The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-18-2020, 06:01 PM

Default ChordBuddy Question

Ok, I've seen this advertised on Facebook a great deal. And when I stopped at the Guitar Center today the guy told me it was so popular and so helpful that they keep selling out of them.

So, what do you posters think? Is the Chordbuddy a gimmick or does it actually help you learn the chords?

https://www.chordbuddy.com/

r/Mike
Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 PM

Plenty of free online chord charts and YouTube tutorials (for beginners to the more advanced) if it was me, but whatever is going to work for you would be my advice.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:52 PM

Just another form of capo.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I am somewhat new to the hobby.

Capo? Please splain.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
That's about as wrong as can be. Any resemblance to a capo is completely incidental. Don't confuse the guy.

OP: there are aids and gimmicks. This is a gimmick. I suggest you learn chords the old fashioned way.

Google the word "capo."
Old 02-19-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
That's about as wrong as can be. Any resemblance to a capo is completely incidental. Don't confuse the guy.

OP: there are aids and gimmicks. This is a gimmick. I suggest you learn chords the old fashioned way.

Google the word "capo."
Good advice, learn the chords, learn the theory, and you won't need any gadgets, aids, or gimmicks.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:14 AM

One thing it has going for it is that beginners can focus on one thing at a time. We all remember the first time we tried to form a chord AND try to strum at the same time. Two hands trying to do something new simultaneously. Pressing a button and focusing on strumming can be useful. Once you get comfortable with strumming and timing, take it off and then focus on fingering with strumming automatic. Also, if my left hand gets anymore arthritic, it could be very helpful.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Man I hate to be just another old guy piling on but I gotta agree .

In direct answer to the OP's question (Yes) it is pretty much a Gimmick, and (NO) it does not "help you learn the chords" in fact it is specifically designed to allow you to not learn chord fingering. It is in fact mis named. It would be more accurately (and honestly) named, RhythmBuddy

Because only thing it actually does is allow is to practice rhythm while avoiding fingering ..... BUT arguably playing guitar is matter of the specific interaction of both fingering and rhythm and how that combination gels into each other, and it may not really be advisable or optimal to learn one, while avoiding the other .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-19-2020, 11:00 AM

Well, I figured it was a gimmick as well. But the one thing that does seem to be helpful about it is when you pull out the tabs and that leaves open the strings you need to play for the chords.

That seems like it might be helpful to me. But then again, what do I know about such things, I am a beginner.

See the video at the 1:37 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUJo6DEKqvU
Old 02-19-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
Well, I figured it was a gimmick as well. But the one thing that does seem to be helpful about it is when you pull out the tabs and that leaves open the strings you need to play for the chords.

That seems like it might be helpful to me. But then again, what do I know about such things, I am a beginner.

See the video at the 1:37 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUJo6DEKqvU
I saw the thing when they pitched it on Shark Tank, and it's predicated on the nonsense notion that it's just soooo hard to learn chords, and that introducing this "Garanimals"-like silliness into the process helps you learn. Your choice of course, but IMO it's a distraction.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:57 AM

The Chord Buddy will fret the strings of a Chord for you, while only pushing 1 button. It will not teach you how to play the actual chord. The theory is of course that after a period of time you can pull the tabs and start actual fingering of the chords by yourself. If you perfect the Chord buddy and happen to get a Gig, and during the Gig the Chord Buddy breaks. Pack it up and go home. You can't play a note without it.
Other than that, it will allow you to play songs. Just will not teach you chords as many hope it may. You still have to learn the proper finger position of the chord shape..
It's like Guitar Hero.

Ed

Last edited by Edgar Poe; 02-19-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I am somewhat new to the hobby.

Capo? Please splain.
This might help: https://bit.ly/3bQfmRV
Old 02-19-2020, 05:03 PM

This is for anyone who doesn't want to actually learn how to play guitar, but wants to play guitar.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-19-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
The Chord Buddy will fret the strings of a Chord for you, while only pushing 1 button. It will not teach you how to play the actual chord. The theory is of course that after a period of time you can pull the tabs and start actual fingering of the chords by yourself. If you perfect the Chord buddy and happen to get a Gig, and during the Gig the Chord Buddy breaks. Pack it up and go home. You can't play a note without it.
Other than that, it will allow you to play songs. Just will not teach you chords as many hope it may. You still have to learn the proper finger position of the chord shape..
It's like Guitar Hero.

Ed
But in the video the guy says when you pull the tabs that exposes the strings that you need to play the chord. And then you can concentrate on those strings only since the other tabs are hiding the other strings.

Wouldn't that help you learn chords?
Old 02-19-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
But in the video the guy says when you pull the tabs that exposes the strings that you need to play the chord. And then you can concentrate on those strings only since the other tabs are hiding the other strings.

Wouldn't that help you learn chords?
No. It will help you learn to use the Chord Buddy. But that is obviously not the answer you're looking for.

You actually want ideas to make it easier to learn? Smaller strings. Tune down a half-step. Be sure you have a good setup on your guitar. Take your time, start slow and build. Check out Justinguitar.com.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars