The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Humidipak Packets Last 6 Months?

So at the end of March I removed the D'Addario Humidipak system from 4 guitars (I live in Illinois and typically humidify from November through March)

I stored the idle Humidipaks in a desk drawer in my basement guitar room. I checked on them today and each pak was still soft & supple and ready for action. I expected to find each of them dried out and in need of replacement. Has anyone else had these paks last that long?

I will say that we have had a somewhat typical spring/summer season, maybe a little on the dry side but nothing too unusual. And, my house utilizes central air so there is no wild swing of humidity going on.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I put a set in my Lowden’s case in December, 2018, and another set in my Brook’s case in December, 2019. They have remained in the cases and they are still good. I believe that, as they are two-way and maintain the in-case RH at around 49% no matter what the ambient RH is doing, there’s no point taking them out of the cases ‘for storage’ - during the humid summer months they recharge naturally as they remove humidity from the air in the case.

That’s my theory, and it seems to be working...

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-26-2020, 04:00 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I got lazy this year and just kept mine in the cases with the guitars all summer. Part of the reason is I bought some new guitars and wanted to be sure they were properly humidified. They are all still plenty fat. I suspect that’s pretty typical if you aren’t in an extremely dry environment.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 09-26-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
So at the end of March I removed the D'Addario Humidipak system from 4 guitars (I live in Illinois and typically humidify from November through March)

I stored the idle Humidipaks in a desk drawer in my basement guitar room. I checked on them today and each pak was still soft & supple and ready for action. I expected to find each of them dried out and in need of replacement. Has anyone else had these paks last that long?

I will say that we have had a somewhat typical spring/summer season, maybe a little on the dry side but nothing too unusual. And, my house utilizes central air so there is no wild swing of humidity going on.
As one who used to live in Illinois, I can say that is a somewhat humid state. Remember also the packs are intended to maintain a certain level of humidity so it's entirely possible your home is close to the humidity level they are designed to maintain.

Along with that, don't forget your guitar room is in your basement. When I lived in Illinois my room was also in the basement which was the most humid area of the house.

And lastly, it's also possible your drawer is probably not opened regularly and could very well be a tight fitting drawer so the humidity level stayed constant.

Just sayin'
PJ
Old 09-26-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Yep, I get it about the 2 way system. My usual behavior is that my guitars hang on the wall during spring and summer which is why I just put the paks away.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:16 PM

I've had my set in the case with my custom guitar for the last 2yrs. Still fluid feeling, with no stiffness anywhere.
No complaints from my end.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 09-27-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Depends on where you live and what time of year it is. Have had same pacs in my Gibson case since Feb. But when temp gets down in the teens and below, humidity goes to 00
Old 09-28-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post

I mean, I live in IL too, why not help against over humidity in the summer? Plus I find my AC makes things pretty dry too.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:19 PM

My understanding is that the Boveda HumidiPaks are good at releasing moisture in dry conditions, but have a limited capability to absorb it above their 49% set point. Calling them a two-way solution is..... a bit generous. If you need to dehumidify, then silica gel desiccant packs are needed.

As with all things humidity related, knowledge is power. Get a hygrometer and measure what is happening inside your case and inside your house. If the packs are still squishy after six months, you probably don't actually need them. Any reasonably steady indoor RH between 40-50% is considered ideal, and a few hours of excursion a few points either way is not immediately life threatening.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I think they do okay 2 way, Mine always keep me at 55% humidity even on ridiculously humid days. That’s fine with me. By recharging in the winter I’ve had them last a year.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:46 PM

It all depends where you live. Out here in the desert they start hardening by the second month and will be completely stiff after three. That's without ever opening a case.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 09-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Good discussion and I appreciate the input. My house is generally 45-55% RH in the heat of summer with the house closed up and AC running. The basement does run a but higher (50-55%) As for my keeping the idled paks in my desk, that desk is a very old, all wooden desk and I kinda thought the paks would dry out in a valiant effort to humidify it

From now on I will use them year round and keep my guitars in their cases even in the more humid months.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:16 PM

i have a half dozen of these.
a few reside iwith my guitars, in cases.
once they dry up, i stick em into a big tupperware container which contains a bowl of distilled water. they quickly swell up and return to normal/ready to use again.
i've been doing this for ... 6-8 years now, and they still work.
no need to toss dried up humidipacks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion