The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 03:04 PM

Default Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe

Anyone have any experience with the Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe? In the Comments section on some Youtube videos, some have said that it sounds brighter to them than other Martin dreads -- more like a Taylor. I think I can hear that, too, on the Youtube clips. Just wondered what others here thought. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, Have been looking at 000-28 MD's online.

If they too. sound like a Taylor, I should look elsewhere.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe? In the Comments section on some Youtube videos, some have said that it sounds brighter to them than other Martin dreads -- more like a Taylor. I think I can hear that, too, on the Youtube clips. Just wondered what others here thought. Thanks.

Call Maury's Music good sir...Maury will shoot it to you straight on that Q {;-)

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-29-2022, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

While I've never played a Modern Deluxe model I have found that in videos (and I know that's not really how they should be judged) that compare the MD to the Standard model, I always prefer the voicing of the Standard models better. The MD's do sound a little brighter to me with a lesser bass response. But again...that's on YT videos not in person. Best to A/B them if you can find a shop that has both. Best of luck to you!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-29-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I have not played a D-28 MD, but I have played a D-18 MD and a Standard D-18 back to back to back to back

The MD was brighter than the Standard but it was all Martin. It DID NOT sound at all like a Taylor. I liked it a lot!
Old 06-29-2022, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I have not played a D-28 MD, but I have played a D-18 MD and a Standard D-18 back to back to back to back

The MD was brighter than the Standard but it was all Martin. It DID NOT sound at all like a Taylor. I liked it a lot!
I agree...I can't believe any of the MD's would come close to sounding like a Taylor? Lots of structural differences between the MD and Standard D-28 as well. So even though they are both D-28 models they are more (to me) of a contrast rather than a comparison?

Old 06-29-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
While I've never played a Modern Deluxe model I have found that in videos (and I know that's not really how they should be judged) that compare the MD to the Standard model, I always prefer the voicing of the Standard models better. The MD's do sound a little brighter to me with a lesser bass response. But again...that's on YT videos not in person. Best to A/B them if you can find a shop that has both. Best of luck to you!
I considered getting a MD, but I preferred the HD-28 -- based solely on those videos, though. Wish I could play them in person, side-by-side. Actually, while I'm wishing, I wish there was a store close to me that had all the high-end and mid-range Martins, Gibsons, Guilds, Larrivees, Furch, and others. I would be in heaven.

Some people were thinking that the MD bridge, pins, and titanium truss rod made the MD sound somewhat brighter. I seriously considered getting the MD, would have liked the wood binding, etc., but finally decided against it.

Last edited by Troubador; 06-29-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:32 PM

They don't sound like Taylors at all. I had two of them at one time. Videos do not do them justice. Imagine you took a new HD-28 and imagine that it was a smile face on the old graphic EQ stereo systems. Now boost the highs and the lows a little more and turn the volume up one notch. That's the modern deluxe. The HD-28 turned up to "11". The penultimate D-28 from Martin. The next step up is the Authentic series which is excellent (as good or better than the boutique builders and cheaper) if you have the budget.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
They don't sound like Taylors at all. I had two of them at one time. Videos do not do them justice. Imagine you took a new HD-28 and imagine that it was a smile face on the old graphic EQ stereo systems. Now boost the highs and the lows a little more and turn the volume up one notch. That's the modern deluxe. The HD-28 turned up to "11". The penultimate D-28 from Martin. The next step up is the Authentic series which is excellent (as good or better than the boutique builders and cheaper) if you have the budget.
Thank you for that perspective; that is a very helpful description. When I was still searching, I thought I could afford a used MD, if I could find the right price. I might regret not getting one, but I do like the HD-28 very much. I didn't have the budget to consider the Authentic series.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:31 AM

In this video, I prefer the HD-28:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SO24jxRds

In both of the following videos, I also prefer the HD-28:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-sgK_Z51TU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r-WkMamM2U

So, I guess I made the right decision, for me, in getting the HD-28. But I do like that maple binding on the Modern Deluxe. And if I had an extra $4000 or so lying around, I might get it.

If I had to choose between the Authentic and the Modern Deluxe, that would be a difficult choice for me.

I have to say that after sampling guitars from a good many different companies, Martin is still my favorite.

Last edited by Troubador; 06-30-2022 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:37 AM

From what I understand, it's mostly the VTS top and hide glue construction that make the difference.

While the 000-14F custom shop in this video isn't a modern deluxe, it is constructed with a VTS top and hide glue, and Chris goes into explaining some on how that affects the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEYQnbDehDo
Old 06-30-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
In this video, I prefer the HD-28:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SO24jxRds

In both of the following videos, I also prefer the HD-28:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-sgK_Z51TU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r-WkMamM2U

So, I guess I made the right decision, for me, in getting the HD-28. But I do like that maple binding on the Modern Deluxe. And if I had an extra $4000 or so lying around, I might get it.

If I had to choose between the Authentic and the Modern Deluxe, that would be a difficult choice for me.

I have to say that after sampling guitars from a good many different companies, Martin is still my favorite.
There is no downside to the HD-28, if that's what you bought. The "sound in your head" is what you need to go for. And, making your HD-28 a little more "high-fi" with the Modern Deluxe isn't going to be for everybody. In fact, if my local dealers are any indicator the HD-28 sells 20:1 to the Modern Deluxe. I think people just love the trusty HD-28.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is no downside to the HD-28, if that's what you bought. The "sound in your head" is what you need to go for. And, making your HD-28 a little more "high-fi" with the Modern Deluxe isn't going to be for everybody. In fact, if my local dealers are any indicator the HD-28 sells 20:1 to the Modern Deluxe. I think people just love the trusty HD-28.
I agree...along with the D-18 and D-28. This video really made me think about what more you'd need from a dread after listening to it...

Old 06-30-2022, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Based on the Maury's clip, I like the MD by a pretty small margin When listening with $1000 worth of 32 bit headphone amp & reference headphones

Listening with my $120 ATH-m40x HPs, I can still hear the difference, with a fair edge to the HD-28 sounding better.

It's not the first time that I've seen this sort of difference based on listening signal chain.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I bought a HD-28 Ambertone from a shop in New Hampshire, to replace the one I sold.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion