The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-20-2016, 06:29 AM

Hi Fiddleheadmusic,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will perhaps try to send my unit for repair as well and hope it helps.

As for the mute switch, it was an unpleasant surprise for me when I found out it does let the effect loop come through even after pressing mute. I hadn't analyzed block diagrams in the manual, but I did read the descriptions from it before my purchase. The manual clearly states that (p. 2) "MUTE: footswitch mutes all outputs except tuner out". And later it is repeated: "Depressing this footswitch will mute all outputs except the TUNER out" (p. 5).

Now, from the legal point of view (at least in my country, Poland) this constitutes a basis for a customer to return a purchased product because it does not in fact work the way the manufacturer promises it will in the product description, manuals etc. Radial promises the mute switch mutes "outputs", not some earlier stage of sound processing. Reading a description like this, a customer can rightly have a clear expectation of how this aspect of the device will work, i.e. the mute should cut all signal from coming out of the outputs (except the tuner out).

I wonder how this works in other countries. Would Radial have to accept a returned product if you claimed it does not work according to the description in the manual?

But in all honesty, the mute is not the most serious problem for me. The high level of white noise/hiss is. And it's not just my subjective feeling and I don't have to put my ear very close to the speaker to hear it. It's clearly heard from 10-15 meters and it's bothersome for other people in the church. E.g. other members of the worship team and my pastor made comments about it. Which means I will problably have to either have Radial repaired or replace it with another preamp.

Thanks for all comments and tips in this thread to you all. I enjoy the forum very much and my knowledge of acoustic guitars and guitar amplification increased a lot thanks to spending time here for the last year or so. Thanks!

With greetings from Poland,
Pete
Old 03-20-2016, 09:43 AM

Default PZ-Pre Noise, Mute Switch Operation, etc.

Hello Uncle Pete,
In regard to how Radial Engineering interprets the Mute Switch function on the PZ-Pre, I have submitted the question to them via the FAQ part of their website. I specifically mentioned the Output Section diagram showing the mute switch upstream of the Filter and EQ Section (which includes the Effects Loop).
I also mentioned the User Guide text which, as you reiterated, describes the mute switch function as muting the Pre-EQ, Post-EQ, and Instrument Outputs.
From the original design viewpoint, the preamp only would have active signals coming from the Input Section, so muting the signal just after the Tuner Output would effectively mute all outputs downstream.
All bets are off, so to speak, when the Effects Loop is considered because it acts as another input to the unit. When a signal is present on the FX Loop from a device like your looping pedal, the unit continues to feed the Pre, Post, and Instrument outputs regardless of the mute switch position.
Theoretically, you could supply a signal to the FX return jack from another instrument preamp or a variety of audio sources (a separate mix, a drum machine, an MP3 player, a keyboard, etc.) as long as the level was correct.
I have not experimented with a looping pedal, but any time based effect like delay or reverb could continue after muting the inputs. In some cases, having the delay or reverb signal "tail" diminish naturally after a musical phrase might be desirable, but this above and beyond the original issue.
Whether the advertised performance of the unit varies from the actual operation, and what the legal implications of that would be, remain to be seen.
I'm still several steps behind all of that in that I am still waiting to find out if a second warranty repair of my PZ-Pre is pending. In the mean time, I still have a great preamp signal going to the Tuner and Pre-EQ outputs.
I am concerned about reliability, though, since I'm looking at a second failure of a fairly new unit (less than 10 hours of actual run time over the last year). If the Filter and EQ section can be rendered noisy and inoperable by a component failure (in my case, an IC), it seems that the other sections of the preamp could be vulnerable as well.
My primary motivation to use the PZ-Pre comes from a desire to reduce the size and weight of the gear needed for live performance. My original preamp was a Presonus Eureka channel strip with a preamp, EQ, and compression, but the rack mounted unit was much larger and heavier than the PZ-Pre. The PZ-Pre is being used mainly for a 5 String acoustic violin (Gary Bartig London 5) with an internally mounted piezo electric pickup. The violin sounds great through the PZ-Pre, and the output is very powerful without breaking into feedback too soon. The amplified sound is very true to the instrument's acoustic sound as well. As I am sure you have experienced, the PZ-Pre does great with acoustic guitar as well.
Anyway, more information about the PZ-Pre is sure to follow.
More later,
Phil
Old 03-26-2016, 11:20 AM

Last Thursday I used my PZ-Pre into my Loudbox Mini with the band, and we played pretty darn loud. No noise at all. When I used the Mute it was dead quiet. I use my PZ-Pre this way in order to use it as a boost pedal, for solos.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-26-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
Last Thursday I used my PZ-Pre into my Loudbox Mini with the band, and we played pretty darn loud. No noise at all. When I used the Mute it was dead quiet. I use my PZ-Pre this way in order to use it as a boost pedal, for solos.
I don't notice the noise live, it's more so when I am practicing at home or doing intimate shows. The noise is not terrible, I just find the PZ Deluxe adds about twice as much hiss as my Fishman units. All preamps/DI's will add a bit of hiss, I just like my gear to be pretty silent.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:29 PM

The Radial PZs, both the Pre and Deluxe have a good reputation for how quiet they are. Both of mine sure are. Before purchasing them I did a fair amount of research and spoke with several professional musicians in my area, including one who also runs a shop that specializes in pedals. He told me that although he does not carry the Radial line, he wished he did and the Radial PZ would be his choice for a pre/eq/DI. If your PZ is making too much noise I'd consider sending it to Radial to have them fix/replace it. I've had good, prompt customer service from them via email when I've had technical questions.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I don't notice the noise live, it's more so when I am practicing at home or doing intimate shows. The noise is not terrible, I just find the PZ Deluxe adds about twice as much hiss as my Fishman units. All preamps/DI's will add a bit of hiss, I just like my gear to be pretty silent.
When we practice I can't hear the noise because the lead guitarist's amp is buzzing away...

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 06-25-2022, 02:44 AM

Hi, I have the same issues with my PZ-PRE. When I plug-in my instrument there is no hiss/noise sound but if I connect effects pedal then there is a hiss/noise. Also when I touch the box there is buzzing sound I checked all my pedals separately and they are all ok ✅
What do you suggest
Old 06-26-2022, 07:52 AM

Have you tried a different power supply?
Old 06-26-2022, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATi1907 View Post
Hi, I have the same issues with my PZ-PRE. When I plug-in my instrument there is no hiss/noise sound but if I connect effects pedal then there is a hiss/noise. Also when I touch the box there is buzzing sound I checked all my pedals separately and they are all ok ✅
What do you suggest
Hi guys…(ATi & lkingston)

You have wandered into a thread which is 6 yrs old, and I believe Radial no longer makes the 'old' Tonebone series.

They do make a new version (2 actually). They are called the PZ-PRE and PZ-Pro. The Pre is like the Tonebone (plug in two instruments and switch between). The updated versions have a solid Black front panel.

I'm guessing their service people may be able to provide specific answers, solutions, or suggestions. They are a well respected player in the semi-pro and pro musician markets.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification