The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Cervantes Concert Rodriguez vs. Hill Player

I want a traditional classical. I want something comfortable, warm sounding, and loud. Living in Albany, NY we don't have that many mid-range classicals to try out. I have found both of these available for approximately the same price range. There is also a used Kenny Hill Munich available. I can't try them. My goal is to work through some of the Bach transcriptions, several Carcassi pieces, etc. I don't need to be really that picky, and I am totally open to other suggestions. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Very tough call. I'd probably go with the used Hill Munich or the Cervantes. From their websites, the Munich has a spruce top and french polish finish and is based on a Hauser while the Cervantes has a cedar top, laquer finish and is based on a Rodriquez. I've played a genuine Rodriquez and it was a very impressive guitar with a fast neck and excellent tone, if the Crevantes Rodriquez copy is well done I imagine it is a pretty nice guitar. I've also played a Hill Munich and thought it was a good guitar as well. I suspect the Cervantes may be the warmer sounding of the two and the Hill may have a bit better projection.
Regards,
Ed
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM

Take a drive to philly and go to the classical guitar store there, lots of mid-range classicals.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioed View Post
Very tough call. I'd probably go with the used Hill Munich or the Cervantes. From their websites, the Munich has a spruce top and french polish finish and is based on a Hauser while the Cervantes has a cedar top, laquer finish and is based on a Rodriquez. I've played a genuine Rodriquez and it was a very impressive guitar with a fast neck and excellent tone, if the Crevantes Rodriquez copy is well done I imagine it is a pretty nice guitar. I've also played a Hill Munich and thought it was a good guitar as well. I suspect the Cervantes may be the warmer sounding of the two and the Hill may have a bit better projection.
Regards,
Ed
Both very nice guitars, great values in their price category. The Hill Munich, based on the Hauser design, will be a smaller body guitar compared to the Cervantes Rodriguez. More a neutral spruce tone with great projection - that's an awesome combination to my subjective ear. The Cervantes will have more a Spanish cedar warmth. I myself prefer spruce over cedar tone-wise, but it's strictly a personal taste thing.

One other thing...I'm thinking the Hill might have a slightly narrower width at the nut, 51mm versus 52mm on the Cervantes. Shouldn't matter.

I'd have to flip a coin on this one.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the input. Now the fun part, making up my mind.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Ok, after all that, I ended up actually getting a Pavan TP-30. I spoke with Tom and he had a used one in the shop at a great price, so I went with it. He's shipping today and it arrives Thursday.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Good choice. Enjoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical