The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-12-2020, 09:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Learned something new today: "Cuffing Season"

It came up in Merriam-Webster's "Word of the Day." Being a "wordie," I subscribe. They seriously inform me that we are coming up on the very pinnacle of "Cuffing Season". Nevah hoid of it.

"Cuffing Season" occurs in the period of the yearly cycle where temperatures are colder. Supposedly, single people begin looking for temporary, casual relationships to pass the colder, darker months with. It culminates in Valentine's Day. If the temporary relationship doesn't explode around that time from mishandling it often withers as the temperatures rise again.

The term "cuff" comes from "handcuff," a slang for "hooking up." The term itself seems to smack of a callous treatment of the subject. It is true that "Cuffing Season" was first used on college campuses and first showed up in print in a college newspaper in 2011. Perhaps the mechanics of the college experience (new year, new friends, resulting in new relationships) can explain it in that context. I seem to recall that many of the relationships did, indeed, start all lovely-dovey in the Fall and then explode in the Spring. But this term has now moved out to the general public.

When my wife and I, who are approaching forty years of married happiness (well most of it) hear of stuff like this we tend to look at each other and parrot the lines from a scene in the movie, When Harry Met Sally:
"Tell me I'll never have to be out there again," Marie sighs. "You will never have to be out there again," Jess replies as he puts his arm around her.
Honestly? What new ways will people come up with to make themselves unhappy? Cuffing Season.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

That's great, Bob. I also enjoy their, "Word of the Day." My dad was a school principal with a fabulous vocabulary. When I was little, I remember his saying that one of his school kids ate a page of the dictionary every morning for breakfast. I still think that's a great line and the "Word of the Day" might be the next-best thing.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That's great, Bob. I also enjoy their, "Word of the Day." My dad was a school principal with a fabulous vocabulary. When I was little, I remember his saying that one of his school kids ate a page of the dictionary every morning for breakfast. I still think that's a great line and the "Word of the Day" might be the next-best thing.
I will confess to having been caught reading the dictionary for entertainment. Oh the shame. I also caught this love from my father. No-one would play Scrabble with either of us. "That's not a word!" Um...

Bob

Old 02-12-2020, 09:43 AM

I have a MENSA word smithing friend who taught me to:
"Beware of stating platitudinous ponderosity while promulgating esoteric
cogencies."

Took me a while to figure that out...

LarryK.

Last edited by Lkristians; 02-12-2020 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added emoji
Old 02-12-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
[/INDENT]Honestly? What new ways will people come up with to make themselves unhappy? Cuffing Season.

Bob
No offense but you're looking at it backwards. This is something people do to make themselves HAPPY. If it doesn't work out, as apparently many times they don't, then it doesn't work out. As I've discovered myself, short term relationships like this can be fun and make 2 folks happy at least for a time. It doesn't lead to unhappiness as you were never "really" attached to that person/relationship in the first place. Even if at first you thought you were.

40 years is an accomplishment to be sure but as you even admit, there were times when it wasn't all happiness plus you're "stuck" with that person. Personally I prefer the freedom and happiness I've found outside the (wedding) ring. It might not be for everyone but it works for a lot of us.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
No offense but you're looking at it backwards. This is something people do to make themselves HAPPY. If it doesn't work out, as apparently many times they don't, then it doesn't work out.
No offense taken. It was an attempt at irony. There are things in life that we do in order to make ourselves happy that quite often seem doomed to make us even more unhappy. From my perspective, I can't imagine that a relationship designed from the beginning to be short-termed and casual could offer the contentment that a well-adjusted long-term relationship does.

Bob

Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Bob. Reckon I learnt a new term today.

It ain’t yet in the OED yet.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 02-12-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
No offense taken. It was an attempt at irony. There are things in life that we do in order to make ourselves happy that quite often seem doomed to make us even more unhappy. From my perspective, I can't imagine that a relationship designed from the beginning to be short-termed and casual could offer the contentment that a well-adjusted long-term relationship does.

Bob
Cool Bob. And congrats on your stability. Please just understand that some folks aren't looking to be "content" (which sounds kinda boring to be honest) and a "well adjusted long-term relationship" appears to be an oxymoron among most people I meet.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Guest 33123

I've watched all three of my high school best friends get divorced in their 40s so it's not just "kids these days". I'm the last man standing.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:24 PM

Seems likely to be a very transitory bit of slang used by few people even in the days of its currency.

In plain English, nothing to get into a conniption about, or to cause anyone the fantods.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Seems likely to be a very transitory bit of slang used by few people even in the days of its currency.

In plain English, nothing to get into a conniption about, or to cause anyone the fantods.
Brilliant, Frank. Thus causing me to learn yet another new-to-me word.

I agree, though. It’s clearly a nonce word. Like “twerk,” I’m unsure of its lasting power.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic