The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-21-2020, 11:30 AM

Default Information On Digital Micrometers/Calipers

I have an old micrometer that can't give real measurements beyond .4, .5... I would like a very nice digital caliper/micrometer that can differentiate between .54, .52..etc. - if possible. What do you have that is durable and extremely accurate? Also, do you think that a micrometer or a digital micrometer is equal or if one is more accurate.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

MMM,
Telling us what types of measurements would be helpful. There are many types of micrometers for different measuring applications. I suspect a digital or dial caliper measuring to .001” would probably suit most of your needs and are readily available.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:13 PM

I don't do anything important. The biggest use would be on guitar pieces.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Lol, me either now...I’m retired. But I did a lot of precision measuring in my career as machinist, gunsmith, inventor and even a QC manager in manufacturing.

For measuring nuts, saddles, string height, etc. a standard 6” dial or digital caliper is all you need. I tend to prefer dial calipers, but I’m old. The digital calipers usually offer switching between inches and millimeters which can be handy, especially when conversing on the www.

FYI-I also still have my first pair of calipers which are vernier calipers...no dials or displays. I doubt many people still know how to read them.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 PM

I'm in the precision-manufacturing industry and thus feel somewhat qualified to answer this.

Dial/vernier vs digital is user preference, there is no inherent accuracy difference between the two. Personally I prefer old school analog/mechanical devices, so I usually buy dial calipers and regular vernier scale micrometers. However, I own digital as well. I have cheap chinesium tools as well as high end American and Japanese tools.

I find the igaging brand to strike the best balance of cost vs performance. I've tested several of their 8" digital calipers against a set of 00 grade Jo blocks and found them to be within .0005" (thats one half of one thousandth of one inch, which is about 1/10 the thickness of a sheet of copy paper) all the way from 0" to their full span of 8".

This is the product I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K3PZVKG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Their 6" caliper is only $40. They have the look, feel and performance of Mitutoyo at about 1/3-1/4 the price.

The dial calipers you can buy on sale at Harbor Freight for $10 are usually within .0005" when tested on the Jo blocks, but sometimes I find they're off as much as .0010 and sometimes (rarely) even .0015"

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 03-21-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Hey MMM,

Mitutoyo makes very good quality micrometers and calipers. Either one will cost about 120.00. I’ve been using them for over 30 years.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 03-21-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
Lol, me either now...I’m retired. But I did a lot of precision measuring in my career as machinist, gunsmith, inventor and even a QC manager in manufacturing.

For measuring nuts, saddles, string height, etc. a standard 6” dial or digital caliper is all you need. I tend to prefer dial calipers, but I’m old. The digital calipers usually offer switching between inches and millimeters which can be handy, especially when conversing on the www.

FYI-I also still have my first pair of calipers which are vernier calipers...no dials or displays. I doubt many people still know how to read them.
I used to be an oilfield machinist. I could read those old calipers though I preferred dial calipers. BTW, I just looked up the current price for the Starrett Dial Calipers I used back then...wow! Something like that would serve the OP well.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-21-2020, 02:26 PM

Thanks all. I have a better idea. My old one is a Vernier-style but it doesn't make me feel good about the accuracy.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

I just recently got a dial micrometer from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very happy with this. I've got an ancient vernier that I have to scratch my head for about 15min before I can remember how to read it and a better outside one I used when I used to have a bike and had to measure valve shims with some frequency. The dial type is the best for general guitar use.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:04 PM

A set of digital Vernier calipers can be your friend!

There's even a crazy button that reads out the measurements in inches for Americans!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-21-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I have a couple. One is a $25 digital from a local Autoparts store. It’s come in handy a number of times, particularly in measuring string gauges on guitars I’ve forgotten what strings are installed. Seems to be accurate enough for that purpose.

The second is a beauty I picked up in a local antique store a few years ago - ex-government, complete with calibration and inspection certificates. I know how to read it, but rarely use it - it’s just a lovely thing to own and handle.

Sadly, it doesn’t have a metric button

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 03-21-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:40 PM

This is a stock pic from the web, but this is the one I have at work. Works great, and comes with a spare battery.

Pro-tip: always remove the battery when you’re done using it.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I used to be an oilfield machinist. I could read those old calipers though I preferred dial calipers. BTW, I just looked up the current price for the Starrett Dial Calipers I used back then...wow! Something like that would serve the OP well.
I like, and have used these, since 1986.

I also bought a cheapy digital caliper on Amazon that has a fraction readout to the 132 th of an inch. I can't calibrate it enough to give an accurate opinion.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

I used to work QC and have Helios (Germany) dial calipers.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 03-22-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
When I lived in New England, I worked at Starrett tool in Athol, MA.
I used to chrome plate all those calipers and scales, (Don't call them rulers I found out)
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic