The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeWalker View Post
- - - pull - - -

Great resurrected thread on Huss and Dalton guitars -
We need more new posts on these fine guitars.
OK, I will chime in here.

My Huss & Dalton was built in 2005. It is a 12 fret short scale 00 with the "paddle" headstock. Back then Huss & Dalton was still making these with a wider fretboard - 1 7/8" nut and 2 5/16" saddle string spacing. I believe they switched to the narrower 1 3/4" fretboard around 2007.

I describe my Huss & Dalton as a steel string version of a classical guitar - perfect for fingerstyle - easy playing and very responsive with its light build. There is even a label inside warning me to only use light gauge strings, which I would do on all my guitars anyway.

So on to the impulse purchase. I went over to Willie's American Guitars in St. Paul to look at a Larivee P-09 parlor guitar because many here at the time raved about these and Larry Pattis (whose playing I truly admire) played one then too.

The Larivee, nice as it was, did absolutely nothing for me. This is a good example of why, especially with guitars highly touted around here, should be tried before you buy - it just may not be right for you, the individual player.

Anyway, I saw this guitar hanging on the wall with an obviously wide fretboard, so I grabbed it. It was perfect in every way, so I went home with it. I knew nothing of Huss & Dalton and the only reason it was there was as a used instrument, possibly a consignment but I don't recall that for sure. There isn't, as far as I know, a Huss & Dalton dealer around here, so that was simply a fortunate encounter. That was some years ago and while other guitars in my collection have come and gone, the Huss & Dalton stays.

This guitar is simply appointed, with nothing calling attention to itself - until you hear it. It has no electronics - just simple pure acoustic guitar. No matter what else I choose to play, I always come back to this one. I can't think of higher praise for a guitar than that it gets played.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-03-2022, 03:27 AM

Default My unexpected Huss & Dalton Story

So I acquired my Huss & Dalton T-0014 about 3 weeks ago. This is my story:

Firstly a bit of a back story- I've been without my own guitar for several years now. I had to sell some very nice ones just to help make ends meet, and some very good friends have leant me guitars in the meantime. To add to my woes, I have also been suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome the last 18 months or so and have begun to get back to full length playing (rather than 10 to 20 minutes at a time that I was finding was all I could do for some months).

I suddenly found myself in a position to look for one a few weeks ago, again due to the support of a very good friend. I first of all started to look for secondhand guitars online, particularly falling for a very nice Brook Torridge (I have been a Brook player for many many years now). That didn't quite work out, so I went to my local Music shop, Oasis in Ringwood here in the New Forest in the UK. As an aside, they just so happen to also be the distributors of Huss & Dalton guitars in the UK.

I went there ostensibly to have a look at some Eastman guitars, including an AC522Ce, whose arm bevel I thought would be the answer to all my arm woes! Turns out it was even more uncomfortable that any guitars I’ve been playing. It was also like playing with a compressor pedal on all the time- absolutely nothing came back when I tried to dig in. I also tried a Lakewood- a cutaway satin model (can’t remember the model number- auditorium sized, think it was their 32 series). Still uncomfortable and a huge huge wide neck that felt like a cricket bat (think the specs said 46mm, which is huge even by my whopping great hand’s standards!) I was given another Eastman to try, a slot head. Nicer sounding than either the other two, but still nothing inspiring. Don’t know what model it was, around the £1k price range. Then Al, the sales guy said “if it was me buying a guitar I would buy this”. He pulled down what I thought was an OM sized guitar with a lovely sunburst. I didn’t see the name on it at first and just assumed it was another Eastman. My jaw dropped. I nearly darn well burst into tears. This was it, the guitar I had been looking for my entire life. Then I looked at the headstock and saw that rather than a Eastman it was a Huss and Dalton. My heart sank as I thought “bugger, they are expensive”. Then I saw the price tag and it was just within my budget. 2nd hand. I nearly shed a tear again.

So, this is a T0014 Huss & Dalton, 24.9” scale 00, with the most gorgeous sunburst. It is not only 2nd hand but actually was once owned and played in anger by Albert Lee (see the video below). In fact, on searching on the Huss & Dalton Website a T0014 is listed as his signature model, but no details given. Despite being 2nd hand it is virtually mint. The faintest indentation on the top near the very bottom, some slight scratches, but otherwise flawless. Its got a k&k which is my preferred pickup. Got to say the case is a little ropey and battle scarred, but it does its job of protecting the instrument.

It can honestly go into any tuning I want without any change in feel or sound. In fact the intonation is perfect over the entire guitar. Playing above the 7th fret elicits a response that as equally the same as the lower frets, with no tale off in sustain whatsoever. The two treble strings have the buttery, I would say toffee like richness to them. Just the right balance of harmonics and overtones. This is very much in the mood of vintage Martins, but much better made.

Here is the front :

20220610_122411 by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

And the back

20220610_122728 by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

In its case:

20220610_122807 by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

The waverly tuners:

20220610_122716 by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

The gorgeous top

20220610_122550 by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

And here is the headstock

20220610_122436 by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

The bound fret board (which is sublime to play)

20220610_122655 by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

Here is its previous owner putting it through its paces

Here is my latest video I recorded on her, Steve Baughman's excellent arrangement of "Squire Wood's Lament of the Refusal of His Halfpence".

Overall I am finding that this guitar disappears when I play it- let me explain what I mean. The guitar is so easy to play that I am not suddenly thinking 'oh that didn’t sound right played in that position’ or ’the tone of the melody played here doesn’t sound as good’. It becomes a vehicle for the creation of music, not an instrument in itself. What I get back form the instrument inspires me to play more musically. Its almost like I am in control of the worlds greatest tenor- able to sing in hushed whispers or roar like a lion when required.

I performed at a wedding on her a week after I got her- I played for about 100 minutes none stop, which given my wrist and arm woes was pretty amazing. I am happy to say she never let me down, sounded wonderful through the amp I was given, and enabled me to play with more feeling than I have ever been able to muster on any other instrument.

I feel I have found my guitar for life. Up to now I have always played guitars with slightly longer scale when I started writing and composing in alternate tunings- 26" usually. But this has opened my eyes to shorter scale instruments. Not only is it easier to play but I find the tone sweeter, balanced and totally inspiring.
Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 07-03-2022, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Dweller View Post
So I acquired my Huss & Dalton T-0014 about 3 weeks ago. This is my story:
Robbie, that is a lovely story and one very well told. And perhaps a fitting bookend to this thread which I started with my own story more than two years ago when my H&D unexpectedly came into my life. The fact that you can play it, and play it very well, indeed, despite your physical challenges, is a great blessing and makes the fortuity that much sweeter.
I wish you great joy with your new friend. Frankly, after being in the hands of Mr. Lee, it is likely equally greateful to be making its home with you.
David
Old 07-04-2022, 02:13 AM

Lovely playing Robbie! I have a H&D DS-12 custom that I bought from Oasis many years ago (got my Collings, Dave King, Eastman and Sigma there as well so they have done well out of me). Mine is Italian/European spruce with Mahogany B+S but what really struck me was that the tonal signature was instantly recognisable. The trebles are mellow, sweet and like you said “buttery”. The trebles on the Collings are ‘fat’ but more fundamental, the Eastman trebles are bell like and shimmering. If you ever sell that guitar please pm me as it was on my radar!
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion