The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2022, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

I've learned I can drink red wine with fish, and the world didn't end. In fact, everyone got along just fine and both the fish and wine tasted pretty good.

As for guitar stuff - I've learned that for me, what appears to be the biggest factor affecting my ability to play well is the shape of the neck. It's not the width of the nut, or even the string spacing so much.

Thanks to AGF I now have a dozen or so guitars and they vary wildly in dimensions. But for some, there's a certain neck neck (and it's the entire length) that brings out better playing for my style.

I can play just about anything (for what I have, nut widths vary from 43-50mm). But again there's something about just a few of these instruments and it feels like it has to do with the neck dimensionality. I don't have "numbers" so I can't back it up with "data".

But that's my learned story for you -

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 06-27-2022, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I have learned that the AGF continually causes me to desire “better and better” guitars in spite of the fact that I have perfectly fine and lovely guitars already.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
The best Ryan will be better than the best Martin and the worst Ryan will be better than the worst Martin
This whole post is one of the silliest I’ve ever seen in my 10+ years here, and this statement is probably the silliest of the whole thing.

Better according to who? You? If so, why aren’t the best bluegrass guitarists in the world selling their $100k pre-war D-28s to buy a Ryan instead?

There isn’t a single Ryan in existence that I would trade my Martin for, unless I was scheming to immediately sell the Ryan, buy back my Martin, and be $10k richer. That entire style of guitar is categorically unappealing to me.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:30 AM

Here is what I’ve learned in 45 years of playing.

I like Rosewood dreadnought guitars, in particular Martin Rosewood dreadnought guitars.

And that’s where I’m at.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith28 View Post
Upgrading to a new guitar that plays and/or sounds better is absolutely worth the effort & cost. It's shocking how much more inspiring a good acoustic guitar is than a mediocre one.
Thanks. That is a brilliant comment and absolutely spot-on!
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 06-27-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I have been at it for 55+ years. What I learned is that selling or trading off guitars have been some of the worst mistakes I have ever made.
I've learned that if the 72 year-old me could whisper in the ear of the 62 year-old me, I'd have a lot more money now. That pertains to guitars and vehicles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I have learned that the AGF continually causes me to desire “better and better” guitars in spite of the fact that I have perfectly fine and lovely guitars already.
That too...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-27-2022, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Here’s what I’ve learned over the past 20 years of buying, selling and playing many, many guitars:
- I have sensitive ears and very personal taste in tone. I am not as interested in how someone else assesses and defines a guitar’s tone and playability as much as what my ears and hands are telling me.
- I have my own confirmation bias and when it comes to guitars and I can comfortably live with that.
- I have played guitars by many luthiers and enjoy playing their instruments and listening to how they arrive at the range of tone that they each shoot for. Isn’t always what I’m after but still fascinated by it.
- Every guitar that I have ever owned, no matter what builder, price point or woods, played and sounded better as I improved as a player and musician.
- No matter the builder, the price point or the woods, there are both duds and grails to be found if you search long and hard enough.
- I experience as much pleasure and enjoyment from listening to a fine player with a Traugott, Manzer, Somogyi, etc. as I do listening to a fine street musician wailing on an old beat up no name chipboard laminate guitar.
- I didn’t need a lot of disposable income to eventually commission my two custom guitars. Just patience and the discipline to sock a bit of money away each week. (Yes, I’m of THAT generation. :-) )
Best,
Jayne
Some absolute gems in that comment. Particularly the last two points.
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...

Last edited by Adamski; 06-27-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:46 AM

In 30 years of playing guitar and having next-to-no money free to buy them with (largely as result of trying to work as a musician and do something I love with my life), I've pretty much found that 'the best' for me is something I don't mind fitting a set of pickups to and taking out to places where I can share my music and, when things are good, get paid for it.

I'd love to play a Ryan Cathedral or even a 50 series Lowden, but just to experience it... much like I would a Stradivarius, for example. I don't want to own one. I'd rather those things go to people who'd look after them, given the craftwork, history and intrinsic value they possess.

My guitars are going to have to survive airlines, get DPA4099 mounts clamped on them (often with painter's tape as well), they're going to mostly end up with two output jacks in the tail-block (although Fishman may have cured me of this with the Powertap Earth), they'll inevitably get some buckle rash no matter how careful I am and they'll be taken to festivals and played outdoors in all sorts of European and stereotypically bi-polar British weather conditions.

That's how I enjoy them, and that's what guitars bring to me, fun-wise. I doubt I'd have had as many great social interactions, or even met my incredible wife, if I didn't take guitars (and fiddles, to a lesser extent) out into places where people are letting their hair down.

But I'm glad people demand beautiful, sacred-tier instruments, and I love looking at and hearing other people's collections.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-27-2022, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
In 30 years of playing guitar and having next-to-no money free to buy them with (largely as result of trying to work as a musician and do something I love with my life), I've pretty much found that 'the best' for me is something I don't mind fitting a set of pickups to and taking out to places where I can share my music and, when things are good, get paid for it.

I'd love to play a Ryan Cathedral or even a 50 series Lowden, but just to experience it... much like I would a Stradivarius, for example. I don't want to own one. I'd rather those things go to people who'd look after them, given the craftwork, history and intrinsic value they possess.

My guitars are going to have to survive airlines, get DPA4099 mounts clamped on them (often with painter's tape as well), they're going to mostly end up with two output jacks in the tail-block (although Fishman may have cured me of this with the Powertap Earth), they'll inevitably get some buckle rash no matter how careful I am and they'll be taken to festivals and played outdoors in all sorts of European and stereotypically bi-polar British weather conditions.

That's how I enjoy them, and that's what guitars bring to me, fun-wise. I doubt I'd have had as many great social interactions, or even met my incredible wife, if I didn't take guitars (and fiddles, to a lesser extent) out into places where people are letting their hair down.

But I'm glad people demand beautiful, sacred-tier instruments, and I love looking at and hearing other people's collections.
Oddly, I trained as a violinist, and am fortunate enough to have played a number of Stradivarius'. The most famous of which was The Lady Blunt (which I played at the auction preview at Sotheby's in 1984 before it sold for a record £820,000) it sold again in 2011 for £9.8 million...it was nice...I must say though that I've played better!

The nice thing about these is that all guitars seem cheap by comparison!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 06-27-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
This whole post is one of the silliest I’ve ever seen in my 10+ years here, and this statement is probably the silliest of the whole thing.

Better according to who? You? If so, why aren’t the best bluegrass guitarists in the world selling their $100k pre-war D-28s to buy a Ryan instead?

There isn’t a single Ryan in existence that I would trade my Martin for, unless I was scheming to immediately sell the Ryan, buy back my Martin, and be $10k richer. That entire style of guitar is categorically unappealing to me.

Agree 100%.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Never has a truer word been said. 80% I should have held on to and be selling today!
yea,, I'm usually a "hanger on'r."

I only sell stuff I don't "bond" with.

even tho some where nice guitars, me and "it" never saw eye to eye.

those are few and far between, which probably a good reason leading up to me having about 20 guitars at the moment.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-27-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Mahogany is great for chairs...I'll give you that!
isn't that were talking about here? Chairs?
Old 06-27-2022, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post

You're the perfect fit for a satin finish carbon fiber guitar!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-27-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
(not blanket statements but universal truths!)
"The reason a guitar is more expensive is because it can command a higher price."

In other news, we have nothing to fear but fearsome things.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:56 PM

I’ve learned that these discussions never end, that’s the great thing isn’t it?

This is my subjective opinion in 20 or so years, which is one of things I’ve learned; statements made about “best” are solely subjective.
There can a be a somewhat majority consensus though, regarding best and that drives sales/prices/demand etc.
Best to me is Brazilian, but that’s not true for everyone. I have had Indian, Madagascar, Guatemalan and maybe some others over time and what I own now is Brazilian, 4 of them and none of the other rosewoods. So it’s not like im just biased. My ear evolved I like to think and that’s what it prefers.
I do own other tonewood guitars and love them for what they are, variety is the spice no doubt.

As one that looks to acquire/sell/trade the grass is always greener, its something about the hunt. I’ve got rid of some guitars and in the back of my mind a voice told me not to, should listen to that! I do have some regrets but overall it’s a honing of what really drives your interest and enjoyment.

I’ve found some incredible guitars that I would never have searched for or wanted to consider just by the fact of keeping an open mind in diligently searching. Finding some at great prices is all it takes.

A guitar that feels right in the hands way outweighs looks, thats paramount to me just above sound. If it doesn’t feel good I don’t want to pick it up, period. Then if it has the sound and look, it’s grail.

Rarity adds to its hierarchy as well.
Brands go back to the majority comment, consistent quality drives this. Although I’ve had some boutique guitars that were incredible but not crazy money. One in particular the voice told me to keep, I regret that. There are exceptions both ways of this.

The D is overrated in my opinion, the Modified V neck is my favorite and so crucial in a good guitar.

Lastly, there will always be more!

Last edited by 383roller; 06-27-2022 at 01:09 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion