The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-19-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Buyers Guide to Microphones

Got this e-mail. From Vintage King and thought it might be interesting for any new recordists looking for mics

https://vintageking.com/blog/2019/03...43675740901894

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-19-2020, 10:14 AM

There's also this: SWEETWATER MIC SHOOTOUT

And this:

https://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

Like Vintage King's survey, they're limited to products the retailers sell. But unlike VK, these have actual sound samples from the gear. The samples are never exactly what you want to hear, but you can get a good idea of compared-to-what.

Couch Standards
Old 02-19-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Those are great also . The Sweetwater one I think was posted a while back. But as you note those are more specific as to how different specific mic's brands and models actually sound .
The article I posted isn't a survey of mic sounds , It is more of beginners general mic usage 101 type article, types of mics and possible usages etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 02-19-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

This was a poorly written article and was misleading and confusing.

The author tried to introduce types of microphones but then mixed in vintage-vs-modern, which is not a TYPE of microphone.

The author tried to introduce TYPES of microphone operation but then compared the built-in pre-amp styles (FET vs tube).

He also talked about condenser mics incorrectly. He tried to say there are two types of condenser mics and then talked about the separate amplifier circuits as the two types.

There are, in fact, two types of condensor mics: externally polarized (with phantom power) and pre-polarized (no external power).

This was, a terrible article by someone who does know a little bit and can sound authoritative but will simply mislead and misinform people.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-19-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

There's also the very impressive Audio Test Kitchen, an interactive site which allows you to shootout mics you choose from their extensive list.

Using the site requires a few minutes of learning, but here's a video explaining how to use it.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-19-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

The author tried to introduce types of microphones but then mixed in vintage-vs-modern, which is not a TYPE of microphone.

The author tried to introduce TYPES of microphone operation but then compared the built-in pre-amp styles (FET vs tube).

He also talked about condenser mics incorrectly. He tried to say there are two types of condenser mics and then talked about the separate amplifier circuits as the two types.

There are, in fact, two types of condensor mics: externally polarized (with phantom power) and pre-polarized (no external power).

This was, a terrible article by someone who does know a little bit and can sound authoritative but will simply mislead and misinform people.
Really OK to each their own opinion ?

I think as a brief overview it is (not misleading AT ALL )

Read it again (your statement is actually misleading )the author did not put modern vs. vintage in the "TYPES" category . He mentioned those under the preliminary "Choosing a Microphone" category, and they are in point of fact "choice options"
Also SDS and LDS are in point of fact, two types of condenser mic designs.

Etc Etc Etc
No need to go point by point and bicker. Because your opinion as to being poorly written is of course "your opinion" and you are entitled to it . But calling it "misleading" and "misinforming" is highly debatable at the very least.
There is not a single thing in that article that is misleading or misinformed or would lead a beginner into making a big buying mistake. But I am not going to debate you about that . Cheers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-19-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I was going to write earlier but had an appointment and Kev beat me to it. I agree with all the points he made. The author did not say vintage mics were a "type" of mic. He merely said they were an option, and he said it before the "Types Of Microphones" section, so that's not really a fair criticism.

Quote:
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. If you're defining FET mics as having a built-in pre-amp, that's misleading since you almost always need a pre-amp with a FET condenser.

Quote:

He separates condensers into LDC and SDC. If you ask audio folks how to categorize condenser mics, the first response will almost always be tube & FET, or LDC and SDC. I've never heard anyone categorize them as "xternally polarized and pre-polarized," as you've said, and I've likely had at least a thousand microphone conversations in my life.

Quote:
I think the article is well written and would be of great benefit to someone who is unsure about what kinds of microphones are available. I'm baffled by your reaction to it.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD