The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Some of my favorite guitars since beginning exclusively playing the acoustic guitar have been on the smallish and cheaper side (all things being relative). I readily admit I'm ignorant and haven't played many most the finest offerings of the world (I won't even ask at the guitar store to try something I know I could not or never will afford). The most expensive guitar I've ever had was just under $2K and it was not even close to my favorite.

Having said that, I hear statements like:

"This guitar would be great for a smaller person."
"That guitar would be a great beginner guitar."

I hear it in written and video reviews, I hear it at the guitar store...and yes, those same statements appear here on AGF too.

Seems like one would be led to believe, myself included, that once one learns enough at guitar they can move onto a dread or jumbo? Or maybe you start of with a 23.75" scale and 1 11/16" but you won't be taken seriously until you play a full scale and wider nut? Pshh, whatever...I don't buy it.

Ducking and running for the exit....

I bought a "beginner" size guitar when I was 21 (00). I am 70 now and still play it and love it. It still out-resonates my OM and D. Play what you love.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 07-01-2022, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Seems like one would be led to believe, myself included, that once one learns enough at guitar they can move onto a dread or jumbo? Or maybe you start of with a 23.75" scale and 1 11/16" but you won't be taken seriously until you play a full scale and wider nut? Pshh, whatever...I don't buy it.

No need to duck And "won't be taken seriously until you play a full scale and wider nut?" " is exactly "pshh" and nonsense and you should definitely not "buy it"

However
The size and proportions of a guitar and or it's neck configuration can very much make a difference to someone related to their size and configuration

"great for a beginner" not so much. Other than the easier it is to play the more suited it may be for a beginner .

for example I am average size 5 '10 ' but I have small hands so for example 1 3/4 nut is about max,,, I have one 6 and my 12 that are 1-3/4 but my other two are 1- 11/16 which are a bit easier for me.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-01-2022, 08:18 AM

In addition to this one, I’m a member of a couple of other music sites, and have been for years. One thing they all have in common is opinion masquerading as wisdom. Most people imparting that “wisdom” aren’t blowhards nor do they have evil intentions. They’re trying to help, but its still the internet - it’s only as real as you make it. You have to decide for yourself - if I believed all the stuff I read here and elsewhere, I’d find myself hating things I know I like and liking things I know I hate.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:24 AM

Play what you like. If you don't like a dread or jumbo so be it.

I too tend toward the less expensive end. I own 2 Indiana's, the Scout is not bad. The Madison, well let's just say it doesn't get played much but it was a gift from my wife. So it stays.

The other is a Lotus. No longer made but it does have a decent tone.

My 3 Takamine's are G series. Still paid less then a $1000 with case for each of them. I think the most was $800 something.

I still want my Gibson Dove.

I am like you when in a store. I don't play what I'm not going to consider buying. The only way I will is if the sales person pulls it down or says try that one.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 07-01-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I think that people share opinions from their particular experience of what they have played, what they prefer and what they are most familiar with without realizing that there is such a variety of choices and preferences.
For all of the guitars that I have played over the past 20 years there are still way more instruments of which I have no first hand experience. As happy as I am to pass on what I’ve discovered and learned, it is pretty limited in the larger scheme of things.
Best,
Jayne
Old 07-01-2022, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hear statements like:

I hear it in written and video reviews, I hear it at the guitar store...and yes, those same statements appear here on AGF too.

I expect a D size guitar is less comfortable to play than say an OM for most people, that's a tiny part of why I play OM size. When I went to choose a first "good" acoustic, I tried on OM and D and slightly preferred the sound of the OM. Given that, the smaller size was a no-brainer. I can fill a pretty large space with sound using my OM-28, (provided the strings aren't extra light gauge).

Arthritis in my left thumb also extracts a heavy price for playing heavier strings, and as almost all Ds are designed for medium weight strings, that's another strong point for the smaller body. Heck, for comfort, an electric guitar is far better than any acoustic :-).

Price point vs skill to me is and was a simple judgement. When I returned to guitar at the opening of global pandemic, I started with a $400 Ovation. It made sense to explore, see how quickly old skills would return, and work with that instrument for a while before investing real money in a better axe.

The Ovation has a lot of flaws for my playing: the neck is quite narrow, a bit less than 1-11/16" and wide space above and below E & e respectively make the spacing even harder for me. While it's got more even tone across the range, it doesn't have great tone anywhere.

It was a great guitar for getting restarted, and I'm extremely glad I decided to move on to a Martin while they were still being sold at discounts below factory suggested.

As for price point, my hand built Strat style electric plays and sounds far better than my factory Fender that now retails at $1300. A custom electric measuring up on either looks or sound would run $4-5k.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion