The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-27-2002, 08:20 PM

Default Reversed Capo Usage

I recently came across a real nice song that uses a reversed Capo application I'd never used before. It's pretty cool. You turn the Capo backwards and put it on so the short padded area/strip that is normally on the back of the neck is now is on the strings (assuming you use a hinged capo like myself)

In this instance, the capo only covered three strings (ADG) on the second fret. The songs chords were predominately G D2 A2 D2/C# and D2/F#.

Pretty sound, just wondered if any of you knew of any other similar uses on some songs.

I have a fine collection of dust mites.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:53 PM

I use that a lot, but I don't turn the capo around. I've got a capo that I've notched to cover only those three strings. Any time I'm playing in E, I'm likely to use it. It really does sound neat.

Bryan
Old 03-01-2002, 07:27 AM

The THIRD HAND CAPO allows you to do exactly what you're talking about by capoing (is that a word?) only certain strings.

This URL also shows the Shubb Partial Capo which is the same as putting your capo on backwards as you described. You'll also see the Keyser Drop D capo.

The more I look the more alternative tuning capo's there are. This web page might throw a little light on the subject for you.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:59 AM

Quote:
capoing (is that a word?)
No. It is " Cape Wing". Which is also a lovely tropical paradise where strolling minstrels play Buffett in alternate tunings.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:02 PM

Hey all -

I think the "reverse capo" alternate tuning (only works with Kyser capos) is the same as DADGAD capo 2. DADGAD is a pretty commonly used alternate tuning, especially in Celtic music. There's an artist named Pierre Bensusan who uses DADGAD as his "standard" tuning.

Do a search on Google for DADGAD and you should find a lot of information.

Ken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell