The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Default Collings 01 vs Martin 0-18

Hello AGFers,

I currently have 2 nice acoustics, 000-28EC and a UK Westside Custom 0-15. Love them both but find I'm playing the 0-15 much more. I'm solely a home player for my amusement and I'm really starting to think that a Single-Oh is perhaps, the only guitar I actually need.

GAS has been growing for the 0-18 recently and now the Collings has poked its head above the parapet and dared me to consider it and I wanted to canvass opinion on both. I realise that these two share many features but occupy VERY different price categories, guess I'm wondering whether the additional investment in a Collings would be money well spent.

I'm familiar with Martin, have had a few over the years now, have never played a Collings but I'm familiar with the seemingly universal praise in terms of build, sound and overall integrity that they garner from players and reviewers. I'm not necessarily looking for the Martin sound but am looking for the classic single '0' template.

My concerns with the Martin revolve around the PA neck, didn't care for it on my 000-18 but played a new 00-18 last week that felt a little more full and pleasing. I've also owned a few Martins that have a certain thuddy quality to certain notes at various points along the neck and wondered whether Collings famed build quality somehow renders this irrelevant.

Collings concerns I guess centre on the compound radius neck, which I've never played and I'd probably look for a 1 3/4 nut width which I have seen from time to time on the non-T model.

My playing style is a mix of light strumming, flatpicking and fingers to a decidedly average standard but have a yearning to attain a PROPER little parlour and make it a lifetime guitar (insert rolling eyes emoji here !).

Any thoughts and experiences would be welcome.

Thank you in advance
Old 04-24-2019, 09:58 AM

Try a Collings C-10 also.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:13 AM

I have a 2018 0-18 and it is a wonderful little guitar. The neck and size are very comfortable and the tone and volume are surprizing. It can be played quietly for and by oneself or join in with larger guitars without being lost in the crowd.

I have not had the fortune to play the Collings 0, but would like to. I have a couple of Waterloo 00-sized guitars that I love and I am sure that the Collings is probably better. Unfortunately, my wife thinks that I have quite enough small guitars.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 AM

This question recently came up in this thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=541580 and it’s worth a look as a lot of people weighed in.

I love my O1A Trad and I’ll tell you I haven’t once thought about radius on a Collings - they feel great up and down the neck. It’s a very versatile instrument.

Of course you’d be well served to get each in your hands, but I’d be more comfortable sight unseen buying a Collings.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:50 PM

https://themusicemporium.com/guitars...st-traditional

I played that guitar a few weeks ago and it really blew me away. Full open sound.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiv9 View Post
https://themusicemporium.com/guitars...st-traditional

I played that guitar a few weeks ago and it really blew me away. Full open sound.
Love that burst! Looks like the one on my OM1A JL. Also note that the traditional cases are soon not going to be standard anymore. The O in a traditional case is tiny (smaller than a Baby in a TKL) and really handsome. TME is also great to deal with. Were I still in the market...
Old 04-24-2019, 01:30 PM

Both good choices, I have never played a collings but I am a big martin fan.

While martins are overpriced here in the uk you will probably find you loose less money on the martin than you would the collings should you need to sell it on.

For your style of play which sounds very similair to mine have you considered a 00 instead of a single 0?

Might give you that little bit more versatility while still being a small bodied instrument.

Just my thoughts.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
This question recently came up in this thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=541580 and it’s worth a look as a lot of people weighed in.

I love my O1A Trad and I’ll tell you I haven’t once thought about radius on a Collings - they feel great up and down the neck. It’s a very versatile instrument.

Of course you’d be well served to get each in your hands, but I’d be more comfortable sight unseen buying a Collings.

Many thanks for the thread link, much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1985 View Post
Both good choices, I have never played a collings but I am a big martin fan.

While martins are overpriced here in the uk you will probably find you loose less money on the martin than you would the collings should you need to sell it on.

For your style of play which sounds very similair to mine have you considered a 00 instead of a single 0?

Might give you that little bit more versatility while still being a small bodied instrument.

Just my thoughts.

Nice thought but Collings hold their value better. Much less common.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:57 PM

Have not played the Martin 018, but am very fond of the Martin 00s. The 0018 is my favorite Martin.

I have played a Collings 01. It was, for my taste, spectacular. I find the Collings 00s and 0s have a unique combination of vibrancy and color. They're sensational.

If you march down this road you really need to play both choices.

And I've found Collings to hold their value exceptionally well.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I think that the single 0s are some of Collings' best guitars and true hidden gems. They are very balanced (more so than their OMs in my opinion), wonderfully responsive, and nearly just as loud as their larger counterparts. My 01T is my go to acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion