The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default "Old" guitar day at the studio!

Today I was overdubbing some electric guitar parts into a song that just needed some "ooomp." The bridge sections just didn't jump so I decided to put in power chords and funky vamps to goose them. Nothing seems to do this job as well as my "old" '74 Les Paul Standard. I've been told, authoritatively, mind you, that this guitar will never achieve any status other than "old," and you have to believe everything you hear on the Internet, don't you? Now, it is dumber than dirt and as heavy as a stack of bricks but at forty years old it still seems to deliver the chunk and funk better than any other guitar that I've tried. Horses for courses, I suppose.

My lovely wife commissioned the strap over thirty years ago. Anyhoo, a good time was had by all and the song is better with the chunk.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Nice pic, Bob!!! I have a 1973 Les Paul Custom, cherry sunburst. My first good electric bought when I was 18. Gigged through the 70's and 80's into the early 90's with it.

I can relate to the "heavier than a stack of bricks" comment. I think some of my cervical disk issues (C5 - C6) might be attributed to it.

I paid $465 new out the door for it in '73 - they even threw in a pack of Super Slinky's. Based on used prices I see nowadays, I think I could get significantly more for it... I'll never sell it tho. Too many fond memories.

Did you buy yours new in 1974?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I scraped up every penny I had for three years and finally was able to buy it used in '76 for $425. The first time I tried the cheapest Deluxe was $250 so I saved another six months. But it seemed that whatever the going rate for LPs was, I would end up about $25 short at any given time. Finally a shop manager had pity on me and sold it to me for less than he wanted to. And yep, too many miles and smiles in this one to sell.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:25 PM

Very nice--even with those ice blocks on the neck--it just oozes the dueses!
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD