The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-13-2020, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I've read that three times, and have no idea what you're trying to say.

My point was that, as tax revenue from petroleum-based products falls, then government will shift that burden to what *is* being consumed instead, i.e. electricity - so the fact that it's 'cheap' now will not last.
Possible. Can’t imagine the scenario where the costs become comparable, so not sure how much it matters.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Possible. Can’t imagine the scenario where the costs become comparable, so not sure how much it matters.
I see how the future might be via my split of using car and bicycle for utility purposes. You need a state trail pass and county trail pass for some of the very good bike routes. The state fee is $25, county is $16, and my car is $75 a year. That seems steep by comparison but the current model has me paying gasoline tax. I don't know how that compares to UK but I'm certain all the US states have that tax at the pump.

The paying for it in our electric bills seems difficult and inappropriate relative to the just pay to use or have it.

People like to complain but it all needs to be paid for. Ironically many around here think we have our free bike freeways but that's not true.

It is important to have people thinking about new and better mousetraps. Think about the benefits to rural residents too. So much commuting and travel goes on that better urban planning benefits the commuters, visitors and residents.

I'm only starting to get old so it will be exciting to watch how we might solve transportation problems!
Old 02-14-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
...I don't know how that compares to UK but I'm certain all the US states have that tax at the pump.

The paying for it in our electric bills seems difficult and inappropriate relative to the just pay to use or have it.

People like to complain but it all needs to be paid for.
As MPG goes up, collected tax per mile goes down. Simultaneously, cars have gotten a lot heavier - which means they damage the road more whilst motorists pay less tax.

For the state to deal with this, they have to pass tax increases - which is often unpopular.

More logical, but perhaps equally unpopular, would be to calculate a road-damage factor based on vehicle weight, wheel size, and number of wheels. Then multiply miles driven by the RDF to compute the fee each vehicle owes.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
For the state to deal with this, they have to pass tax increases - which is often unpopular.
Well, there is an alternative, but forum rules prevent that discussion.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-14-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
As MPG goes up, collected tax per mile goes down. Simultaneously, cars have gotten a lot heavier - which means they damage the road more whilst motorists pay less tax.

More logical, but perhaps equally unpopular, would be to calculate a road-damage factor based on vehicle weight, wheel size, and number of wheels. Then multiply miles driven by the RDF to compute the fee each vehicle owes.
Yes. I know how unpopular logical would be. Transportation was my area in an economics degree LONG ago. Then and now users already creating more wear did and do not want to pay for it.

I can also guess how unpopular it would be based on my own city's and others' solutions to problems coming from state statutes. My city did one time assessments. In reality it was fair. IIRC, we got a $915 bill in June. We got a wonderfully redone street and curb repairs a few months later. Some of the people who asked for that fairness screamed the most. The city actually got a good deal for the amount of work done.

You nailed it on the unpopularity. What happened is my state limited the municipalities' ability to tax. It started as very popular and turned our once great roads to among the nation's worst. My better off city just sent us the bill. Other places struggle with that. No one want tolls or increased license plate fees. Aren't homo sapiens a funny bunch?

Good luck to both sides of the Atlantic and other oceans on this stuff. Transportation is so important and so much of GDP that we should embrace improvements and work stuff out. We should not be like sewers and dental work - easy to ignore and then have problems rule us.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic