The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2020, 02:09 PM

Take a look at the Yamaha FS series. They are on par with 000s in size. These are good guitars and play many times better than the prices suggests.

If you can, try the FS820 and FS830. While they are very similar, they do sound different. The FS820 w/mahogany back and sides is boomy and louder than one would think. With the FS830 (rosewood b/s) you get you get a little more articulate sparkly sound.

While I have not played the LS6 model i hear it’s a good sounding guitar as well. That would be right at your $500 threshold. Though it does come with zero impact pickup installed under the bridge, no preamp.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronnelson View Post
...I want to keep this around $500 if possible because I know I am going to have to put more money into setup and possibly pickup...The problem is that in Honolulu, we don't have many places to check out acoustic guitars.
A former bandbud mail-ordered one of these a couple years ago:

https://kalabrand.com/collections/gu.../parlor-guitar

Punches way above its weight both acoustically and plugged in (he installed a K&K pickup), under $250 with a factory gig bag, and since you probably have more uke dealers than you know what to do with in Honolulu (I'm sure you're familiar with the brand) it shouldn't be hard for them to order one for you to try...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 02-09-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Look for an X series Martin, bigger than the one you have. Like a GPC size. They come with electronics if you can use the one they come with. Sonotone I think. Or even a 000 size X series. The best value for what you are looking for.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:15 AM

Maybe an FS830 then get a setup and LR baggs installed. That might be good. I have to try them out. I'm tired of a really thick neck too. I want something easier to play.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2020, 02:22 AM

Wow I really like the sound of the FS series, but man, the FG830 sounds great! But I'm sure it's too big for me! But the sound is great!
Old 02-10-2020, 10:45 AM

Try the Yamaha CSF parlor guitars. I have become a huge small guitar fan who happens to live in a major metro area (4GCs, a Sam Ash, tons of independent shops) and I check out everything that's available. In my opinion they are only reasonably priced small guitars on par with the GS mini.

Besides a GS mini, I also have FS and FG 800s, and I recently sold my LS6. The mini has a really small neck that you may or may not like. If you play a lot of electric you will probably like it just fine. You can't go wrong with the FS or FG guitars, which have "normal" necks. My FS is the "office guitar". The FG800 stays at home, and whenever I play it, I am amazed at the sound you can get these days for $200. The LS was also really nice, but in terms of bang for your buck, the FS or FG is the way to go.

Last edited by Rpt50; 02-10-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:10 PM

Thank you for a great post! Does the CSF have a “normal” neck? I’m kind of wanting to play a normal scale with smaller body so if I play with someone else’s guitar at least I can play it.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronnelson View Post
Thank you for a great post! Does the CSF have a “normal” neck? I’m kind of wanting to play a normal scale with smaller body so if I play with someone else’s guitar at least I can play it.

Thanks
I don't know what the scale is on the CSF, but I'm sure you could find it on the Yamaha webpage. It's short, but I don't know if it is as short as a GS mini. It definitely has a thicker neck than a mini.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:59 PM

So I finally found time to check out some guitars. I went to Good guys and saw 3 guitars. One was a Takamine - but the nut width was just like playing my small LXME - it felt like it was. Then I played a weird Fender guitar - I guess it's the Malibu Player and man it was easy to play but the tone was so midgrangey with no depth or sparkle - but it was easy to play. I did play a $900 Fender and it was awesome - but really out of price range.

Dan's guitars had some Blueridge that I like but that chunky neck and the lack of pickup made me think twice. They had some used stuff that needed work.... might consider one of those.

Easy music had incredibly great prices. I kind of liked the Martin Dreadnaught Jr. Even the GS Mini was nice and bright. The bummer of the day was the Yamaha Transacoustic. This is the one I wanted and it sounded great but the neck is so hard to play - like the Yamaha I have now.

At this point, I am still not sure....
Old 02-18-2020, 05:35 AM

Interesting that you are having issues with a Yamaha neck. Are you sure it's just not the action (height of the strings off the neck)?. That can be fixed by sanding the saddle and (if needed) tweaking the truss rod in less than 10 minutes and $0 cost. I have had a boatload of Yamaha guitars over the years and never noticed anything unusual about the necks--they are about as "universal guitar" as anything out there. BUT, they do often come with kind of a high action (string height) set-up from the factory. Is that the problem you are having? Yamaha action can be made as low as you like, just like any other decent guitar.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

If you're still looking, the Martin 000-X1AE is on the SDOTD at Musician's Friend today for $359, which is a great deal:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid
Old 02-18-2020, 10:43 AM

I have had problems with full size necks for a while. In an effort to make this better I have taken my Yamaha to one of the top luthiers here and had it setup and worked on. It plays way better but not easily to me. My friend said it may be the radius and the fret size. I am not sure but I really felt it on the FSTA.

At this point I am leaning towards the Martin Dreadnaught Jr. But I will have to plug it in. Second choice is a used Taylor 110 or GS mini.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:36 PM

Thanks guys! After hitting every shop in Honolulu, I got the guitar. I wanted the dreadnought jr but the one I got was the 000 jr. the Martin 000CJr-10E.
This particular one played great right from the start and it was so good I forgot about the model and was surprised that I chose this one. I really wanted a non cutaway but this one sounds great! The quest has ended! Can’t wait to take it out on a gig!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion