The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2022, 01:58 PM

Question Acoustic electric hybrid question

Hello all here's the question what brand of hybrid guitar do people like best? Im a solo /duo sometimes trio with a small kit . Im currently using an Epiphone Chet Atkins SST that i have been using since it was new many years ago......its one of the great epiphones from the past ....it's almost as good as the gibson its a knockoff of .... and wont feed back and i do love it but its starting to get a little long in the tooth and having some various issues with it so i need to get into a newer better guitar . I have a godin multiac acs slim but its nylon and i need a steel string for live work .....i had a godin multiac spectrum SA steel which i loved because it paired nicely with my roland gr55 unfourtunatly i had to sell it and now years later they are very rare and too expensive so no go on that......i have researched a bit and i played a few guitars and i think its narrowed down to godin a6 ultra , american fender acoustasonic strat version or taylor t5 ....i would like to hear some insights from others who have a hybrid style guitars or have any recommendations as i will be pulling the trigger in a week or two .......basically im looking for a guitar that can do acoustic and electric tones and no feed back at stage volume ....thank you

Last edited by goodtimeshow22; 06-29-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:02 PM

I’ve heard good things about the Taylor T5.

whm
Old 06-29-2022, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

I’d go back and look at Godin.

If you can find a Doyle Dykes Ltd Edition, I’d highly recommend checking it out.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:39 PM

I'm really amazed by the Fender Acoustasonic, particularly from the acoustic side.

I've managed some pretty large acoustic sounds plugged in.

https://soundcloud.com/joseph-hanna/...social_sharing
Old 06-30-2022, 12:03 AM

I have the guitar that you let go of: the Godin Multiac Spectrum. I also have a Godin LGXT, which is a solid body electric that also has a 3-way pickup system: piezo, two magnetic Seymour Duncan split coil humbuckers, and a 13-pin synth capability.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:50 AM

I’ve got the American Acoustasonic Tele.
Very happy with it as a versatile on-stage tool. Straight to an acoustic amp or straight to a PA board - I’ve had a lot of positive comments about the sound.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I have the guitar that you let go of: the Godin Multiac Spectrum. I also have a Godin LGXT, which is a solid body electric that also has a 3-way pickup system: piezo, two magnetic Seymour Duncan split coil humbuckers, and a 13-pin synth capability.
yup greatest guitar ever.....hang on to that they are getting every penny they sold for many years ago in resale now .....possibly the only multiac that does ....due to finantial reasons i was forced to part with mine ...a decision i regret every day
Old 06-30-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
yup spectrum was greatest guitar Godin ever made .....hang on to it because they are getting every penny they sold for many years ago in resale nowdays .....possibly the only multiac model
that does ....due to financial reasons i was forced to part with mine ...a decision i regret every day
Old 06-30-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
I’ve got the American Acoustasonic Tele.
Very happy with it as a versatile on-stage tool. Straight to an acoustic amp or straight to a PA board - I’ve had a lot of positive comments about the sound.
i recently played the Telecaster version thru a fishman loudbox mini and was underwhelmed with the tone ...after toggling thru all the different tones and blends i felt it was a little thin sounding but i was really more interested in the strat version which i have heard has a wider tonal palette for my needs unfortunately they didnt have one in stock to try out
Old 06-30-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimeshow22 View Post
Hello all here's the question what brand of hybrid guitar do people like best? Im a solo /duo sometimes trio with a small kit . Im currently using an Epiphone Chet Atkins SST that i have been using since it was new many years ago......its one of the great epiphones from the past ....it's almost as good as the gibson its a knockoff of .... and wont feed back and i do love it but its starting to get a little long in the tooth and having some various issues with it so i need to get into a newer better guitar . I have a godin multiac acs slim but its nylon and i need a steel string for live work .....i had a godin multiac spectrum SA steel which i loved because it paired nicely with my roland gr55 unfourtunatly i had to sell it and now years later they are very rare and too expensive so no go on that......i have researched a bit and i played a few guitars and i think its narrowed down to godin a6 ultra , american fender acoustasonic strat version or taylor t5 ....i would like to hear some insights from others who have a hybrid style guitars or have any recommendations as i will be pulling the trigger in a week or two .......basically im looking for a guitar that can do acoustic and electric tones and no feed back at stage volume ....thank you

Easy play, steel string, electric-like fret access, feedback suppression, sounds like to me that you're describing a Martin SC13e Special. The "Special" version gives you an upgrade pickup system that you'd probably demand. Lightweight and comfortable.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 06-30-2022, 08:10 AM

I gigged with a Taylor T5z for years, it's a great hybrid. I found the pickup combination switch to be effective.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-30-2022, 01:37 PM

It's not the same thing, I guess, but a friend of mine locally has a PRS Hardtail piezo model that seems to be literally the multitool of stage instruments. He's the kind of player that can slot in with any band at a moment's notice, and it's always with that same guitar. It's always convincing, too.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-30-2022, 03:18 PM

Interestingly, my favorite local guitar store has a used Godin.

https://www.gbase.com/powered/mikes-...c-1995-natural
Old 07-01-2022, 09:55 AM

Really depends on your balance of needs between flat-top acoustic and the various flavors of electric guitar. You sound like you have an empirical/gigging situation, so unlike many "I may..." questions on forums, you probably have focused needs.

There's a lot to be said for just carrying two guitars. Not a good for those acoustic intro to loud electric "just like the record" songs, but really it's cost effective and for most things sound best when a setlist has acoustic songs and electric songs. You may have good reasons to no do that.

Nothing I've done when I need the two flavors playing live is modern or state of the art. I have a several-year-old Line 6 Variax. Its modeled acoustic guitar sounds are a bit better than most piezo pickups in an electric guitar options, and at least from the demos I've heard online worse than the $2000 Fender Acoustasonic. Its electric sounds, through regular electric guitar pickups, are fine. For an oddball like me some of the other Variax features are of value: instant alt tunings and a decent faux electric sitar and banjo. It has a 12-string setting too, which I don't think any of the Fenders do.

If I had to play an electric set with short acoustic passages I think I prefer my Variax over the newer Fender. If I had to play an acoustic set with occasional electric parts I'd consider something else.

I've used electric guitars to play acoustic parts. Currently I really like my current Guild Starfire I P90 for this. Its pickups seem reasonably microphonic and at low volumes into a clean amp or direct it gives a reasonable acoustic flavor to parts. No, not deep-fake fool you or "just like the record" by any means, but the flavor gets there even with light gauge electric strings.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-01-2022, 05:07 PM

PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion