picker always makes my night!
Thanks. I have had a hard time getting to where I know which guitars I really like. I have gone through a bunch of them and it seems like it always comes down to the OMC and the Manson. The OMC is perhaps the best playing and sounding guitar I have played (I haven't tried a Ryan, Olson, or any of the other fancy ones that I read about here, but I have tried many others at The Podium in dinky town). The OMC is kind of beat up through years of abuse, but I still love it.

Also, there were 2 really good fingerpickers there last night. The host is a fingerpicker and so was this guy named Lonnie Knight. Lonnie is a pro that does a lot of shows, and it shows. He was great. There were a good bit of strummers singing old timey tunes there as well.

Quote:
Congratulations on getting up there and playing! I'm one of those who's done this recently, so I know exactly how stressful it can be. As others have said, perhaps the audience were less aware of your mistakes than you were, after all they haven't heard the way you usually play the songs, and sometimes we can be our own worst critics. But in any case, now that you've done it once it will be easier next time.

I like your taste in guitars too - I love Andy Manson's instruments!
You know who Andy Manson is? You must be from England. I got your Myspace friend request and will be checking out your site later today. I look forward too it. The Manson is a mighty fine guitar. Mighty fine. I commissioned it 11 years ago and have had it for 10 years. I just love that guitar.

Congrats on you getting up there too. We all have to take that first step some time. Some take it better than others. I tripped a little too much.

Thanks to all for the support. I will try again in 2 weeks. I can't do any worse!
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 AM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpickerguy View Post
...You know who Andy Manson is? You must be from England.
Yes indeed!

Quote:
...I got your Myspace friend request and will be checking out your site later today. I look forward too it. The Manson is a mighty fine guitar. Mighty fine. I commissioned it 11 years ago and have had it for 10 years. I just love that guitar.
I tried out a Magpie last year, in Hugh Manson's shop in Exeter, beautiful guitar. If yours has the lightness and responsiveness of the one I tried, I'm sure it is a wonderful guitar. I too have the good fortune to have a custom guitar made by Andy Manson, a yew/German spruce parlour which you can see in my profile pic on my Myspace page. I commissioned mine around seven months ago and have had it for around five months!

Quote:
...Congrats on you getting up there too. We all have to take that first step some time. Some take it better than others. I tripped a little too much.

Thanks to all for the support. I will try again in 2 weeks. I can't do any worse!
I'm trying again in around 2 weeks too (14th May, I think is the next one) so perhaps we can do some "second open mic" threads after that

Fliss

Last edited by Fliss; 05-04-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: conciseness!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 AM

You've got some chops man. You will do great at these open mics once you get a couple under your belt. I wish I could play like you! If it weren't for the ability to sing a little (emphasis on a little) I wouldn't even dare try to entertain anybody with my guitar skillls.

I'm going to do my 3rd Open Mic tommorrow night if I can make the arrangements with the wife to stay downtown after work. It's a blast and the crowd is mostly other musicians so I think they appreciate the little talent that I show them as well as the effort and guts it takes to play out.

http://www.robharmon.net
http://reverbnation.com/robharmon
Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Congratulations,

Remember 99% of the world never performs in front of others, it takes some "internal fortitude".

Every time does get a little bit easier, my very first was in the late 60's, I can't remember how scared I was, but I know I was semi-terrified....it goes away with repetition.

You took a big step, focus on that, the performing will polish up with practice.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM

I watched your Youtubes too and like everyone else I think you have NOTHING to worry about! You're a fine player and that will come through the more you play in public. All the chops are there.

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 AM

There is no substitute or shortcut for performing well live. What I would suggest is to find a handful of folks who play there regularly and see if they are up to work-shopping songs with you (or other musicians that you know). you may also be able to find a class at a local music school that will give you honest feedback.

I am in Chicago, and we are blessed with the Old Town School of Folk Music (great classes for musicians at prices musicians can afford). I took a class called "Open Stage 101", and it helped me immensely. My teacher helped me with vocal technique, vocal phrasing, key selection, and tempo on my originals... as well as teaching us how to set up PAs, and set EQs etc....
Since we were preforming in front of the class every week, we all got in 8 low stress performances, and you could see huge differences in the confidence of everyone.

Just keep getting up there, and practice your tail off when you aren't up there. It is amazing how much muscle memory will take over for you.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Yep, Woodbury is about 15 minutes from St. Paul. I prefer the east side over Minneapolis, but folks not around here aren't familiar with St. Paul. The place I played is called The Coffee Grounds over by the state fair grounds. Good place. I have seen many a fine picker there.
Maybe I can try that place when I'm up there visiting. Are you in Woodbury proper? I'm looking forward to checking out you videos tonight!
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 AM

I got to watch your vids this morning and agree with everyone else - you've got no worries. Go for it again for sure.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You've got some chops man. You will do great at these open mics once you get a couple under your belt. I wish I could play like you! If it weren't for the ability to sing a little (emphasis on a little) I wouldn't even dare try to entertain anybody with my guitar skillls.

I'm going to do my 3rd Open Mic tommorrow night if I can make the arrangements with the wife to stay downtown after work. It's a blast and the crowd is mostly other musicians so I think they appreciate the little talent that I show them as well as the effort and guts it takes to play out.
Thanks a bunch. You are too kind.

How did your 3rd one go?

Quote:
I'm trying again in around 2 weeks too (14th May, I think is the next one) so perhaps we can do some "second open mic" threads after that
Knock 'em dead. I checked out your myspace. Loved your stuff and I really dig that Manson Parlor. I am a bit jealous.

Out of curiosity, what does a Magpie go for these days?

Quote:
I watched your Youtubes too and like everyone else I think you have NOTHING to worry about! You're a fine player and that will come through the more you play in public. All the chops are there.
Thanks a bunch. I'll be sneaking around looking for your stuff to check out too.

Quote:
Maybe I can try that place when I'm up there visiting. Are you in Woodbury proper? I'm looking forward to checking out you videos tonight!
Woodbury proper. I am off of Radio and Lake in the Marsh Creek development. I graduated from Woodbury high in '89. So, I have been a Woodbury guy for quite some time. Also, thanks for the complement.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
happiness

Quote:
...I checked out your myspace. Loved your stuff and I really dig that Manson Parlor. I am a bit jealous.

Out of curiosity, what does a Magpie go for these days?
Thank you very much for your kind comments. I'll PM you about the Magpie.

Fliss

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell