The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Another Neck Joint Controversy

Strictly reffering to Steel String Guitars
I know the choice between Dovetail, MT, and Bolt on (I'll throw Spanish Method in as well) has been debated many many times on here.
Obviously all those methods have their supporters and all have theirs pros and cons. With some saying they can hear the difference other not etc etc.

I'm looking to stir the pot in a different direction.

I'm curious if anyone has any input, (opinion or fact) as to removing large amounts of soundboard, or leaving as much soundboard at the neck joint as possible.

I suppose the argument against cutting it out being the soundboard is the biggest contributor to sound and wanting to leave as much of it intact as possible.
And the opposite argument being that once you glue a block or heel inside the guitar to the soundboard you aren't going to get any resonance from that area. (I know also some believe the upper bout isn't that big a contributor to sound U shaped heel or not)

Two pictures below to illustrate (just from google search).

.....aaaaaand go.

Large Amount Removed

Small Amount Removed
Old 04-22-2018, 05:57 PM

Irrelevant. The headblock, upper transverse brace, and fingerboard extension all make that area very stiff and heavy (acoustically dead).

It is possible to design guitars with an active upper bout, especially if you move the soundhole somewhere else like McPherson so it doesn't disconnect the upper bout from the bridge area. But you need to use a cantilevered fingerboard extension, and an alternative headblock stabilization method like flying buttresses.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:41 PM

Some people intentionally make the upper bout area dead as to not waste energy or muck up what the lower bout is doing. As long as you have a solid joint between the neck and body, rout away.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:49 PM

You can't have this conversation without mentioning Thomas Humphrey. Guidry has used this style of neck joint as well.

Humphrey

Guidry
Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks everybody, appreciate the wisdom
Old 04-28-2018, 10:29 AM

Just to mention the obvious, that if you decide to add a pocket on the top of the soundboard, that you've made provisions for it underneath, i.e. neck block tongue or extension... Although there is a company in Canada that builds guitars with that area floating (Riversong)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair