The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-19-2014, 08:12 AM

Default Ableton question

Greenhorn at recording. Scarlett 2i2 came with Ableton. I can create and export (wav file) a single track with no problem.

When I lay down 2 tracks, I can't figure out how to combine the 2 and export as 1. I've read through the manual and can't figure it out.

Help please.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Not familiar with Ableton, but in most DAWs you have to 'render' the file to a stereo file.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcdonald View Post
I've read through the manual and can't figure it out.

Help please.
open Google - enter this search string - Scarlett 2i2 came with Ableton. tutorial

Review the options, including some youtube vids - surely you will find the help you seek.

GOod luck!
amyFB

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 11-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Maybe this will help or the referenced chapter in the manual. It looks like you may have to create a "Master" track so Ableton will list it at the bottom of the "Export Audio" window

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-19-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:12 PM

The Master track is already created whenever you open an Ableton session and all tracks default to sending their audio to the master.

As someone else mentioned, pull down the file menu and select export. Make sure the Master is selected as the export.

When looking at the Arrangement view there is a selection handle at the top of the timeline. Whatever amount of time this handle has selected is the audio that will be exported. Make sure this selection handle covers the entire range of the audio you want to export.

The arrangement view is pretty typical and very similar to other DAWs. Ableton's Session view is wildly different than otjher DAWs. Getting used to switching between Arrangement view and Session view can take some time. Ableton is a different beast. I have Logic X and Ableton 8 and they're very different animals when it comes to recording. Mixing and mastering between the two platforms is pretty similar, but the recording experience between the two is WILDY different. As a songwriting and arranging tool Ableton is unbeatable. While ABleton definitely has an electronic music bias, I use it for everything includings soli acoustic guitar recording. The only thing I've found that Ableton is not good at is comping takes. It's possible to do this in ABleton, but other DAWs comp takes FAR, FAR better than Ableton. Despite the take comping issues, Ableton is my DAW of choice.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_m View Post
The Master track is already created whenever you open an Ableton session and all tracks default to sending their audio to the master.

As someone else mentioned, pull down the file menu and select export. Make sure the Master is selected as the export.

When looking at the Arrangement view there is a selection handle at the top of the timeline. Whatever amount of time this handle has selected is the audio that will be exported. Make sure this selection handle covers the entire range of the audio you want to export.
There is no wave form in the master track. I can export master but there is no audio.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:07 PM

Success.

The master track is created with the other 2. The problem was, I did not have the outputs for the 2 tracks set to "master".

It was a simple fix. Thanks for the help all.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:16 PM

Glad you got it figured out!!

Learning a DAW is every bit as difficult/frustrating/rewarding/interesting as learning how to play an instrument. Ableton is doubly difficult because it has two separate views that are REALLY different. It's woith the effort, but the learning curve can be steep.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD