The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2023, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I could be wrong but I think the imix might have been discontinued. I can't seem to find it on the Lr Baggs website. I remember looking a few months ago and struggling to find it as well.
Sadly, you are correct. The iMix is listed on their “Legacy Products” page now. Thankfully, the iBeam is still available. Lately, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well I’ve been able to dial in the iBeam in my D28, using the virtual EQ devices in a Zoom A1-Four. Up until this point, I’ve had more success with dialing in the iBeam than I’ve had with dialing in the Lyric in another guitar.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
^^^^
I've found that there's plenty of adjustability with the onboard iMix preamp on the initial installation. Over the years when I've installed the system in a guitar, I spend a lot of time at home getting the pickup balance,eq/etc dialed in so it is just plug and play on a gig.
I have experimented running it stereo and, for me, it was a lot of messing around for no discernable advantage in tone.
When I'm playing a gig, I need to be focused on my playing, not adjusting my equipment. The easier the better for me.
I can’t fault your reasoning, Jimmy. I gigged for years with an iMix equipped Taylor 314c. I used it the same way that you are using it - just blend the pickups onboard and EQ the resulting mono signal for a result that sounded pleasing and didn’t feedback easily. At the time, I was using a Baggs PADI and using the PADI’s notch to eliminate boominess.

I experimented briefly with blending the iMix with a Baggs M1. While I liked the resulting tone, the extra setup was a hassle and I never liked the way the M1 clicks when I strike it with a pic or fingernail.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I could be wrong but I think the imix might have been discontinued. I can't seem to find it on the Lr Baggs website. I remember looking a few months ago and struggling to find it as well.
I'm afraid you're right. I looked on Sweetwater and Blue Star Music, Sweetwater didn't have it listed. Blue Star shows 1Mix (Ibeam and M1) in stock, the iMix with iBeam and Element showing out of stock.
There are a few on eBay, FWIW.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-05-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
I'm afraid you're right. I looked on Sweetwater and Blue Star Music, Sweetwater didn't have it listed. Blue Star shows 1Mix (Ibeam and M1) in stock, the iMix with iBeam and Element showing out of stock.
There are a few on eBay, FWIW.
I am assuming that the popularity of the Anthem has basically driven iMix sales down. Still a shame to not have it as an option though.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:06 PM

^^^
You are no doubt correct in that assessment.
That said, some time ago I tried the Anthem and did not like it...so last night I grabbed an iMix on ebay (Element/iBeam) for $99, new.
I figured if one of mine ever craps out...
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-08-2023, 04:48 AM

One thing I can’t understand is why they only have a two band EQ with this ES-2. It really could use a mid sweep.

Also, does anyone know if there is a proper impedance with the ES-2? Similar to the requirement for a K & K . I can’t remember what it is but it needs it. I have tried many various preamps, but my 814ce with ES-2 sounds best plugged straight in to a mixer. It’s either the impedance or the 2500 mid frequency on most mixers I use to remove some of that harshness.

Acoustic guitars are such beautiful sounding instruments. It’s a shame the pickup systems available aren’t able to transmit that tone accurately. A microphone IN the guitar doesn’t seem to be the answer either.

In addition to the 814, I have a D-28, 000-15, 000-18 and a few older Epiphone Masterbuilts. All great sounding guitars. As much as I have spent on guitars, I would say I have spent 3 times that on pickups and preamps. Once I plug in, I can get a $500 Epiphone to sound as good as my most expensive guitar.

I am certain, at some point, someone will figure this out. The IR ideas are getting closer. I just think the input for them still needs improvement for the IR to reach its potential.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:42 AM

https://youtu.be/n5yiQ0jbH_g

This guy has an interesting approach to fine-tuning his ES2 system which may be helpful to some.

Just listening on my iPhone, I can easily tell which sound sample is the mic for his ES2 vs mic test. Nevertheless, he does seem to have a pretty nice tone dialed in, judging from the vid.

I was expecting the Alamo Music ES2 vid to touch on the subject of adjusting the piezo elements, but they skipped the subject entirely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification