The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Qui Plantavit Curabit

Very nice, Bernie. Nice touch.

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
--Samuel Adams
Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi folks...
Bernie brings out an important detail here. I have my Zoom H4 mounted on a small tripod I bought for $20 just to keep in my teaching area.

When I'm sitting down noodling and have some ideas which need to be captured, I'm less than 15 seconds from recording them with the H4, and that includes grabbing the unit and setting it in front of me, powering it on and punching the record button twice. In the studio, I'm at least 5 minutes away with booting, firing preamps, setting mics, launching software, and setting up the tracks on the software.

That's the attractiveness of this device. I can forget alot in 5 minutes.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That's the attractiveness of this device. I can forget alot in 5 minutes.
Hi Barry...
Speedy recording is one of the attractive features to me.

Others are:
- Simple processes. Two buttons, and menus layed out well internally
- The quality of the internal mics and preamps
- Direct to CD quality .wav file recording
- Direct to mp3 recording
- Phantom power
- Computer interconnectability
- Non-invasive
- People just aren't as intimidated with this cute little thing in front of them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-30-2006, 02:36 PM

Nice work Bernie :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

I noticed Bern recorded with a different level setting. I tend to record with the highest (loudest) input setting from about 10'' -12'' away and not put my songs through any processing to pump the volume up.
Bernie and Larry how do you ensure that you are not going into the red with this unit? Does this unit provide a limiter? Can you adjust the gain other than by presets?

Aaron
Old 10-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trion12 View Post
...Bernie and Larry how do you ensure that you are not going into the red with this unit? Does this unit provide a limiter? Can you adjust the gain other than by presets?
Hi Aaron...
It has meters. I tried it out and found the distance & placement that works for me without overdriving it. I just set it there. If I were recording someone else, I'd just have em play the most aggressive part of the song and watch the LCD and set it accordingly.

I think there is some sort of auto-adjust & I'd never use it...don't like self limiters and built in compressors.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-30-2006, 05:57 PM

Aaron, I've just bought the H4 Saturday and now I have to really learn of what it actually can and can't do for me. The purpose for this thread was to show of what this unit can provide 'out of the box' for a novice like myself. Best I can say for now is, stay tuned.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM

Thanks Larry and Bernie!
These will be arriving in New Zealand next month so I think I may pick one up.
Larry have you had a chance to assess it as an audio interface to replace your Mbox? Also what do you think of Cubase LE compared to protools LE?
Aaron
Old 10-30-2006, 08:34 PM

Nice job, Bern!! I liked the playing. You and LJ are doing a good job promoting this. I don't need it and I already want one!

For all those who just want to get their recordings out for people to hear, this sounds like a great little device.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
Nice job, Bern!! I liked the playing. You and LJ are doing a good job promoting this. I don't need it and I already want one!

For all those who just want to get their recordings out for people to hear, this sounds like a great little device.
From what Larry and Bern tell us, it's a must have for us home recording guys. I get alot of ideas when I'm out back on the deck, puffing a cigar and doodling. It may not replace my Tascam US-122 for my main recording device (but hey it might), but I'm campaigning heavily to get this under my tree for the holidays (or at worse my birthday or fathers day). All those 2 or 3 measure ideas I get and forget by the time I can get my mics set up will be captured. These things should be packaged with a decent guitar and sold as a promo.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
From what Larry and Bern tell us, it's a must have for us home recording guys. I get alot of ideas when I'm out back on the deck, puffing a cigar and doodling. It may not replace my Tascam US-122 for my main recording device (but hey it might), but I'm campaigning heavily to get this under my tree for the holidays (or at worse my birthday or fathers day). All those 2 or 3 measure ideas I get and forget by the time I can get my mics set up will be captured. These things should be packaged with a decent guitar and sold as a promo.
Hi Barry...
I suspect that the unit alone might not replace your Tascam US-122 if you have it's system down, and your recording software up and running, and mics designated etc.

The CubaseLE software is not as ''thorough'' or slick as ProToolsLE, but it is very good for remote and everyday recording (up to 48 tracks). All the parts and pieces are there except for purchasing the mp3 conversion plug-in (which is the same in ProTools). I don't need that.

I'm not using mine for an interface, and I am using it to replace the computer and interface to record remote and living room recordings. The quality is exceptional, and the features make it quick and easy to use.

Had a student in today and we were working through some things what I just periodically hit ''record''. In 2 hours we had 20 files, and a total of 57 minutes of lesson exercises and explanations. Three minutes later it was on a CDr and went out the door with the student.

Idea Capture...
This is probably the strongest use for me...

It would make a great way for somebody to start with digital recording since it can be a computer interface as well.

I have not taken the time to even experiment with this use, since I have the studio, and I don't really want to drag out the mics, and stands, and computer, and launch the software, and setup a file, and.............................it's just easier to hit power and 10 seocnds later hit Record-Record.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 10-30-2006, 09:57 PM

My computer is always on so it's pretty easy for me to capture ideas with my current setup since I'm always playing in the computer room.

The idea of being able to easily record away from the computer is a tempting one and for all the people who just want to record and share, this is a Godsend.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Now I've gone and done it!

Well, you guys were too convincing. Seem I couldn't resist getting something that a lazy man like me could use that only cost about as much as one day at Disneyland. I especially like the ease of use. Larry is not exaggerating when he says 15 seconds. I have no idea what settings I used (my mp3's seem to play a little soft, so probably the wrong one), but here goes: (Please don't expect the quality of either Larry's or Bern's stuff, and excuse the compositions, I was making them up as I went) Here's some blues noodling and some more fiddling around--
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=619671
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vac4873 View Post
...I have no idea what settings I used (my mp3's seem to play a little soft, so probably the wrong one),
Hi Vac...
On the right side of the unit, on the ''MIC'' switch, set it to H. Set the unit about a foot in front of the neck/body joint and play away! If it comes out too loud, back the unit up about another 6''.

I like the blues stuff.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 10-30-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the samples, Vac.

I think I might have to get one of these.

I assume the recordings were using the x/y mic, and not by hooking up the pickup system to the H4, right?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:53 AM

The H4 is getting some nice reviews over at the Martin Forum as well....

http://p082.ezboard.com/ftheunoffici...cID=1891.topic

Any thoughts on using this as a regular microphone into a PA? Would the stereo effect enhance the sound?

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell