The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Going in Deep - NUGD

This is a story not a review. I bought a used 1999 Martin D-18 VS. The minute I picked it up I bonded with it as it felt like the guitar I have been looking for. I had a D-18V many years ago and I can't get it out of my head. Now days I like 12 fret guitars and I ran into this VS. It is in great shape. The finish has thinned with age, and I love the balance deep robust sound. It's not a cannon as some would imagine. But there's always a but somewhere, the nut seemed to be cut too low. Open strings would buzz when played with a good attack. Plus, I needed a K & K installed to perform with it. I packed it up and traveled to my luthier to put it in line to get the work done. So, I wait. I didn't get a call, so I had to remind them. I get a call a couple of days later and it seems that there is a problem with the truss rod that he found when doing the finale set up. He said he'd call the Martin repair shop contact for Martin repair people and get right back to me. So, I waited some more. Better than a week later he called me, and it seems the Martin guy was on vacation. It seems there's three options to get the problem solved and it's more or less if the first thing doesn't work you go to the next etc. The price keeps going up of course. The bottom line for me is I want it repaired well and correctly which I believe he can do. I got the guitar at yesterday's fair price which would be a good deal today. I am totally taken with the guitar and believe me I have had more than my share of high-end guitars. So, I asked about the expense and told him to repair it and I will pay what it takes to get it done. I'm all in on this is what I'm saying. I am really excited to get this guitar someday.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-01-2022, 09:14 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Good for you! Sticking with a guitar that you love is wise. That visceral connection is all too rare. I suspect she’ll be superb when you get her back…and we’ll worth the money.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 07-01-2022, 09:21 AM

A lot like owning a used car. I've bought a number of new guitars and some like new instruments and amps/gear to record with over the last 3 years, no problems with playability. * I drive a 25 year old car everyday and it requires regular upkeep/upgrade. Ongoing.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

The VS 12 fret models are special for sure. I have D-28 Herringbone 12 fret (like a VS) that was one of the 10 that George Gruhn had Martin build after a 1936 original model he had come through his shop. I don't play it that often (it deserves to played everyday) but when I do I'm always reminded why I bought it. Oddly enough it likes PB 12's and 13's seem to choke it...go figure.
Enough about my guitar...congrats on the D-18VS. I know it will be a stellar guitar and a keeper for you!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-01-2022, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Good guitars come and go, but great guitars are a whole different story! Good for you on doing what it takes to get the guitar repaired correctly. I know you'll love it for years and years when it comes back home.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-01-2022, 09:36 AM

Good to hear of the value you place on this older guitar. It's like a reflective pause in our collective feeding frenzy. Here's hoping you're rewarded with a setup that ultimately ends up perfect.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Cool to hear of your connection with this guitar Mr Jelly. Hope it all works out for you and you get back it back sooner rather than later. Report back!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-01-2022, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

…one of my all time favorite Martins….congrats on snagging a fine one!
Old 07-01-2022, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Hi Mr. J,

A Martin D-18 VS is a really great guitar, so I feel pretty certain that the price to fix this guitar up the way you want it will be worth it.

Congratulations on a very cool guitar!

- Glenn
Old 07-01-2022, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I am with you on this. Get your guitar in optimum playing shape. It’s worth it. You’ll play it for years. That repair bill will amortize to pennies a day.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 07-01-2022, 03:07 PM

Good move! Those are hard to find and you can't buy 23 years of aging and finish thinning. Makes a huge difference in sound. It will be better than ever and worth the wait!
Old 07-01-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
The VS 12 fret models are special for sure. I have D-28 Herringbone 12 fret (like a VS) that was one of the 10 that George Gruhn had Martin build after a 1936 original model he had come through his shop. I don't play it that often (it deserves to played everyday) but when I do I'm always reminded why I bought it. Oddly enough it likes PB 12's and 13's seem to choke it...go figure.
Enough about my guitar...congrats on the D-18VS. I know it will be a stellar guitar and a keeper for you!
Let me know if you ever decide to sell that one.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Let me know if you ever decide to sell that one.
You get the right of first refusal!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-02-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

The rest of the story. I got a call yesterday afternoon, and the guitar is done. My wife and I jumped in the car and headed out. The luthier is an hour away. These particular Martin guitars or guitars of this time period were made with a bad truss rod design. The truss rod sits in an upside-down U channel. At some point when tightening the rod, the tightening washer and nut slip down and out of the channel. The luthier did a heat sink. I think that's what he called it. It sounds like a type of heating iron and clamp that he put on the neck. He slowly heated the neck to somewhere around 180 degrees. At that point the glue loosens up and the neck takes on the new clamped angle. When it is left to cool that's where it is as the cooled glue reglues itself. I understand it can be done numerous times. I am amazed at how perfect the action is. Seriously, it is better than my new Martin. So, what did he charge me? Sixty bucks. I had a new nut made, that looks factory made, and K & K mini put in and the neck reset all for $175. I supplied the K & Ks. I was playing it and looking at it last night. It's got two little bumps and that's it. No breaks. But you can feel it's age. It sure doesn't feel like my new Martin. The sound is really different in that it's like a presence more than like something making sound. It's like it is around you not coming from the guitar. Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I almost forgot. The boys are back together. My own Animal Kingdom.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...1&d=1656775361
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20220701_233616.jpg (43.5 KB, 92 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion