The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-10-2022, 11:27 AM

Default how many recommend warmouth

how many of you guys recommend Warmouth necks. I think I 'm going to send for a wider neck for my Tele.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a Warmoth Strat since the mid 90's. The neck in particular is amazing. It's constructed with two pieces of maple (much like a maple/rosewood fretboard combo would be) This neck has not required a truss rod adjustment since I bought it. It is without a doubt the most stable guitar I've owned. Mine is a compound radius with jumbo frets and I've had many friends comment over the years that it felt better than any Strat they'd ever played. It's got it's own, well earned relic going on and looks like it's gigged because it was my main axe for many years. My kids will get to fight over the guitar when I go. Did I mention that I like Warmoth
Old 06-10-2022, 01:22 PM

Warmouth make parts of outstanding quality, fully licensed by Fender (amongst others I imagine). I have a friend who swapped out his Fender PB body for a Warmouth. This is a guy with a vintage 60s Jazz amongst many others. The Pb is now his main stage instrument.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-10-2022, 01:32 PM

I bought my Warmoth Strat neck in 2007 or 2008 for my parts-o-caster build. It's a quality neck and although I didn't need it, I understand they have great customer service as well.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:38 PM

I have Warmoth replacement necks on both my Tele and my Jazzmaster. They are outstanding products.

Here's the Tele (1.75" nut) at work. I did an inlay free ebony board over a maple soft V "boatneck." Feels great.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-11-2022, 06:20 AM

BTW, being licensed by Fender is a pretty low bar. All the manufacturer has to do is acknowledge Fender's ownership of the trademark, not copy any Fender logo, and make it clear they are not Fender. It does not imply any quality assurance by Fender of the design or manufacture.

That said, my limited experience with Warmouth is all excellent.

Trademarks are the very best form of intellectual property protection as they last forever. Fender, Gibson, and Martin, might have played that card better, but I don't know the history.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-11-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I have Warmoth replacement necks on both my Tele and my Jazzmaster. They are outstanding products.

Here's the Tele (1.75" nut) at work. I did an inlay free ebony board over a maple soft V "boatneck." Feels great.

So so cool!! I can't even hold a flatpick, you make that thing sing! Is it a noticeable difference between your original neck and the 1 3/4 neck?
Old 06-11-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
So so cool!! I can't even hold a flatpick, you make that thing sing! Is it a noticeable difference between your original neck and the 1 3/4 neck?
Thank you!

The guitar is a 90's American Standard, which had a 1 11/16ths inch nut, and a shallow C shaped profile... I'd say the bigger difference is in the depth of the necks contour, but that makes the neck feel quite a bit bigger overall.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-11-2022, 05:18 PM

As a sidebar, these days a new Warmoth neck can be cheaper than a refret on your current neck. I have a P bass with a neck I don't love, and it needs frets. An LA fret job with Jescar EVO Gold hypoallergenic frets is $500. A Warmoth neck, unfinished roasted maple with basic black dots, a Tusq nut and EVO frets, is $340.

Couch Standards
Old 06-11-2022, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I’ve got three of them….theyre as good as any of the other makes I’ve tried….musickraft…usagc….Fender…
Old 06-12-2022, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I don't have a Warmoth neck, but I do own an ash tele body. Very nice! I think they make great stuff!

Last edited by BoneDigger; 06-13-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

I am almost done upgrading a 1981 Strat Kit by Saga with a new Warmoth neck with a 1 7/8” nut vs the 1 5/8” nut on the original Saga neck. Warmoth’s customization choices are impressive. You get to choose the nut width, fret size/type, neck wood, fretboard wood, headstock shape, neck profile, and more!

I bought an unfinished neck which reduced the price a bit. The Warmoth neck is well made. My Saga kit turned out to be a close-but-not-quite-Fender-Strat spec, so the Fender neck holes on the Warmoth neck did not match the Saga holes ad I needed a StewMac 0.5 degree neck shim to get my desired neck angle and action. Both were minor fixes. I also did some minor setup filing on the nut slots to finish my setup. The neck came with a pre-slotted nut from Warmoth, but they leave the slots a little high so you can cut them to match your string diameters and other setup preferences.

The project is complete on the basic guitar setup side, but I am not quite done on the electronic side. After 40 years the pots and pickup selector switch make noise and need replacing. I bought an upgrade kit from StewMac, but the new hardware will not fit my old pickguard or knobs, so next weekend the project should be complete.

I would not hesitate ordering from Warmoth again. My problem is deciding between a Warmoth-based Telecaster or Les Paul-ish style as my next electric.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:36 AM

Ordered 5 over the years and all were outstanding and highly recommend and made just down the road from Seattle!
Old 06-13-2022, 08:05 AM

I've ordered two Warmoth necks. They were OK< but the fret work was terrible, and one had a back bow that I had to clamp out. I've had better results with Allparts..If I wanted the best neck possible, I would go Musikraft
Old 06-16-2022, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolie View Post
I've ordered two Warmoth necks. They were OK< but the fret work was terrible, and one had a back bow that I had to clamp out. I've had better results with Allparts..If I wanted the best neck possible, I would go Musikraft
This, I have a Warmoth and a Musikraft, the W is ok, the Musikraft is a bit better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars