The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-09-2001, 08:03 AM

Smile Chord Trick - Nashville Tuning

NASHVILLE TUNING

This is an alternate tuning but also sort of a 'trick'....some call this "poor man's....errr....."poor person's 12-string"...it's not inferior to a 12-string though....just different....often preferable....

The lowest 4 strings of the guitar are replaced with THINNER strings and tuned an octave higher than you would expect.

(DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT try to tune regular strings up an octave....I'm not responsible for you ruining your TAYLOR!)

The cool thing (the 'trick') is that all of your chord shapes stay the same since

6th string still is E
5th still is A
4th still is D
3rd still is G

but the sound is very different...sort of like a 12-string...but very different....

If you've got a second guitar sitting around, restring it (you could use strings from a 12-string set) and play with another guitarist or record yourself playing the SAME EXACT parts in both standard and Nashville tuning and blend them together (this happens in Kansas' Dust in the Wind for example...you get a big, big, big, fat, sound....but again, different from a 12-string.

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd varies this tuning further by replacing the low E sting with a high E string (up two full octaves) - cool sound....

Go to the FAQ section of Acoustic Guitar Magazine (acousticguitar.com) for info...

or just search "Nashville Tuning" on the internet......you'll probably come to some cool sites about alternate tunings in general....

[ 03-09-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]

[ 03-09-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-09-2001, 02:32 PM

I will like to add that many studios will do this to 'better' record a 12 string.

GL
Old 12-24-2001, 05:59 AM

Bill McDade
Jazzer
McJazzer
McJagger

thought that was pretty good...

it's all about connections...

Bob Womack mentioned the TV series "Connections" in a different post...

mmmm.....

Eric_H mentioned Poe in a different post...

I mentioned Dr. Seuss...

Let's see...Poe's "The Cask of....

Mother-in-law

Mother-in-law-in-the-wall.....

back to this before I get into trouble...

Keith Richards often plays in open - G tuning

from low (fat) to high that's

DGDGBD....

There was an article in some issue of Guitar World or one of those magazines a couple years back that highlighted Keith Richard's playing style...it's the one with him on the cover

am I in the correct thread here?

hmmmmm....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 12-25-2001, 03:15 PM

Thanks folks for the info on the Nashville tuning, today's Christmas so the store's aren't open, tom. I go get a set of 12 strings & try some of this. Mapletrees, if that's how your mind works I'd like to see some of your song lyrics...almost as cosmic as Bob Womack's story about the mountaintop dorm hallway where you could open windows & doors opposite each other on a cloudy, windy day & watch the clouds roll thru the hallway...Dust In the Wind, indeed!
Old 12-25-2001, 05:18 PM

Smile

McJagger

I almost didn't catch the Dust in the Wind thing.....

I really know diddly-poop about recording...so someone else like Gordon or Bob Womack might chime in for ideas to try with this tuning idea.....

a difference between combining this tuning with another guitar in regular tuning vs. using a 12-string is that to me the sound comes out fatter and fuller...there will be slight variances in rhythm, etc...between the guitars....

I know this isn't a Metal forum, but if you listen to the solos from some of the popular 'old' early 80's (that's 20 years ago! my word...) Ozzy tunes...Randy Rhoads (sp?) would play the solos twice and then blend them together...you get a very, very, thick and intense sound that way...much more interesting than just using an electronic gizmo to double it....same effect with the acoustics...instant wall of sound...

(I'm not a metal-head....but I realized when I was giving folks lessons I had no interest in teaching 'kids' Korn, Limp Bizkit, Whizz-knob Triscuit, etc...tunes....that featured no interesting guitar whatsoever....I went on a metal guitar crash course...if they want to get into noisy stuff we're going to at least do musical noisy stuff!)

also keeps you young....
Old 12-27-2001, 12:24 AM

In an interview online at acousticguitsr.com, this is what Joni Mitchell says:

open G [D G D G B D], with the fifth string removed, which is all Keith Richards plays in...
Old 01-11-2002, 09:37 AM

Keith Richards used to use Nashville tuning quite a bit. A good example is "Wild Horses," which was in Nashville tuning and open G.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:22 PM

I have always wanted to try this kind of tuning with just the high strings. Does this effect the tension on the neck therefore causing a problem?

MJH

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell