The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default *** iPhone Moog synth!!! ***

Calling all synth nerds!

If you ever wanted a MiniMoog synth but couldn't afford the entrance fee* your time has come, and I mean your time has REALLY come. Moog has created an excellent, affordable synth for the iPad and iPhone called the Animoog, and it is on sale! What's more, I've checked it out for you!

Animoog is a digital replication of an analog synth, much in the lines and sound of the MiniMoog but with more features and flexibility. Unlike MiniMoog, Animoog offers limited polyphonic capability. Where it really shines is in modulation flexibility and internal control patching. It looks to me like they've integrated the newer MiniMoog Voyager's X/Y Pad for more extensive modulation possibilities. It also has the ability to save off sounds including all the parameters. The control interface mimics the MiniMoog right down to the kit box knobs. The keyboard is designed to allow you to input touch sensitivity info on the non-pressure sensitive touch screen. It also offers a recorder and a delay unit to allow you to create more complete compositions. I connected the Animoog to my studio monitor system and was rewarded with fat, clear, noise-free sounds.

And the best news is the price: For a limited time, Animoog is only $9.99 (down from $29.99) for the iPad and $0.99 for the iPhone.

Woot!!! If nothing else, it will give you hours of fun

Bob

* The price was imminently reasonable for those old analog synths. They were hand-wired by the tiny Moog staff and featured dozens of control knobs and many little circuit boards.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 PM

So awesome - thanks for posting this! I've mulled over plug-ins and such as well as the actual synths themselves, but could never justify either for the extremely limited (excluding playing around) use I'd give them. This is so perfect for my needs.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

hey thanks Bob I will get it I also have BeBot wich has some fun synth type sounds. Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 PM

I've been playing with the iPad version since the day it came out. It's loads of fun and allows for possibilities with the touch controller that just can't be done with keys. It'd be fun to hook my iPad up to a PA and see just how good the bass sounds.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 PM

I just bought the iPhone version 30 minutes ago.
What a fantastic App.
I'm sure the iPad version is sick.
Thanks for the recommend.
:-)
1996 Yairi JY-10BK, Nashville Jumbo, Black Beauty
Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 AM

Animoog is so fun - even my kids love to play with it. I bought one of the analog synth "toys" over Christmas - the Korg Monotron - and my son will dial up something fun in Animoog (he's 7) and then play with the Monotron on top of it. Fun times
Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I got started in monophonic synths back in the late '70s with Moog, EMS*, and Buchla synths and actually studied electronic music in college. We are talking the days of patch cords here. I can say that this little guy is probably the best combination of fun and flexibility that I've seen. It's just kind of mind-boggling that these capabilities are available for pennies!

Bob

Edit to correct the initials of Electronic Music Studios

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 01-01-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:25 PM

Just bought it on impulse. Sort of unintuitive for the Moog newbie, but some REALLY cool sounds! I can already tell I'm gonna find excuses to use it in my home GB recordings!

Edit: OK, whoa. Played around with it last night waiting for the ball to drop. Wow. I can see how some music producer in the 70s could spend the better part of a year just playing around with that thing. It's intimidating how many variations you can dial in, but darned fun!

Last edited by Sombras; 01-01-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

I picked this up. I sat in a hotel room fooling around with it after spending a day at Disney Land, and I have to say it was a much healthier way of recovering than drinking beer. Seriously, I might have flunked out of high school if I'd have had this technology available. Between this and Bloom my iPhone is now too much fun. Thanks for the recommendation. Now I can pretend to be a member of ELP pretty much whenever I want.

I do expect to use it in my home studio as one of my resolutions this year is to do some fun, experimental recording.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD