The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Default to owners of Ovation 2073LX

Hello all,

My first post here, don't know if I'll be posting much, but would appreciate feedback on a strange issue I have with a new Ovation 2073LX.

From the posts that have been archived, I have read that a forum charter member by the name of ewalling has an instrument like this - so if you're reading, ewalling, let me know what you think.

The problem is, that if you play the low E or A string, anywhere along the neck, by placing the finger in the middle point between the two frets, there is a strong buzzing of the string. If you press on the string so that the finger is adjacent or touching the higher fret of the two, the buzzing disappears. This is true for the first few notes of the D string as well.

I've tried strings of different tensions, and there doesn't seem to be any problem with the neck. Adjusting the truss rod hasn't helped (only if the clearance is ridiculously high). I haven't contacted Ovation yet to see what they think, but I have asked on the Ovation forum - up til now, they have been helpful, but none of the advice has solved the problem. The dealer hasn't solved the matter either.

I've owned a second hand Ovation 1613 for many years, without a single problem. And I've never encountered a guitar with this problem.

Other than this, I'm very happy with the sound. Maybe not as loud as the 1613, but more musical, clear and balanced. Better contrast when playing loud and soft. The neck is narrower than the 1613 (1 7/8" as opposed to 2"), but it's also thicker, so relative playability depends on your preferences.
I play mainly unplugged.

Ideally, I'd like to hear from an owner of this model, if they have encountered this problem.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical