The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-16-2022, 10:29 AM

Default Manuel Contreras II Doble Tapa

Does anyone have any experience and thoughts on the builder and specifically this model? I came across what appears to be a reasonable deal on an early 2000s model with Brazilian back and sides. Is it a suitable fit for Estas Tonnes type playing?
Old 06-17-2022, 11:48 PM

Default The Contreras is a top level classical guitar…

… made with a second internal soundboard in front of the back.

Manuel Contreras was one of the most famous builders to come out of the Ramirez workshop under the supervision of Jose Ramirez III. His instruments are considered to be concert quality with many well known classical performers playing them. After he died his son took over building the instruments, but I believe he has also now passed away and his one time assistant is now in charge.

I’d not heard of Estas Tonne so had to look him up on YouTube. He plays a nylon string instrument but appears to use amplification and effects. The Contreras is likely to be a lovely instrument but is probably more suited to the classical repertoire where tone colour and complexity of sound are essential.

That said, anything should sound good on this guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical