The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
You're not the first person to experience buyer's remorse over a guitar purchase (been there, done that).

My advice is to sell this guitar and get something that agrees with you more.

However... I bought my first guitar in 1964 and I've owned 116 since then. In short, I'm always buying/selling guitars in a search for new tones I like better.

One thing for sure though, and that's the fact that a high quality guitar definitely inspires me to play more and practice harder. It will for you too.
I've been there with bass guitars, and I was really hoping this wouldn't happen again. I've owned so many over the last 20 years. I've settled on six and don't see that changing. But bass will always be my first instrument. The acoustic was just supposed to be a new challenge and hobby as I miss the old days of playing out. Man, I really don't want to take the hit trading this one in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Sell it, trade it, life’s too short to remain hung up on this. Take the hit and move on.

And that glue is strange, indeed. Especially on a Taylor. Their builds are normally perfect.

Rb
Yeah, I thought it was strange too. I had an academy 10e briefly and that had no glue or anything of the sort showing. It was pretty perfect build wise.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:19 AM

How long have you had it (more than 7 days clearly) but just curious? I feel like I need a couple of months with a guitar before the honeymoon, niggles, self-doubt etc wear off and I know what I really think.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
My buddy bass player wouldn't know the first thing in what to look for with an acoustic guitar... my advice is to keep playing it until you have enough experience to buy something that will satisfy you longterm.
Yeah, I definitely feel that way. Even reading here on this forum for hours on end, nothing replaces real world experience.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
How long have you had it (more than 7 days clearly) but just curious? I feel like I need a couple of months with a guitar before the honeymoon, niggles, self-doubt etc wear off and I know what I really think.
I bought it on Dec 20, 2019.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoga View Post
The acoustic was just supposed to be a new challenge and hobby as I miss the old days of playing out. Man, I really don't want to take the hit trading this one in...
My best advice: Suck it up and play it. It *might* just be that you're a lot worse at guitar than you are at bass and it's frustrating to be a beginner again. It is a more complicated instrument (sorry, couldn't resist).

But seriously; put in 200 hours playtime where you're concentrating on learning to play, not concentrating on what it is or isn't.

By the time you've done that

a) you'll be a lot better at playing it.
b) you'll probably know what you want by then
Old 01-24-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
My best advice: Suck it up and play it. It *might* just be that you're a lot worse at guitar than you are at bass and it's frustrating to be a beginner again. It is a more complicated instrument (sorry, couldn't resist).

But seriously; put in 200 hours playtime where you're concentrating on learning to play, not concentrating on what it is or isn't.

By the time you've done that

a) you'll be a lot better at playing it.
b) you'll probably know what you want by then
Oh yeah, I'm a lot worse at guitar than bass. Of course I am. I agree with you academically with everything you've said (with exception to the "more complicated instrument" part ).

But.....which pick should I use?

Old 01-24-2020, 10:28 AM

Given you cant return it and the loss isn't going to be any worse now or in 3 months, just put guitar-buying, pick choosing and all this other stuff out of your mind and start playing it.

There are plenty of kids out there with $99 guitars and no idea what they're doing, who are gonna pass you in the fast lane by this time next year if you sit and fret about whether this guitar is 'the one' while they just get on play.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Given you cant return it and the loss isn't going to be any worse now or in 3 months, just put guitar-buying, pick choosing and all this other stuff out of your mind and start playing it.

There are plenty of kids out there with $99 guitars and no idea what they're doing, who are gonna pass you in the fast lane by this time next year if you sit and fret about whether this guitar is 'the one' while they just get on play.
I can't argue with your logic. But we all know this hobby, passion, life, etc., isn't always logical.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I can't argue with your logic. But we all know this hobby, passion, life, etc., isn't always logical.
Oh I know, and don't think I'm accusing you of doing anything I haven't done 100 times.

But sometime we just need a slap round the face with a wet fish and it's up to our friends to do it
Old 01-24-2020, 10:32 AM

You say that it bores you, but do you know what it is that bores you in the sound? Answering that question might tell you a lot more about what you want in a guitar?

Is it too bass/treble heavy?
Are there not enough/too many overtones supporting the fundamental?
Does it ring too much/too little?
Is it thin sounding?
Too snappy?
A bit jangly?

I know that tone is all subjective, but when you say bored it's usually because something is missing for you.

You may not even know now, but look out for it while your playing.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Oh I know, and don't think I'm accusing you of doing anything I haven't done 100 times.

But sometime we just need a slap round the face with a wet fish and it's up to our friends to do it
Haha, so true! Thanks for your help today, Ralph.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you for commenting. Unfortunately I can't return as my local shop only has a 7 day return policy and I've had it for a month. Trading it in would likely be a 50% loss.
Don't trade it. Sell it on CL or FB Marketplace. Trading is a suckers game. My best friend does that a LOT. You will not get 50% even. Be prepared to be patient or lose big money.

Lucky for you, Martin and Taylors hold value better than anything else.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-24-2020, 10:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Here's my take on new guitars: At the beginning, all those chunks of wood are agnostic. They don't know they are on a team. It takes them at least a year to figure out that they are now a guitar. During the first year the guitar changes tone daily, as you mentioned, It is hyper-reactive to humidity. It doesn't know if it wants to be mellow or sharp. And then, about a year later, you all of a sudden realize that it sounds the same as it did yesterday. In fact, you haven't noticed a change in a while. And then it has figured out who it is.

If you jump ship and grab another new guitar you are just going to deal with it all over again. Sad but true. Patience pays off.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
You say that it bores you, but do you know what it is that bores you in the sound? Answering that question might tell you a lot more about what you want in a guitar?

Is it too bass/treble heavy?
Are there not enough/too many overtones supporting the fundamental?
Does it ring too much/too little?
Is it thin sounding?
Too snappy?
A bit jangly?

I know that tone is all subjective, but when you say bored it's usually because something is missing for you.

You may not even know now, but look out for it while your playing.
It is all the things sometimes, and it is none of these things the next day! I'm hopeless, I know. Or maybe I don't know....
Old 01-24-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Here's my take on new guitars: At the beginning, all those chunks of wood are agnostic. They don't know they are on a team. It takes them at least a year to figure out that they are now a guitar. During the first year the guitar changes tone daily, as you mentioned, It is hyper-reactive to humidity. It doesn't know if it wants to be mellow or sharp. And then, about a year later, you all of a sudden realize that it sounds the same as it did yesterday. In fact, you haven't noticed a change in a while. And then it has figured out who it is.

If you jump ship and grab another new guitar you are just going to deal with it all over again. Sad but true. Patience pays off.

Bob
Incredible advice. Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion