The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-27-2022, 05:28 PM

Almost finished.
I have lived the culture when I was much younger.
Sad and full of thought.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

"We" by Charles A. Lindbergh - It's Lindbergh's 1927 monograph describing his training as a pilot and the events and process leading up to his solo flight across the Atlantic from New York to Paris. This copy is the 18th edition, from October 1927. Hanging in sight while I read it is a framed 1927 poster from Youth's Companion Magazine, also called "We," depicting a moment in his flight, that belonged to my uncle, Harry. I inherited it a few months ago when we broke up my family's home for my mother to go into assisted living.

In 1940, as England faced Germany alone, uncle Harry ran across the border from the U.S.A. to Canada and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. He trained as a pilot, transitioned into fighter pilot school, and was eventually posted to the RAF final fighter Operational Training Unit #57 at Hawarden, Flintshire, Wales, where he transitioned into the Supermarine Spitfire. He applied to the Eagles Squadrons of the RAF, the units made up of American pilots, but before he could hear word back he was killed in a training accident, July 1st, 1941.

The framed poster hung over his bed. The book was his inspiration. The framed condolence letter from the King and his casualty medal hang in our living room.

In the book Lindbergh showed us how he acquired 350 hours of flight time by buying a surplus Curtis Jenny aircraft. He barnstormed around the U.S., cracked up multiple times, doing his own repairs, and paid his way buy selling flights from farm fields. I've just finished the next episode where Lindbergh spent a year in the U.S. Army's flight school. He successfully graduated as a pursuit pilot, was placed into the reserve, and is now going on to begin flying air mail routes.

Bob
Born in my home state of Minnesota. A real hero for decades, until he went for Hitler at the beginning of World War II. That’s where the myth goes sour.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 04-28-2022, 04:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
Born in my home state of Minnesota. A real hero for decades, until he went for Hitler at the beginning of World War II. That’s where the myth goes sour.
Yup. He really didn't like Brits and was convinced they wouldn't be able to last out the Bttle of Britain. Then there was his concept of his fellow human beings. It seemed as though he felt he had ascended above the rest. In his Wartime Diaries I felt him looking down his nose at me.

Right now I am in Alex Kershaw's account of the most decorated platoon in WWII in the Battle of the Bulge, The Longest Winter.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-28-2022, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I recently read two post civil war frontier novels by Canadian author Guy Vanderhaeghe. I'm usually not big on Westerns or Cowboys and Indians stuff, but this guy is a wonderful story teller, great character development. He starts a little slow to set the scene, but when it all comes together there is plenty of action.

Also reading a bunch of golf books by Tom Coyne. Hilarious stuff if you ever played the game, and also for fans of travel (he visits courses all over Ireland, Scotland and the USA).
Old 06-28-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I just finished Don Winslow's newest, City on Fire and then quickly dug up another to explore. I "read" audiobooks since I like finishing a book in days as opposed to weeks, and I can enjoy them while I attend to chores/hobbies/errands, etc.

I'm now halfway through California Fire and Life, featuring flawed good guys, despicable bad guys and, most fascinating to me, a comprehensive dig into the world of fire forensics and investigations. Unless this one turns boring on me (which I sincerely doubt it could), I plan to plow through all of Winslow's books.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:18 AM

Currently reading An Ocean of Air: A Natural History of the Atmosphere by Gabrielle Walker
Lots of interesting science and history about the remarkable, life sustaining cocktail of substances that envelope our planet.

And The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia
A novel set in Segovia's native Mexico during the time of The Mexican Revolution and the flu pandemic of 1918.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-29-2022, 12:44 PM

I just started reading my first James Patterson book, Big Bad Wolf, an Alex Cross novel. I got the used hardcover at the Salvation Army thrift store for $0.50 and a few other Alex Cross books (all in great condition).

Old 07-06-2022, 08:33 AM

My first Daniel Silva novel, Portrait of a Spy.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:42 AM

Stolen Thoughts by Tim Tigner. Really, really good!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 07-06-2022, 09:22 AM

In my quest to read as many "classics" as possible, almost all of which I managed to miss in my younger years, I'm now reading The Pickwick Papers. I don't remember if I ever tried to read this one before, but it's a lot more readable than I imagined. I get a few chuckles along the way as well reading about the social sensibilities of the time.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:15 AM

Old 07-06-2022, 10:16 AM

Also, this:

Old 07-06-2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
In my quest to read as many "classics" as possible, almost all of which I managed to miss in my younger years, I'm now reading The Pickwick Papers. I don't remember if I ever tried to read this one before, but it's a lot more readable than I imagined. I get a few chuckles along the way as well reading about the social sensibilities of the time.
Dickens is great. He's living in and writing about what seems like a different world from ours today, at first, but you'll start to recognize some similarities . . .

Here's a long, thoughtful essay on Dickens by George Orwell. Written in 1940, so not recent, but still "modern".

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the...arles-dickens/
Old 07-07-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Finally getting around to read: “The Birth of Loud”, by Ian S. Port.
It’s a story about the origins of the electric guitar, particularly those of Leo Fender and Les Paul. Interesting stuff!
THIS is an amazing book if you love guitars!!
Old 07-07-2022, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I reading aloud just tore through C.S. Forester's "The Good Shepherd." We both thought it was really good.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic