The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 02:35 PM

Default Chicago acoustic tech recommendations?

I checked & it's been a couple of years since the last thread on this subject, so:

Any suggestions for good acoustic techs in the Chicago area?
Any new places?
Old places closed down?
Thanks!

Edit - I see that Chicago Luthier's Workshop handles repairs for the store at the Old Town School of Folk Music. Anybody have any experience with their work?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:44 PM

"Shake Shop" on Fullerton. Tom is a really good guy, does good work, and is reasonably priced. He has set up at least a half dozen of my guitars.

Only problem with using the Old Town School's link to Chicago Luthier's workshop is that there is no opportunity to discuss what you are seeking with the actual person who will be doing it. Having said that, they've done good setup work on a couple of my guitars.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:00 PM

I haven’t lived in Chicago for a long time now, but the gentleman I trusted to do all my repair and set up work when I lived there is still in business: Terry Straker, owner and operator of The Guitar Works on Main Street in Evanston, Illinois.

Terry is semi-retired now but the last time we spoke he told me he still kept his hand in doing some repairs. He also has some ultra-competent repair techs on staff who do the lion’s share of the work.

The Guitar Works is also a great, acoustic guitar-oriented music store to visit just on its own merits - Terry’s an authorized dealer for both Martin and Collings and I think Taylor, as well.

Note: I have no commercial connection with Terry Straker and The Guitar Works other than as a satisfied repeat customer. Terry was also the dealer that I ordered my custom Collings mandolin and, more recently, my Martin Custom Shop 00-21 through. So I can recommend him, his store and his repair services without reservation.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Marc Babin with Babin Guitars in Hampshire, IL. Not in the city, but if you are open to a bit of a drive, Marc is worth the trip.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:26 PM

I've had work done by Marc Babin. He does good work but he is a bit of a drive. I have found that Guitar works in Evanston does a good job at a decent price and I usually end up there.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Moved from Chicago in 2018, but my go to shop in the city was "Chicago Fret Works" on N. Lincoln Ave. Great repair shop, and great guys. I concur with the Marc Babin recommendation if you're in the Northwestern suburban area. There is also a great tech that works out of Music Gallery in Highland Park, as well as Music Source in Grayslake. His name is Chip Jurkovic.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Moved from Chicago in 2018, but my go to shop in the city was "Chicago Fret Works" on N. Lincoln Ave. Great repair shop, and great guys. I concur with the Marc Babin recommendation if you're in the Northwestern suburban area. There is also a great tech that works out of Music Gallery in Highland Park, as well as Music Source in Grayslake. His name is Chip Jurkovic.
Have you had work done at Music Gallery? How was your experience?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
Have you had work done at Music Gallery? How was your experience?
Not at Music Gallery specifically, but I have had work done by Chip Jurkovic out of Music Source in Grayslake - mostly set-ups, and a couple pickup installs. He works out of both locations (or did when I lived there). I was always pleased with Chip's work.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:47 PM

I had work done at Fretworks on my Furch and they did an impeccable job.

My best friend also had work done at Chicago Music Exchange, but they had a longer turn around.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Third Coast Guitars is a shop I've used several times. Super nice people to work with, too. I've used them for set ups and fret levels, all done perfectly.

And if you need major work done, they did the following on my brother-in-law's 2 guitars:

1977 D28 - horribly warped and dried out from being left in the basement for years. 4 months later, it is back to amazing (very slow rehumidification process to prevent further damage).

2015 Taylor 514 - he tripped and dropped the guitar on the corner of a coffee table, puncturing a hole in the side about the size of a quarter. 3 weeks later, I defy anyone to find the hole! I know where it was at and it took me 30 minutes of manipulating it in the light to find it. Obviously, you can tell from the inside, but the outside is just beautiful

He is back to using both daily.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion