The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-14-2018, 06:19 AM

Default How I Record Acoustic Guitars

Hello everyone,

this is a question I get asked regularly and I've put together this video to show my set-up which uses two "rules" of quality at source and simplicity. Good rules to live by in any context really!

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.

Last edited by Michael Watts; 09-15-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:47 AM

Wonderful clip, Michael! Looks like a very comfy room in your home......love the windows........
Don't think I'd call you "the weakest link"..........

I like your approach.....and of course the equipment is top shelf along with the sound you produce!

Thanks again,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-14-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Good video.

I'm a Gefell fan having the M300s and also the M295s. Been using the M295s mainly these days (not quite as warm
as the M300s with their greater proximity effect, but more detailed).

Slower fingerstyle music with lowered tunings and droning strings, usually records well. I find faster music with quick
changes of more complex chords more challenging to get a clean recording of.

No post recording processing used - reverb, equalization, etc.? If so, what?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 09-14-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-14-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
... I've put together this video to show my set-up which uses two rules of quality at source and simplicity. Good rules to live by in any context really!
You have a lovely speaking voice. And if this method of guitar recording works for you, awesome. You lost me, though, at "rules."

If I were to offer a "suggestion," it would be to not spend all that money on nice microphones and then expect to get a high-quality recording in a noisy living room.

Couch Standards
Old 09-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Ha! Yeah, in this case the “rules” are entirely self imposed.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 09-14-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Really nice video Michael, I always love your presentation. I use a pair of Gefell M300's myself, great mics. I was partly persuaded to get a pair from your many fine youtube videos. I agree on the simplicity part, I use an RME Babyface Pro. Two inputs, a few knobs, and not much to worry about.

Last edited by anton; 09-14-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Ha! Yeah, in this case the “rules” are entirely self imposed.
Many people don't consider the idea that if they record in a noisy or odd-sounding space and then listen to the recording in the same space, they can't hear the noise and the oddness because they're still within it.

I have two friends who recorded and edited an audiobook in a bedroom. It took them four months. They were so proud of it. Then they heard it in my control room and threw it all out.

Couch Standards
Old 09-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Many people don't consider the idea that if they record in a noisy or odd-sounding space and then listen to the recording in the same space, they can't hear the noise and the oddness because they're still within it.

I have two friends who recorded and edited an audiobook in a bedroom. It took them four months. They were so proud of it. Then they heard it in my control room and threw it all out.
Not sure why such comments are coming up in this thread, especially concerning noise. Michael's recordings are clean and not plagued with background noise. For example:

Old 09-14-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Not sure why such comments are coming up in this thread, especially concerning noise. Michael's recordings are clean and not plagued with background noise.
I don't know where he recorded that, and his living room may be dead quiet. Impossible to tell from the video because he's got guitar-playing running through it. If the room is dead quiet, though, it's very much the exception. Most people's aren't. He addresses the mics, and the placement, but not that.

Couch Standards
Old 09-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know where he recorded that, and his living room may be dead quiet. Impossible to tell from the video because he's got guitar-playing running through it. If the room is dead quiet, though, it's very much the exception. Most people's aren't. He addresses the mics, and the placement, but not that.
A zillion threads on recording environment on the forum.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
A zillion threads on recording environment on the forum.
Not arguing that.

Couch Standards
Old 09-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Nice video, well done!

Quote:
You can actually hear not noise, but the room reflections, on Michael's voice pretty clearly. So this is not a acoustically treated space - obvious visually as well :-). But based on what I hear on his voice, I'd expect the guitar to record just fine in this room, as least good enough for casual recording, you tube etc. You just get a bit of room imprint, and early reflections added. Michael mentions he has a studio space that is undoubtedly better acoustically, but this is likely more than good enough for close-mic'd guitar.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Nice video, well done!

You can actually hear not noise, but the room reflections, on Michael's voice pretty clearly. So this is not a acoustically treated space - obvious visually as well :-). But based on what I hear on his voice, I'd expect the guitar to record just fine in this room, as least good enough for casual recording, you tube etc. You just get a bit of room imprint, and early reflections added. Michael mentions he has a studio space that is undoubtedly better acoustically, but this is likely more than good enough for close-mic'd guitar.

Hi Doug, yes, that’s it exactly. It’s not a noisy room per se and the noise floor on the mics is low due to careful gain staging. There is more perceptible room on the Voice than on the guitar as you might expect.

I’m glad you liked it and it’s good to hear from you. It’s been a while!

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 09-15-2018, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting and enjoyable video, Michael! I always enjoy your videos, so it's very interesting for me to see and learn about the details of how you get your great sound.

Like Fred notes, I don't think you are anything like the weakest link in the sound chain. You seem to bring magic out of the guitars you play from my point of view!

I very much like the sound of your Gefell M300 microphones. I may have to splurge one of these days and buy a pair.

I also agree with Doug Young about the room effects. Yes, you can hear slight effects of early reflections in Michael's speaking voice. Yet for the close mic'd guitar recordings, I hear no room effects whatsoever.

I know that small, rectangular shaped rooms, like bedrooms, can be problematic for good quality recordings, and for this kind of problem it's fairly easy and cost effective to put up sound treatment. But in Michael's living room? Yuck!

- Glenn
Old 09-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

It's interesting to see by the Gefell M300 frequency response curve that while the microphone is a cardioid type, it does not exhibit the typical proximity effect bass boost. Rather, the mic actually shows a very gradual bass roll-off below 100 Hz. See below link for some review comments and the frequency response curve.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphone...ch-Gefell/M300

Like just about all condenser mics, the mic shows a slight treble rise, but in the case of the Gefell M300 design, the rise is very gradual above about 2 KHz and not peaky at all.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD