The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Default Need some thoughts on Travel/Small guitars....

Background: You will notice I have a GS Mini Hog. It is a very nice small guitar. Sounds great and built like a tank as far as I can tell. Transports easy with it's nice carrying bag. However, my granddaughter has taken up guitar at school and I gave her a small Yamaha to get started. I also plan to sooner than later give her my GS Mini which is larger and much nicer than the Yamaha.

Issue: I am thinking about replacing the GS Mini with a different Travel/Small guitar. The only down side for me of the GS Mini is it just doesn't fit my hand very well. Fretting is very tight. I would like to find something with a bit wider nut. Would like for it to come with a nice tote bag. I would also like to stay generally in the same price range as the GS Mini only because I have some fairly expensive guitars to play. In other words I am not looking for a $6k parlor guitar. A GS Mini with a wider nut would be close to what I am looking for. Does anything like this exist?

I am doing the research now so if any of you guys have suggests and can point me in a direction I would appreciate it.

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 10-24-2019, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Martin Dread Jr has a 1&3/4 nut. Reasonable option for a small guitar.
My Journey OF660( more of a true travel instrument) has a 1&3/4 nut.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:55 AM

I replaced a GS Mini with a CA Cargo, nut at 1 3/4 and smaller yet than the Mini (though side-by-side, to my ear, better sound).

Played the Journey mentioned not long ago and it would definitely be a contender.

Though pricier than a Mini, the used market would be a good place to look, and the carbon guitars seem less, um, risky than other used instruments.

Also picked away on an Eastman Parlor (not sure model, now) used at $800, with 1 13/16 nut, even better nut width for me. Sounded nice though no side-by-side comparison.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:04 AM

Hi Jim,
Peruse the Washburn guitars website. I'm pretty sure you'll find one of their parlor or travel sized offerings that'll meet your needs and make you very happy!
-Ron
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 10-24-2019, 08:18 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Alvarez AP70, AP70W, AP66SHB, and other AP models, or step up to an MPA if in budget. 24" scale, 1-3/4" nut. I have played both GS Mini's and my AP70 side by side and prefer the Alvarez. It doesn't come with a bag but I got a small Access One gig bag that is well padded for not that much.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:31 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Im making a list......

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 10-24-2019, 08:32 AM

Travel guitar needs and levels of affordable vary, but....

I haven't played one, but the Martin 000jr comes to mind. I've not actually played one, but the Dread Jr. I've played have been very nice. As others have noted, 1.75 nut widths. If affordability is an issue, there is a better chance of finding a used Dread Jr.

The Seagull Grand parlor-sized guitars and their Godin company brethren sound good to me. I'm not up on which ones have which nut widths unfortunately. As long as light weight and protection are more important than size when in case, the TRIC cases they are often sold with are excellent. Again, used ones are a possibility if cost is a bigger factory.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Here is a non-comprehensive list of specs for various guitars that have interested me, including ones with your requirements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 10-24-2019, 08:38 AM

I'm in love with my Furch little Jane guitar. Very easy to travel with. The bag lets me carry some extras too without getting bulky. Weirdly in tune when I put the neck back on, though needs a tuning tweak of course. Good pickup, completely useable.
Nick
Old 10-24-2019, 08:51 AM

I bought a RainSong parlor identical to the one listed in the link below from Elderly Instruments in May or June of this year. I paid a bit less than the listed price. I have a few wonderful wood guitars that get plenty of play time, but the RainSong is my go anywhere do anything guitar. I love it. It plays so easily and sounds sweet and plenty loud to my ears. I also really like its look. Last but not least, I really appreciate that I don’t have to be nearly as careful with it as my wood guitars. That, along with its small size, makes it a great travel guitar. It’s been with me pretty much every time at the beach, bonfires, camping, hotel rooms, and friends’ and family’s homes since I got it. I know from reading posts on this forum that they’re not for everyone, but I would encourage anyone who hasn’t to give it a try.

RainSong Concert Hybrid CH-PA1100NSG Pure Acoustic 12-Fret Parlor Guitar https://reverb.com/item/4394555-rain...m_medium=share

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 10-24-2019, 09:09 AM

A Larrivee parlor has 1.75" nut and is about the size of a GS Mini, but the lower bout is smaller.
You can occasionally find used ones on Reverb for under $1000. Although I'd check with the seller to ensure those older ones do have the 1.75" nut.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=larrivee%20parlor
Old 10-24-2019, 09:27 AM

I am looking into purchasing a Martin 0X2MAE which is full HPL (top, back, sides) with a 1 3/4 nut, Richlite fretboard and a 24.9" scale. My goal is to find a smaller body guitar (not quite as small as a GS Mini) that will be fairly immune to the elements (i.e. temp and humidity). From the few videos I have seen online they appear to sound pretty good. Would love to hear feedback from an actual owner. Maybe something to consider.
2015 Fender Eric Johnson Signature Strat
Old 10-24-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPS View Post
I am looking into purchasing a Martin 0X2MAE which is full HPL (top, back, sides) with a 1 3/4 nut, Richlite fretboard and a 24.9" scale. My goal is to find a smaller body guitar (not quite as small as a GS Mini) that will be fairly immune to the elements (i.e. temp and humidity). From the few videos I have seen online they appear to sound pretty good. Would love to hear feedback from an actual owner. Maybe something to consider.
I've got the Little Martin LXK2, another full HPL, but it has a 1 11/16" nut. Very short scale, but amazing tone for its size and price point. It's the guitar I take kayak camping because I can fit it into a dry bag. A wonderful option after all those years with a Washburn Rover, which even a campfire couldn't make sound good.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Alvarez AP70, AP70W, AP66SHB, and other AP models, or step up to an MPA if in budget. 24" scale, 1-3/4" nut. I have played both GS Mini's and my AP70 side by side and prefer the Alvarez. It doesn't come with a bag but I got a small Access One gig bag that is well padded for not that much.
I second the Alvarez parlors. I have owned both a couple of the Alvarez parlor models and a mini and prefer the Alvarez. I bought their hardshell case for $80 a few years back and have a padded gig bag that fits well with it also.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Here is a non-comprehensive list of specs for various guitars that have interested me, including ones with your requirements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Thanks for this, Dan! This will be extremely useful to me too!
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion