The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Cool Fret markers, yea or not?

Got a new/old Yairi CY 127ce and enjoying it a lot.

It does not have any fret markers. I have been adjusting to not having them after many years of "following the dots" on other guitars. Now wondering about adding stick on fret markers.

What do you think?

Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ in FL View Post
Got a new/old Yairi CY 127ce and enjoying it a lot.

It does not have any fret markers. I have been adjusting to not having them after many years of "following the dots" on other guitars. Now wondering about adding stick on fret markers.

What do you think?

It's kind of like using the bridge when you're playing pool.....
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ in FL View Post

What do you think?

I think you should have to suffer like *real* classical players have to. Just kidding. I stuck a little green stickum dot on on the neck at 7th fret. Probably no one would see the dot unless they get a top view of me.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Whatever works for you. As long as it doesn't harm the guitar. My Cervantes crossover doesn't have markers either. It took some getting used to. But I liken it to playing with my eyes closed. Its all about feeling the music. If Stevie Wonder, Raul Midon and Jose Feliciano can do it, so can I. I actually prefer the clean look. I think it has contributed to my playing improving and maturing.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Hi all,
My Jose' Rodriguez has them on the side. Not visible to the viewing person,but visible to me. I find however that one in memorizing music learns the fingerboard and feels where they are.That is certainly true in non-fretted instruments.
Jan
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM

I've got a classical guitar that I pick up now and again. The lack of fret markers drives me crazy. I need them.

Gibson L-50
Taylor 214
Yamaha C-40

Make Guitar Music | Guitar Practice Tips
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 PM

They are not so important functionally and I like the look of a plain fret board.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

I generally put one very small, about 1.5 mm bone dot on the side of the fretboard at the center of the 7th fret. I like having it when I play. It's not obtrusive, and it does not stand out, and you don't have to put stickies on it, or white out or something.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 PM

An interesting topic. I was talking to Kenny about putting more dots on my Hill guitar. It has one now. I can live with one, especially for the songs that I practiced many times. But, being an electric guitar player for over 25 years, it's natural to see the dots on the side of the fingerboard. It also helps, when I improvise without getting a little confused.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Not for me. However, it's a very personal choice and has no implications in terms of musical ability (my former teacher likes one at the seventh fret, and he's about as good as guitar players get).

I find the neck/body joint is enough of an orientation landmark for me. YMMV.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM

I like side dots, and I see nothing wrong with adding your own if they help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
I generally put one very small, about 1.5 mm bone dot on the side of the fretboard at the center of the 7th fret. I like having it when I play. It's not obtrusive, and it does not stand out, and you don't have to put stickies on it, or white out or something.
That's what I have as well, and apparently it is very common in Southern California. The Romero family (Celene, Pepe, Angel, etc) live in this part of the world, and they have done quite a bit of teaching over the years, as well as having influenced the habits of local players. The story I have heard --repeatedly from people who were more familiar with the Romeros and their guitars -- was that most of the Romeros' instruments had the little white dot on the side of the neck @ the seventh fret. That seemed like a pretty good endorsement to me, and I got into the same habit. It has zero impact if I am not looking at the fretboard, but if I am looking (and playing something where I am *busy* on the higher registers), I think that little dot gives me a useful visual reference. YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical