The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I bought the guitar today, and had them install the Tone Bass by DeArmond.

It BARELY fit in there. Had to remove one of the side pieces that clamps from below during the install. Not sure how the tech made it work (must've used some bent needle-nose pliers or something to hold it.

It sounds amazingly good. They had a used BodyRez pedal which made it sound even better, so I bought that to try out.

I took it home, and my Baggs Session pedal sounded as good (probably better), and it also can add a lot of GAIN, so I think I'm gonna prefer that. I might even get a Session DI to use.
This sounds like an interesting concept Songwriter. I also was looking at the NC- Passive because I prefer passive pickups and because it sounds great in the demos.

What holds me back is that it isn’t offered as a permanent install. I know myself and, even though it’s easy, I probably wouldn’t use it for my primary purpose which is amplifying for home practice. The Dearmond is also passive but conducive for permanent install which is more attractive to me. I also already have a Session DI (which is my all-time personal favorite). I may need to try this out myself! Your video with the Terz sounds wonderful!
Old 02-03-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I also already have a Session DI (which is my all-time personal favorite). I may need to try this out myself! Your video with the Terz sounds wonderful!
Thanks! I've got the Session Align pedal, but not the DI . . but I can tell that this pickup will need a preamp. So I will probably get the Session DI.

I received the MojoTone today. I think it *might* fit, but I'm not gonna bother to take out the other one (it was too much of a hassle to get it in there). I will probably end up installing it on one of my OMs . . . I noticed that it's NOT a humbucker . . . just a single coil . . . have you ever had issues with NOISE using it? Also, I haven't figured out the trick to open the battery compartment on it yet.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I received the MojoTone today. I think it *might* fit, but I'm not gonna bother to take out the other one (it was too much of a hassle to get it in there). I will probably end up installing it on one of my OMs . . . I noticed that it's NOT a humbucker . . . just a single coil . . . have you ever had issues with NOISE using it? Also, I haven't figured out the trick to open the battery compartment on it yet.
Don't know about Mojotone first hand as I've never bought one. I was tempted but their passive version isn't permanent install. I'm not as interested in the NC-1 or NC-2 even though they do sound amazing. I just really prefer passive pickups is all.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
The DeArmond Tone Boss will fit in a small sound hole. I bought it to carry as a backup pickup for a Maton 808 which has a smaller than average sound hole and it fit in there easily without any modification or having to remove strings.

I only briefly tried it out and I thought it sounded decent, especially for the price. I'm not giving up my Sunrise or Blackstack for it but if you need a smaller pickup, this could be an option.

https://dearmondpickups.com/toneboss/

Do you know if The DeArmond Tone Boss would fit in a 8cm diameter sound hole?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification