The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-10-2019, 12:49 AM

Default Lr Baggs session with a magnetic pickup

Hi, am thinking about adding a lr Baggs session (DI or align haven't decided yet) to my signal chain. Currently using a Zoom A3 with a Seymour Duncan mag mic for my main guitar.

Was wondering if anyone has used the session with a magnetic pickup? I understand the multiband compression is on certain common 'problem' frequencies. I assume those frequencies are for a UST pickup so was wondering whether it is suitable for magnetic style pickups.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoryn View Post
Hi, am thinking about adding a lr Baggs session (DI or align haven't decided yet) to my signal chain. Currently using a Zoom A3 with a Seymour Duncan mag mic for my main guitar.

Was wondering if anyone has used the session with a magnetic pickup? I understand the multiband compression is on certain common 'problem' frequencies. I assume those frequencies are for a UST pickup so was wondering whether it is suitable for magnetic style pickups.
I use a session with my rare earth and I’ve previously used it with a Baggs M1A soundhole. A little compression tames the high end frequencies and the saturate is good for filling out the sound.

Use both in moderation and whilst subtle it’s very effective even with soundhole pickups.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-30-2023, 02:42 AM

This thread is almost four years old, so I suspect there are now many more forum members who’ve used, or at least tried, a Session DI/mag pickup combo.

I currently have a Mi-Si Magpie Air soundhole pickup and just ordered a Mojotone NC-Passive. I’ll be experimenting with blending them with other pickups (iBeam and Lyric Tru Mic, respectively), but am also considering other methods of enhancing their tone.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:58 AM

I still have my Session DI and it gets used at every gig. It works well with mag pickups. As I posted before about the REB.

I’ve had great results with a Baggs M80, session then EQ.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 02-05-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I still have my Session DI and it gets used at every gig. It works well with mag pickups. As I posted before about the REB.

I’ve had great results with a Baggs M80, session then EQ.
Good to know. Thanks for the observations! Looks like the Session DI will be my next gear acquisition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification