The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-16-2015, 04:45 PM

Default A simple minimum-frills recorder ?

Greetings everyone

Just obtained a ZOOM h4n (used) at the local GC for a very good price. Should have done my homework as this unit has far too many features/complications for my needs. After looking up the manual and seeing it was a mere 153 pages !!!!!!!!!! I decided to take it back tomorrow and find something a little simpler.

So................All my needs really are is 2-track recording, ext. mics input, limiting, USB port, battery and plug in operation, adjustable recording volume, simple menus and not much else. But, I would like one that is known for quality recordings and durability.

Suggestions ?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:53 PM

while the manual may be 153 pages an the zoom h4n may have more features than you need, the real issue is how complicated is it to use?

i own an h2, h2n, and q2, (but not a h4n), and i'd guess operating it for simple recordings would be quite straightforward.

is there a quick start section? i bet the section for making a recording is only a few pages long.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
while the manual may be 153 pages an the zoom h4n may have more features than you need, the real issue is how complicated is it to use?

i own an h2, h2n, and q2, (but not a h4n), and i'd guess operating it for simple recordings would be quite straightforward.

is there a quick start section? i bet the section for making a recording is only a few pages long.
There was a simplified section but it didn't answer other (to me) simple questions. And..............the operational features of the recorder did not correspond exactly to the manual. I'm guessing there may have been firmware revisions or similar. Id rather start with something simpler than decipher this unit.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
There was a simplified section but it didn't answer other (to me) simple questions. And..............the operational features of the recorder did not correspond exactly to the manual. I'm guessing there may have been firmware revisions or similar. Id rather start with something simpler than decipher this unit.
hi Tomm…

The Zoom H1 is as basic as it gets. I've seen it used by reporters, interviewers, and even on Daryl's House as a mic to capture the conversation at the far end of the table while they are eating.

I've had guitar students who carry them as idea collectors, and amateur film-makers who hide them in a few places around a set and combine/mix the audio in mix-down.

They do a great job, and are very simple, and very small.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-17-2015, 12:45 AM

I have a Zoom H6 and also a Zoom H2n. I tend to use the H2 because it is both good and simple!
Martin J40
Old 06-17-2015, 05:12 AM

the zoom h1, h2, h2n have a 1/8" stereo jack mic input. the h4n and up have xlr/phantom power mic inputs.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:52 AM

I like the Sony M10. Simple, easy to use, sounds good.

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD