The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2022, 06:49 AM

Default Sweetwater sent the wrong case

I suppose this is part catharsis, part public service announcement. I like Sweetwater, and they're usually good about their individual pictures of each instrument. They always show the specific serial number, and you can compare between different numbers of the same model to pick out the one you like best. That said, I've recently discovered their case pictures aren't so individualized.

Bought a D15M from them, and I noticed when I was picking it out that some come with the 345 case (3 gold latches), and some come with the 4-series case (445?) that has 5 silver latches, the latter being the higher end case. So I picked a serial number for which I liked the guitar and one that included the 4-series case.

When it arrived, it came with the 3-series case. Emailed them about it, never heard back. Thought of calling, but I'm not sure what they could realistically do if I tried to escalate this. Offer a refund if I sent everything back perhaps, but I like the guitar, so that seems silly. And the 3-series case is decent...it's just not what was pictured.

As far as I know, those 4-series cases only come with new guitars, so I doubt they could send me one. And then there's the hassle of returning the other case. So I'm thinking the best course of action here is just to accept it, move on with life, focus on things that actually matter. However, it would have been nice if they had actually acknowledged my email and said sorry, sent me extra tootsie rolls, something.

That's all.

/end PSA.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:56 AM

I've dealt Sweetwater much and I recommend giving them a call. They need to be given the opportunity to make it right. Good for them and good for you.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 06-29-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghostwriter View Post
I suppose this is part catharsis, part public service announcement. I like Sweetwater, and they're usually good about their individual pictures of each instrument. They always show the specific serial number, and you can compare between different numbers of the same model to pick out the one you like best. That said, I've recently discovered their case pictures aren't so individualized.

Bought a D15M from them, and I noticed when I was picking it out that some come with the 345 case (3 gold latches), and some come with the 4-series case (445?) that has 5 silver latches, the latter being the higher end case. So I picked a serial number for which I liked the guitar and one that included the 4-series case.

When it arrived, it came with the 3-series case. Emailed them about it, never heard back. Thought of calling, but I'm not sure what they could realistically do if I tried to escalate this. Offer a refund if I sent everything back perhaps, but I like the guitar, so that seems silly. And the 3-series case is decent...it's just not what was pictured.

As far as I know, those 4-series cases only come with new guitars, so I doubt they could send me one. And then there's the hassle of returning the other case. So I'm thinking the best course of action here is just to accept it, move on with life, focus on things that actually matter. However, it would have been nice if they had actually acknowledged my email and said sorry, sent me extra tootsie rolls, something.

That's all.

/end PSA.
How would you know what they will do unless you actually contact them? There are forgivable reasons for an e-mail being dropped, and they deserve the opportunity to rectify their mistake.
The best thing to do is call them and give them a chance. Sweetwater has a lot of clout with manufacturers and can probably get anything they want if the error was due to their representation of what they offered in their advertising.

Out of a raft of purchases from them I've had exactly one that was an error on their end. They sent a RA and shipping label out and corrected the error at absolutely no cost to me and an apology for the error.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:57 AM

I'd get on the phone. Lord knows they call me enough!
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 06-29-2022, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

It could be that your email was routed to your personal sales engineer and they may have had the day off (or on vacation). I've had an email response from the delayed for a few days for that reason. I'd pick up the phone and call. In my experience they've always gone out of the way to make sure I was completely satisfied with my purchases from them.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-29-2022, 07:29 AM

I’d be willing to bet that Sweetwater will make it right! I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with them and I’ve bought thousands of dollars in items from them!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-29-2022, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Don't you have the number for your special friend from Sweetwater? Give them a call.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 06-29-2022, 07:34 AM

Sweetwater is great for making things right, speaking from experience. Talk to them.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 06-29-2022, 07:38 AM
Runaway Tomato

I hate to pile on, but . . . well actually I don’t hate to pile on . . . where was I? Oh yes, Sweetwater. Call them - they are friendly and work hard to keep customers happy. I must have purchased over ten dollars worth of stuff from them through the years. Well, a leeeeetle more than that . . . . .
Former AGF Moderator
Old 06-29-2022, 07:40 AM

haha these thread always go like this.

Customer: Sweetwater sent me the wrong product and didn't respond to my email.
The internet: How dare you impugn the fine reputation Sweetwater, my favourite online retailer. It's you who have handled this badly.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I think it is reasonable to expect the case shown in the pictures is the one that you will get with that specific guitar. I would call Sweetwater and see what they can do.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 06-29-2022, 07:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Cases

To clarify:
As far as I recall, 345 cases were standard issue for 15 Series guitars and 445 cases were standard for 18's, etc. Martin didn't vary from this practice as far as I know. Perhaps that other guitar may have been a custom shop model?
Jon
former owner, My Favorite Guitars
Old 06-29-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0021 View Post
I've dealt Sweetwater much and I recommend giving them a call. They need to be given the opportunity to make it right. Good for them and good for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’d be willing to bet that Sweetwater will make it right! I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with them and I’ve bought thousands of dollars in items from them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Sweetwater is great for making things right, speaking from experience. Talk to them.

-jay
Hey GhostWriter, anyone that has done business with SWEETWATER knows they are very responsive to their customers needs and requests. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make this issue go away with your best interest in mind. Never have they not addressed an issue I brought to their attention.
Give them a call.
frank
Old 06-29-2022, 07:46 AM

definitely call them, they will make it right and might send some extra candy your way!
Old 06-29-2022, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchord View Post
haha these thread always go like this.

Customer: Sweetwater sent me the wrong product and didn't respond to my email.
The internet: How dare you impugn the fine reputation Sweetwater, my favourite online retailer. It's you who have handled this badly.
Interesting you joined in March , yet you know how "these thread" always go ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion