Top and Back Binding: EBONY
Top Purfling: Herringbone
Headstock: slotted
Nut and Saddle: Bone
Tuners: Grover H97 "Waverly" style open gear
Case: Hardshell
Retail: $2399
Direct Sale Price: $1199

Last edited by koolau; 04-20-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Pono OO

also in production, available May 2020
OO-20D
Back and sides: solid Mahogany
Top: Engelmann Spruce
Binding: Ebony
Fingerboard and Bridge: Ebony
Nut and Saddle: Bone
Headstock: Slotted
Lower Body Width: 14 3/8"
Nut Width: 1 13/16"
Neck to Body: 12th
Tuners: Grover H97 "Waverly" style open gear
Retail: $1999
Direct Price: $999

Last edited by koolau; 02-06-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:22 PM

Guess I better start saving for that OO-30D...
Old 02-01-2020, 08:13 PM

Oh dear. Just when I resolved “not another guitar (at least this year”....
Pics? Finish?
Old 02-05-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHintz View Post
Oh dear. Just when I resolved “not another guitar (at least this year”....
Pics? Finish?
No picture of the new Pono OO, yet (mine is the older generation with narrower waist),

but the "D" in the model designation usually refers to "deluxe" i.e. gloss poly finish.

Pp
Old 03-03-2020, 11:14 PM

Default Pono OO update!

Somehow got in touch with John about the OO coming in May He explained a little more about the design and specs of the instrument but actually most information are available in the first two posts of this thread. Worth highlighting would be the fact that John has reverted to some original designs of OO in this incarnation, with short scale (24 3/4"), 12-frets, slotted headstock, and 1 13/16" nut width.

I remember some of these features once appeared in one of John's previous "vintage" model OO40V, and an NGD thread could still be found in this Forum.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=440238

My Pono OO20 SB - spruce-mahogany sunburst, remains one of my favourite Pono guitars. Ergonomic and easy to hold, with a crisp and articulate, projectile sound.

Also great to see rosewood is again available. My first Pono guitar - a spruse-rosewood body/side instrument (GA30DC) - is, all things considered, my favourite guitar, ever!

Pp
Old 03-24-2020, 08:55 AM

would you do a 000 for $2000?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Pono OO

aloha everyone,
First of all, thanks for the many of you who stay faithful to Pono guitars. We try to make good guitars, but availability and production levels are probably frustrating to many of you. But we never promised mass production. Just great guitars, very high quality materials, and an affordable price.

We received many positive reviews from music stores, but they have a difficult situation. For them, it's not so much a passion, as selling quick and paying the bills.
There are many different "cheap" but ok guitars now days. And they can sell them easily. Most music stores also have the usual famous name brands, which sell due to the name ...... the same as with everything on the market.
So as much as they liked our guitars, Pono was somewhere in the middle. Two expensive to be cheap, and not a household brand name as a selling point.

But all of this ended up to be ok, we simply changed our plans. And now we just sell less, sell direct, and at a more affordable price. Except for not being able to physically go into a store and try one out, you receive personal customer service directly from us. And, you get a better deal. Some of you have several of our guitars, so we must be doing something right. And so, as this note began, we appreciate your support and understanding.

Another benefit to cutting back on a hugh catalog of models is that now our efforts can be directed back to making what we like. This is not the best marketing model if you want to make a lot of money. So we are obviously not getting rich.
But that's ok too. We're not stupid and naive ..... we still want to make money, but not at the risk of health and family. And especially with the whole world going crazy, we want to stay focused. Many years ago we switched gears to adding ukuleles to our lineup, so that's still our "bread and butter"

As for guitars, in addition to making what we like, our plan now is to stick with our "parlor" size guitars. All manufacturers make them, but only a few people buy them. The OM's and Dread's are still king. But the little parlor's were the original's, they were fun, and if made right, still have plenty of tone and volume.

Our latest adventure is going back to our original OO design. A few customers wanted the OO with a long scale and 14 fret neck. Which sounds and projects good. But since we still have our OM model, with a long scale and 14 fret neck, it became unnecessary (we believed) to do the same with an OO. The OO is 14 3/8" wide, and the OM is 15" wide.

Our OO just barely fits the "parlor" category, but that's ok. In the past some of the greatest blues and folk players had O's and OO's. With a short scale, and a 12 fret neck (which, as most of you know, changes the top tone).

Actually we only have a few of our new OO models currently in production, expected to be available in about a month or so. And apparently our new design was a good idea because several are either sold or on hold.

Specs of the new OO models: 14 3/8" wide, slotted headstock, 1 13/16" nut spacing, 24.75" scale length, and 12 frets to the body. As with all Pono guitars, ebony fingerboard, bridge, and pins. Our current batch all have cedar tops, but probably some with spruce again. Mahogany models have ebony binding, and Rosewood models have maple binding (hard to find guitars with wood binding anymore)

The two new models are:
OO-20 Mahogany with Cedar $999
OO-30 Rosewood with Cedar $1199

If you have any question, let me know, John Kitakis

Last edited by koolau; 04-09-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Sent you a PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:35 AM

Decided to give my almost-5-year-old Pono OO20SB (Engelmann-Mahogany, 2015) a spin. Hope it gives a rough idea despite the mediocre at best playing and the very basic recording gears

Strung with John Pearse Pure Nickel Wound light gauge.

Pp

PS Same clip double posted on this 'show and tell' thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=579260
Old 05-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Pippin, that playing was very impressive! The Pono sounds great as well.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:47 AM

The Pono's Ive heard were brighter than that. Im thinking the engleman/hog and the nickel strings have softened up the sound some. And I liked the playing.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
The Pono's Ive heard were brighter than that. Im thinking the engleman/hog and the nickel strings have softened up the sound some. And I liked the playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejko View Post
Pippin, that playing was very impressive! The Pono sounds great as well.
Thanks to you both! You are so kind!

Mercy you are spot on re: the brighter Pono tone, and nickel strings softening / warming it up. In general I prefer a brighter tone. However, nickel strings work really well with Pono mahogany body guitars - in addition to the OO you heard in the clip, I also put John Pearse nickel wound in a Pono Sitka dreadnaught and an Engelmann GA. The nickel strings seems to bring out that clean and woody mahogany tone, with just the right balance of treble shimmer and warmth in mid-bass.

I remember a maker once mentioned he preferred his instruments a tad brighter sounding, and then leave it to the players to put in the shades and warmth when necessary. However, he said, it would be more difficult for the player to go in the opposite direction and brighten up a dark-sounding instrument...

Pp
Old 05-05-2020, 05:22 PM

I've owned 6 or 7 Pono instruments....top tier all around, from the electric uke to the crossover classical to the wonderful all koa parlor. John K and his team are wonderful to work with and the price-to-value ratio here is off the charts. Great guitars from a great building family. Here is a recording on my little parlor:

The guitars listed are beauties!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 05-06-2020, 01:01 AM

WOW that's superb! Such nice tune, nice playing, and of course, nice guitar!

Thanks for sharing, Jon!

Pp

PS I bet John K at Pono will soon receive quite a few enquiries about Koa parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace