The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Great review and I am glad the guitar found the perfect home for its next 60 years.

I think the wife and kids, once they faint, their O2 requirements go down so that should give you at least an extra minute or two to make sure the SUV is locked up and to find the neighbor who you can trust to watch the car while you go back in, especially if you know where they fainted, that will save time.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:28 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Good point, thanks! _
Old 03-07-2020, 07:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Matthew, congratulations on your acquisition of this venerable old Martin. Now a whole new chapter in its storied history will be written with you!

I recall reading an article in Acoustic Guitar Magazine (?) a decade or so ago, about the genesis of the Martin OM. If I recall correctly, this new guitar was designed at the behest of Perry Bechtel, who was a famous guitar player back in the early 20th century. He liked to play the entire fingerboard, and found the 12-frets-to-body configuration kind of cramped and limiting. Martin said they would build a guitar to his specifications, hoping for a high profile endorsement, and Bechtel took them up on it.

The article depicted Bechtel as an incorrigible narcissist, a very particular, nitpicky, and demanding customer- a real pain in the tuckus to deal with. Bechtel wanted a medium-sized guitar, with fourteen frets-to-body so he could play up the neck; and it still had to sound like a 12-fret. In their correspondence back and forth, the Martin rep who was in charge at the time displayed saintly patience in dealing with Bechtel's often conflicting demands. They had to build three (?) guitars for Bechtel, before he would be even slightly satisfied with the third attempt.

So, the very conservative, traditional Martin company created this innovative new OM guitar design, which became the first "modern" steel string acoustic.

If I recall correctly, the article concluded saying Bechtel, who apparently could NEVER really be pleased by anything, abandoned his Martin 14-fret OM shortly after taking ownership of it, with some salty, negative comments about the Martin company issued as parting shots.

So maybe Perry Bechtel was a handful of thorns to Martin, but thanks to his intransigent nature, he left the rest of us with a handful of roses, in one of the most revered guitar designs in History.

Enjoy your new old guitar, Matthew- you've earned it!
Old 03-07-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Smile Perry Bechtel

Wasn't PB a Banjo player who switched to guitar?

If so, No wonder he wanted more frets!

How can you tell it is a Banjo player knocking on your door?

He can't find the key, the knocking speeds up, and he doesn't know when to come in!

Enjoy this axe. And have fun

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-09-2020, 05:51 AM

Congratulations Matthew. That’s a lovely instrument. I was fortunate to have one of the 1929 OM28 prototypes and they really are special. Enjoy!

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 03-09-2020, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Whoa! That's an interesting piece of music your instructor is using to demo your guitar! Impressive chops! The guitar sounds wonderful and your story is too - congratulations on finding this treasure!
Agreed, I liked that piece as well.

Congratulations Matthew!
Old 08-04-2020, 06:44 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Agreed, I liked that piece as well.

Congratulations Matthew!
I'll bring that to this Thanksgiving if I can!

Plus, I was remiss in throwing this guy an 80th bday party back on Feb 11th. We were occupied by 'rona.

Last edited by CoolerKing; 08-05-2020 at 08:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop