The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Waterloo WL-14 ladder Brace - WL-S Comparison

How would you compare the Waterloo WL-14 ladder braced guitar to the Waterloo WL-S ladder braced guitar. Besides being different neck lengths what are the sound differences?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-18-2020, 01:54 PM

Have you already checked out Ian Meadows' vids?

WL-14 Ladder-Braced

WL-S

I haven't played either, but I'm very interested in the WL-S.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I've owned both the 14L and a WL-S Deluxe. The 14L had better bass and the one I had really projected well when playing fingerstyle or Carter family kinds of things.

The WL-S was a little quieter but still was very responsive with good projection for its size. It had a smoother sound when strummed and also really nailed the Charlie Patton sound when playing blues.

Most of the volume differences would be attributed to body size differences. Being quieter is also not necessarily bad when it means better tone; some of the Waterloos sound harsh to me when they're really being played hard. The neck on the WL-S was a million times more comfortable to me than the hard V on the 14's.

Santa Cruz H, Martin D28A 1937, 000-28AA 1937, 000-15M, Fairbanks F-20NL, Walker Wise River

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion