The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2021, 08:26 AM

Default QSC K8 v2 vs "Grab and Go"

Hi gang,

My acoustic duo (three singers, two guitars) has played through a Yamaha MX and two QSC K8 v2's on poles forever.

I've been debating a smaller rig for solo gigs with just 1 acoustic and 1 mic. Before I drop the coin on an AER or Bose or something in the $1k club, I'm curious if there's a real benefit over one of these items versus going straight with a mic and guitar into the back of the QSC K8?

I really don't do much EQ and rarely use any effects, so this isn't about "tone shaping" or effects. It's more about whether an AER or one of its competitors will offer better dispersion and perhaps a better out of the box tone than going straight into the back.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2021, 09:28 AM

I use a single QSC CP8 direct to the backside for a duo. I don't miss the mixer. Our guitars and pedals have plenty of EQ and volume controls, and I never EQ a vocal mic.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-05-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
I've been debating a smaller rig for solo gigs with just 1 acoustic and 1 mic. Before I drop the coin on an AER or Bose or something in the $1k club, I'm curious if there's a real benefit over one of these items versus going straight with a mic and guitar into the back of the QSC K8?
I don't know much about the highly regarded AERs. The standard benefits of Bose sticks over a QSC are much better dispersion (advertised as 180 degrees), setup simplicity and the ability of sticks to reach the back of the crowd without blasting folks in front. Setup simplicity really comes into play with the Bose L1 Pro8 since like the rest of the new line it has simple effects on board that eliminate the need for a mixer (unlike the less powerful L1 Compact), though that sounds like less of a priority for you.

I first started looking at Bose and other sticks after wrestling with a JBL EON 15 in the 55-pound range; getting that on and off a pole was great fun. But your QSC K8 is much more manageable. Dealing with that weight plus one speaker stand is a cinch. If dispersion isn't an issue, and you're happy with your direct-in sound, and you're not gonna be blasting away, you'd be paying for qualities you don't need.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I use a single QSC CP8 direct to the backside for a duo. I don't miss the mixer. Our guitars and pedals have plenty of EQ and volume controls, and I never EQ a vocal mic.

Hi Jon,
Really curious about how you have this thing wired. I zoomed in on your photo and saw something I wasn’t expecting.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Jon,
Really curious about how you have this thing wired. I zoomed in on your photo and saw something I wasn’t expecting.

Two mono 1/4" connected to a 3.5mm TRS/Stereo Y adapter for the guitars.
Two XLR mic cables to an XLR Y for the mics.

The CP-8 has fairly flexible inputs. One channel has a mic level switch and the other has a standard Neutrik 1/4" plus XLR balanced input plus a parallel 3.5mm stereo consumer line level input. It helps that we use identical SM58s. This would not work for mics that were enough different that a Y is a problem.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 07-05-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I played an outdoor solo gig last week with a single K8.2 and received
numerous 'unprompted' complements on sound quality. The fenced in audience
was in about a 50 yard x 50 yard area with a lake & boats beside &
behind me. I also have a Bose L1m2, and I find myself using the K8.2
more and more. I used a mixer to have controls nearby.

Guitar chain was Goodall RSC/BlackStack - sunnaudio DI-2.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
Hi gang,

My acoustic duo (three singers, two guitars) has played through a Yamaha MX and two QSC K8 v2's on poles forever.

I really don't do much EQ and rarely use any effects, so this isn't about "tone shaping" or effects. It's more about whether an AER or one of its competitors will offer better dispersion and perhaps a better out of the box tone than going straight into the back.

Thanks!
Just one K8 on a pole is perfect for small solo gigs. No need for anything else really.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification