The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Default An Exploration of Rights Management Technologies Used in the Music Industry

Interesting history of the evolution of recording

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery...065004&EXT=pdf

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 09-14-2018, 06:13 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Interesting. A couple of notes from an industry perspective:
1. The paper is from 2006. Since then, every format that I know of that has existed or been put forward has been hacked and software to rip the source code has been made available. The average person can go right out and hunt for it on the web. However, downloading of that software becomes a data point in the memory of those who are watching out moves on the web. It has said that due to the piling up Federal and State codes, the average American commits three felonies per day. Some of these are now registered, or the evidence for them is registered, in UTAH at the "capture it all" facility. Besides that, many states, mine included, have codes that make it a felony to disassemble the contents of encoded materials such as DVDs and such.

2. As a result, it make absolute sense why the record companies were rushing to obsolete the CD. There were no protection capabilities possible, legally or physically, within it. The pivot point was RIAA vs. Diamond Media. Perhaps that was the big turn for the industry. However, while they were rushing to create the obsolescence, they hadn't been able to settle on a replacement strategy.

3. In fact, with the deciding of RIAA vs. Diamond Media, it appears that successive attempts to control rights have turned into the ultimate doomsday or MADD scenario for the music industry, as at this point, no-one is really making any significant money on recorded music. Period.

4. My concept for the preservation of the industry was value-added product and packaging. The best example I can offer is what David Gilmour has been doing with his solo projects and the final Pink Floyd projects: package involving formats from CD to SACD and DVD-A plus pictures, program booklets, and additional materials added to the physical package to make ownership desirable enough to encourage it. His projects have sold like hotcakes.

5. Two things stand out to me:
A.) Produce disposable music and people won't give a hoot about it enough to want to buy a perpetual transmission media. Surprise!
B.) The biggest failure in the whole model was the failure of morality within the consumer base as regards illegal and immoral copying. It was a case of trading short-term gratification for long term pain, and we are reaping the pain. The industry has crashed and burnt.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD