The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-19-2020, 01:40 PM

Default Chord Generator Application?

Can anyone recommend an Android based Application that will allow me to create and string together a succession of chord tones that I can then play back and practice chord chasing / soloing to?
Old 09-19-2020, 03:03 PM

Why not use You Tube for backing tracks? They have been enormously helpful to me. All you need do is type in the search bar an explicit phrase like
“Slow backing track ballad in the key of “C”.
Several choices will pop up. They’re a lot more fun to play along with because they generally have other instruments involved.
Here are some examples:

https://youtu.be/jgmhVL9IIR0

https://youtu.be/LJeCVSiteNU

https://youtu.be/HKfEtmi2qBw

https://youtu.be/UeimvmRZ3jg

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 09-19-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:44 PM

Hey rokdog49!

I do use You Tube's backing tracks pretty much all the time. What I'd like to do is program a progression using known chords. If i know what the chords are, I can practice changing scales from chord to chord as the progression moves along.

I'm not yet good enough to identify the chords as they are being played........
Old 09-19-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I was about to suggest a program named ChordPulse, which I use, but it's only available for Windows.

I haven't tried anything like this for Android, so I am interested to see what others recommend.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre2020 View Post
Hey rokdog49!

I do use You Tube's backing tracks pretty much all the time. What I'd like to do is program a progression using known chords. If i know what the chords are, I can practice changing scales from chord to chord as the progression moves along.

I'm not yet good enough to identify the chords as they are being played........
I understand, but if the four chords are C-Am-F-G in a repetitive sequence, there isn’t much to know, it’s all right there.
The links I sent you clearly stated those chords at the beginning of each video.
You really will need to be able to “hear” those changes as part of your development as a guitar player. If you can’t hear when the chord changes from say C to Am, that’s a pretty big hurdle and it could mean a more difficult path for you from a musical standpoint.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-19-2020, 06:15 PM

Sorry. I glossed over the part where the O.P. wants a program to run on Android. I only know of PC/Mac programs. I use a free version of Riff Station which is no longer being made as I understand.

But ...

how about this. If you have an acoustic-electric or somewhere to play your guitar through an amp or computer or phone or whatever, just get a cheap looper pedal and make your own backing series. Or some amps have simple loopers built into them, such as my old Fender G-Dec 3 Thirty.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 09-19-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Can anyone recommend an Android based Application that will allow me to create and string together a succession of chord tones that I can then play back and practice chord chasing / soloing to?
I use IrealPro on apple. It is available for Android. It works somewhat like Band In a Box. You enter chords and a music style and it generates the music. Drums, Bass, Guitar, Piano, etc. I use it like you are describing, as well as learning songs. Once you enter the cords, it is easy to have it play in any key, at any tempo. Very flexible.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I use IrealPro on apple. It is available for Android. It works somewhat like Band In a Box. You enter chords and a music style and it generates the music. Drums, Bass, Guitar, Piano, etc. I use it like you are describing, as well as learning songs. Once you enter the cords, it is easy to have it play in any key, at any tempo. Very flexible.
Wow, iReal Pro looks really good. I used to have Band In A Box a few years ago, but it was just a bit too much. Instead of doing simple things easily, I ended up spending all my time trying and failing to become a BIAB expert.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
You really will need to be able to “hear” those changes as part of your development as a guitar player. If you can’t hear when the chord changes from say C to Am, that’s a pretty big hurdle and it could mean a more difficult path for you from a musical standpoint.
Agreed, and identifying chord changes isn't an issue for me. My interest is in the flexibility afforded by such a program.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
If you have an acoustic-electric or somewhere to play your guitar through an amp or computer or phone or whatever, just get a cheap looper pedal and make your own backing series. Or some amps have simple loopers built into them, such as my old Fender G-Dec 3 Thirty.
Hadn't thought of that. And a pretty simple solution. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Agreed, and identifying chord changes isn't an issue for me. My interest is in the flexibility afforded by such a program.
I understand.
If you have an iPad, there’s a free program called “Voice Record Pro” I have used for that and recording songs I write.
It’s also available for the Android Op system.
You do have to record your own chords, you can’t just select a chord. I am not aware of any ap that will let you do that, but I’m sure they are out there.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 09-20-2020 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I checked a couple of the YouTube videos for this program and it's spot on what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion!

Question though..... I'm assuming that the functionality for the program resides somewhere on the net, not on your device per se. So I would need to log on each time that I use the program (which would allow me to gain access to it from any device) but I would need internet access to use it?
Old 09-20-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I checked a couple of the YouTube videos for this program and it's spot on what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion!

Question though..... I'm assuming that the functionality for the program resides somewhere on the net, not on your device per se. So I would need to log on each time that I use the program (which would allow me to gain access to it from any device) but I would need internet access to use it?
I would suspect so.
In addition to this app you still might want to subscribe to this guy’s You Tube Channel.
Sebastien Zunino.
He’s creates more backing tracks of various genres than you’ll ever be able to create in your head and he displays the applicable scales on the fretboard to use as a roadmap for soloing.
Maybe after you use your app you will find what he does useful for moving forward into more variety.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-20-2020, 06:42 AM

Ive just looked at iReal pro too, looks really good.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:

The program and its' functions reside entirely on the device, so no Internet connection is required to use it. (no login is required either).

There is a way to upload and download songs to/from their website. The user community has created thousands of songs, and shared them there. Connectivity is required only for that process. Then the songs are stored on your device, and no Internet is required.

I should also mention that there is no subscription either. I never use any "rental" software.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write