The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the kind replies! The second Bose S1 is 'out for delivery' so it should be here today. Weather forecast is for sun tomorrow so since I'll need to do a test run of the dual S1 setup for Saturday's gig, I'll make a video to update this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Both sound great! Are your vocals on the Isbell cover run direct through the S1? I thought I remember you saying that your guitar went through the VE-8 as did your wife’s vocals and your vocals went in the other channel.

I guess I am asking - now that you have two S1, how is everything routed?

Thanks Methos. Your posts are always great.
Hi Marty. Thanks for the kudos. Yes, in this current setup my vocal mic is going straight into the second channel of the S1, ToneMatch setting to Mic with the reverb at around 25%, bass and treble at around 40% and volume goes up around 65%. I need the extra volume on the S1 to compete with the gain/volume added by the VE-8 to the wife's vocals. Even with the addition of the second S1 my plan is to still run everything into the primary S1 and then run that line out to the second S1 as a slave. Part of the reason I need to do the test run tomorrow!

The wife's vocal and my guitar go through the VE-8 and into channel 1 of the S1, ToneMatch off, reverb off, bass and treble down around 25-35% and volume at the 50% detent. The VE-8 provides additional gain and volume as well as individual EQ and reverb. I find that once set, the VE-8 needs little to no tweaking at the gig except minor volume changes between guitar and mic. All final EQ tweaking is done on the S1 to compensate for the venue/room, and those are usually very minor, usually backing off the bass as needed.

Once the Elite Acoustics Stomp X6 comes in next week I plan to put both mics and guitar through that with most EQ/gain/volume/effects run off that then single output to S1 channel 1 with ToneMatch off and no verb, final minor bass and treble EQ on the S1 with volume at the 50% detent. With the second S1 I could run stereo if I want but at least initially I'm going to go the simple mono route until I get used to the new setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Methos - what time are you playing Saturday? Going to attempt to make it up to the food truck event.
Hi Mike. We're on from 10 to 1. Supposedly outside right in the middle of the food trucks but this will be the first time for us and having dealt with this promoter before we know that you never really know where you'll be until you're actually there. But we do know we'll be outside. Latest forecast has the rain clearing out overnight with sunny, cool and breezy conditions on tap. Hopefully not too breezy for my tent although I do have sandbag weights. I'm assuming the American Idol guy and Pats cheerleaders are performing inside but not positive on this either. If you make the trip make sure you stop by and say hi!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:42 AM

I have nothing to add but I just wanted to say that you guys sound great!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:31 PM

As I was waiting for the first video to load, I was thinking, "I hope they're really good". Well, I didn't need to worry. You and your wife do indeed sound really, really, good.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Hopefully not too breezy for my tent although I do have sandbag weights.
You can bring four empty gallon milk jugs or laundry detergent bottles and fill them with water when you get there. You can attach them to the feet or frame of the tent and it should be pretty stable.

I only say that because sometimes the weights that you buy for them aren't heavy enough, but four gallons of water usually is. Filling them there cuts down on load in weight. Make sure you'll have access to water.

Did I read that right about two S1 Pro's covering a crowd of 10,000, or are you just hoping to cover the immediate vicinity? Good luck! 10,000 people can generate quite a bit of noise!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 04-25-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Did I read that right about two S1 Pro's covering a crowd of 10,000, or are you just hoping to cover the immediate vicinity? Good luck! 10,000 people can generate quite a bit of noise!
I think he meant he'll be playing in an area where a crowd of some 10,000 is expected to pass through, over the course of the weekend.

Sounds like a great time.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-25-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I think he meant he'll be playing in an area where a crowd of some 10,000 is expected to pass through, over the course of the weekend.

Sounds like a great time.
This is the case. And thanks for the water jug tip. They actually sell special empty water containers that are shaped to go around the poles pretty cheap. I'm just not sure about access to water.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Hi Mike. We're on from 10 to 1. Supposedly outside right in the middle of the food trucks but this will be the first time for us and having dealt with this promoter before we know that you never really know where you'll be until you're actually there. But we do know we'll be outside. Latest forecast has the rain clearing out overnight with sunny, cool and breezy conditions on tap. Hopefully not too breezy for my tent although I do have sandbag weights. I'm assuming the American Idol guy and Pats cheerleaders are performing inside but not positive on this either. If you make the trip make sure you stop by and say hi!
Not sure we will get there early enough to catch you. I didn't realize they expect such a huge crowd, wondering about parking. With a total of 100 vendors (only 15 actual 'trucks'), that's 100 people in front of every vendor - doesn't seem so much over 6 hours, but in fact most people will be there in the noon-2pm time.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Not sure we will get there early enough to catch you. I didn't realize they expect such a huge crowd, wondering about parking. With a total of 100 vendors (only 15 actual 'trucks'), that's 100 people in front of every vendor - doesn't seem so much over 6 hours, but in fact most people will be there in the noon-2pm time.
I do expect it to be fairly busy. That 10k attending is likely a fictional figure based on the number of people that clicked on 'Interested' on the event's Facebook page. Also, the weather right now seems to indicate that the rain is going to be ending by noon-ish, so that throws a wrench into things for us. Now forecasting it to only be in low 50's plus rain. Most if not all of the non-food truck vendors will be on the inside of the ice arena. It it's raining when we get there I would imagine they will put us inside. Lot's of unknowns at this point. I do know that parking is going to be 'limited' at the venue onsite and they are running a shuttle from nearby, another thing that will likely reduce the turnout.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I do expect it to be fairly busy. That 10k attending is likely a fictional figure based on the number of people that clicked on 'Interested' on the event's Facebook page. Also, the weather right now seems to indicate that the rain is going to be ending by noon-ish, so that throws a wrench into things for us. Now forecasting it to only be in low 50's plus rain. Most if not all of the non-food truck vendors will be on the inside of the ice arena. It it's raining when we get there I would imagine they will put us inside. Lot's of unknowns at this point. I do know that parking is going to be 'limited' at the venue onsite and they are running a shuttle from nearby, another thing that will likely reduce the turnout.
I saw something from the organizer that says 2000 people, and where the overflow parking will be. Since the food trucks will actually be in the main parking lot, there wont' be ANY parking for attendees there.
Forecast I saw was morning showers and windy.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Some photos of the new setup, new review and demo coming in standalone thread.

Last edited by Methos1979; 04-25-2019 at 09:28 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification